The worst possible outcome

bigbird

Would be the Orioles extending a 10 year $200+ million offer to the hometown boy and he turns it down. What more can we do to attract a player. This appears to be the perfect storm.

BTW as of this morning my guy still says Tex to the Red Sox as early as the end of the week. Lots of people are talking about the weekend rumor. Security has no sign of Tex due to be in the Warehouse today.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen, if we offer that much and he walks that is fine.

its on him. We didn't mistreat him, we didn't insult him, we didn't lowball him.

We didn't jerk him around with BS stadium tours and fancy crabcakes. We made our case and he chose to go another way. Fine, good for him. I will boo him mercilessly and he will miss out on the chance to play for his hometown team, something I sure he dreamed about growing up here.

But if he is going to walk away from that money, there is nothing you can do about it. I don't think it says anything about us as an organization or as a team. When he makes a choice its on him.

Would be the Orioles extending a 10 year $200+ million offer to the hometown boy and he turns it down. What more can we do to attract a player. This appears to be the perfect storm.

BTW as of this morning my guy still says Tex to the Red Sox as early as the end of the week. Lots of people are talking about the weekend rumor. Security has no sign of Tex due to be in the Warehouse today.

Yup, that'd really be a punch in the proverbial gut.

And our gut has been punched about a million times in the last 10 years.

I would agree with you BB. That would be the ultimate slap in the face type move to this team.

I'm wondering if that's why our information isn't getting out in public. Maybe Tex has no desire to play here right now, and we're still trying to woo him privately.

The O's won't make a counter offer.

They think he should take less toc come here. I can't see Angelos going 9-180 or 10-200.

If the O's offered Tex 10-200, he would be an Oriole today.

It depends what he signs for with the Red Sox. If they beat our offer, then I see no problem. If the offers are very similar, then I see some problem but it's not huge egg on our face. If our offer is obviously better, that's very, very embarassing.

The only thing that bothers me is that the Red Sox are the big players here. If Tex went to the Nationals I honestly wouldn't care. I just don't like having to face Tex 18 times a year, also knowing that every Boston fan gets the privilege of wearing his jersey to every game.

Realistically though, I don't think signing him is important to the long term health of this club. Once the pitchers start rolling in, I think there will be some Oriole Magic happening without Tex.

Archived