The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

From MLBtraderumors.com

Red Sox Made $200 Million Offer To Teixeira?

By Tim Dierkes [December 15 at 2:16pm CST]

Take it with a grain of salt, but we have a report of a report that the Red Sox offered Mark Teixeira an eight-year, $200MM deal. Earl Bloom of the Orange County Register heard ESPN's Dan Patrick say it on his radio show. It'd be best to treat the report with skepticism until it's confirmed by another source.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the "Roch only reports what the Orioles tell him to" crowd:

I really, really doubt that Roch has been ordered by someone way up the ladder to hide/deny/withhold any information, or to purposely leak any other information. It's okay to take off your tin foil hats. We're talking about an organization who hasn't had a winning record in 11 years, not the CIA, here.

To everyone else:

Can we please drop the whole Ravens game/private suite/Angelos/Biscotti discussion? Nobody can say for sure if he was there or what happened, and frankly it makes no difference. What makes the difference is the contract we want to give him. If we pay him the most money, he'll come home. If someone else pays him similar or more money, he'll probably go to one of the other teams that have been mentioned. I know we're all big time fans here desperate for some good news, and I like the tidbits from those with insider info as well, but these "Mark Teixeira watch" threads are getting ridiculous.

I completely agree with your second post.

as for your first, I agree as well... but not to nitpick -- I don't think thats what the people you are referring to are saying. I believe the "counter-roch" argument is not that he's a robot -- it's about the availability of information. Roch will report what his sources tell him, not what his sources tell him to report. There in lies the difference. If Roch's sources tell him XYZ, he's going to report that he was told XYZ. If the Orioles are trying to release only portions of material, then his sources might say XY instead of XYZ -- thus changing what he's reporting. It's not to say he's a pawn or a robot... it's merely the stance that while as good as Roch is -- he's not superman with X-ray vision. And to a certain extent he's just not going to be able to report exactly what is going on... nobody can!!!! That's why I just choose to remain as far from this whole game as possible. At the end of all this, we'll be able to look back and laugh -- or cry.

Ah, JTrea81 ever the optimist. I like that. I am the yang to your ying however. I still think there is 0% chance he signs here. But I will tell you that if you are right and I am wrong it shouldn't be a shock that the media completely whiffed on it. Again, I think it is telling that MacPhail was able to meet with Tex prior to the meetings without anyone knowing. When Olney and Gammons were reporting that Tex met with Wash and NYY AM's meeting went unnoticed. This guy is good. The fact that MacPhail has been as forthright as he has been about his disappointment if we do not land Tex shows me that he is going to go all out to get him, but he is going to do it the way he does things, quietly and methodically.

I agree for the most part. But honestly, if he was that close to signing with Boston as the media has been saying, it would have happend already. For the past week to week and a half all we've heard is that Boston is his choice and it's close to done with them. But honestly, if there was that much intrest from both sides, the deal would be done and we'd be talking about what pitchers we should go after instead.

The hold-up isn't Boras. Especially if it's that close to getting done with Boston, which would almost certainly result in a knee-jerk reaction from the Yankees for another one of his high profile clients. He'd be pressing Tex to sign ASAP with Boston so Manny could get his $20 million from the Yanks.

My gut tells me that this is close to being done for one team or another. In the end I see him with us or the Angels and all the talk coming from Boston was just the Red Sox pushing the price up for other contenders. If Belkast is right and we made a very high offer, I would expect Boras is calling the Angels, Nats and Red Sox to get they're final offers to present to Tex. And in the next couple of days Tex will make his decision. Hopefully it will be us.

That is ridiculous.

If Teixeira is "using" the Red Sox to get more from the Orioles, it isn't going to be matched now.

I hope it is not true.

Key words here guys...

"Take it with a grain of salt"

"A report of a report of a report" Huh?

No offense to anyone anywhere in the world who reads this line, but at this point, I'll believe NOTHING until I see Tex standing on a podium with his new GM beside him.

Ok, I have been an Oriole fan my entire life. It was my dream to grow up and play for the birds. Now I put my chance on hold when I took a gov. job at 18 and I am now almost 25, I still throw in the mid 80s without any playing on any teams and I am sure I could get back to low 90s, especially with a major league coach. But with that said, if I were offered 8 years and 200 million to play for a team that competes every year and always has a chance to win the series, I would have to definately think about that. Even if my beloved home town team was offering 10 years at 230 million.

Key words here guys...

"Take it with a grain of salt"

"A report of a report of a report" Huh?

No offense to anyone anywhere in the world who reads this line, but at this point, I'll believe NOTHING until I see Tex standing on a podium with his new GM beside him.

Sort of sounds like a rumor that Tex would be at the Ravens game with Peter Angelos. :scratchchinhmm:

Just a thought...

If Boras is "leaking" this information, it would seem that he doesn't really want to sign with the Red Sox. That he's using this to get more money from another organization that he really wants to sign with. Whether that is the O's, Angels, Nats or even someone else, I don't know. The Red Sox certainly aren't going to beat an offer credited to them, that they never made.

Archived