After 6 games

Roll Tide

16 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

After 6 games, please, some of my fellow fans, come down off the ledge. We have been competitive in every game so far. Even the 8-0 game against the Rays was 4-0 until Fry came in. We have had opportunities to win every other game. A little luck, and we probably have two more wins. Would you be as upset at 3-3? Small sample and all. 

The two biggest problems for me, so far. 1) We strike out far too often. We are pressing at the plate, badly. It appears some guys are trying to take some pitches and improve their swing decisions, while others seemingly swing at anything. We have to get more…something…from Odor/Gutierrez, Chirinos/Bemboom and Owings. The main hitters will be fine soon. They are all pressing right now. 2) Injuries to Kremer, which led to that awful game by Watkins, and John Means give me great concern for our starting pitching. Lyles should be fine, and I expect a lot better from T. Wells too. As bad as Watkins pitching was, he was still decent if he does not make two bad throws to bases. If Alex Wells can just give us decent starts until Means returns, that would really help stabilize things. We deserve some good luck at this point.

Starting off against the Rays certainly did not help. We’ll snap out if this skid. Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Urias and Santander are all better hitters than they have started out. They are all adjusting to new hitting coaches and preparation. That might take a little time to adjust to, and we’ll be better off for it long term.

No excuses, but a younger team like this one really needs a full Spring training. Veteran teams are better equipped to deal with the individual preparation needed.

I know, some here just want to find reasons to rant against ownership and/or Elias. I’m not going to change your minds, and I’m not going to try. But this team is better than 2021, and it’s going to get much more exciting as time goes by with young talent coming, albeit not quick enough. These close losses have been painful, sure. But young teams have to learn how to prepare and how to win games at the major league level. Try to enjoy the ride. 

The Kremer injury did not lead to the Watkins start.

Kremer was warming up to come in Sunday's game in relief ("piggyback") of Wells when he felt the pain.   So he was never going to be the starter Tuesday.

Hyde had strongly hinted on Opening Day that someone would be brought up to be the 5th starter Tuesday and that having 14 position players to start the season was a temporary thing.

So even if Kremer hadn't gotten hurt, Watkins would likely have come up for DJ Stewart and started Tuesday, based on what we know.

The only thing that the Kremer injury has caused is the promotion of Alex Wells, who hasn't pitched anyway, so it is pretty much a moot point.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

The Kremer injury did not lead to the Watkins start.

Kremer was warming up to come in Sunday's game in relief ("piggyback") of Wells when he felt the pain.   So he was never going to be the starter Tuesday.

Hyde had strongly hinted on Opening Day that someone would be brought up to be the 5th starter Tuesday and that having 14 position players to start the season was a temporary thing.

So even if Kremer hadn't gotten hurt, Watkins would likely have come up for DJ Stewart and started Tuesday, based on what we know.

The only thing that the Kremer injury has caused is the promotion of Alex Wells, who hasn't pitched anyway, so it is pretty much a moot point.

Steve, I have seen it written and said both ways. Some said Kremer was supposed to be the 5th starter. Maybe you are correct, IDK.

It was assumed by many that the “outside” pitcher was hopefully going to be a waiver claim or a veteran opt out. Perhaps Watkins was the guy all along.