The worst possible outcome

bigbird

The other FA's we've landed over the past decade have really gone a long way haven't they. And you'll never convince me that Teixiera is really that much of a FA signing that his presence is an attractive prospect in and of itself.

I think that's enough said.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tex going to Boston or NY is way worse than DC.

Having to face him over and over is much worse than him playing on MASN..Hell, that would help the Orioles because it should boost MASN ratings, which is money in the Orioles pocket.

Heh, good point there. Hadn't thought about that.

If the O's make a legitimate offer and Teix goes to Boston, it's a bad result but hardly debilitating. If winning now is high on the guy's checklist, than so be it. The fact is we can't offer that right now.

If we don't get him, it's not the end of the world. MacPhail then moves to getting us some short-term SP help while continuing to build up the talent base in the minors. You can't un-sink the Titanic overnight!

Would be the Orioles extending a 10 year $200+ million offer to the hometown boy and he turns it down. What more can we do to attract a player. This appears to be the perfect storm.

BTW as of this morning my guy still says Tex to the Red Sox as early as the end of the week. Lots of people are talking about the weekend rumor. Security has no sign of Tex due to be in the Warehouse today.

No, that'd be fine. If we lose Tex because we refuse to open the checkbook, that's on us.

If he balks at the largest offer and goes elsewhere, that's on him, and frankly, screw him then.

The worst possible outcome is Tex signing a 10/200 deal and finding out he has a hip like Albert Belle.

No, that'd be fine. If we lose Tex because we refuse to open the checkbook, that's on us.

If he balks at the largest offer and goes elsewhere, that's on him, and frankly, screw him then.

The worst possible outcome is Tex signing a 10/200 deal and finding out he has a hip like Albert Belle.

The worst part of this worst case scenario is that we won't even be able to boo him, because the park will be mostly Red Sox fans.

Listen, if we offer that much and he walks that is fine.

its on him. We didn't mistreat him, we didn't insult him, we didn't lowball him.

We didn't jerk him around with BS stadium tours and fancy crabcakes. We made our case and he chose to go another way. Fine, good for him. I will boo him mercilessly and he will miss out on the chance to play for his hometown team, something I sure he dreamed about growing up here.

But if he is going to walk away from that money, there is nothing you can do about it. I don't think it says anything about us as an organization or as a team. When he makes a choice its on him.

Wow, just "wow". Not sure how you can make this statement. His walking away from such an offer, especially if it is a better offer than any other, to include the offer he accepts from another team, and that says nothing about us? Surely you jest!

I'm just getting sick of the whole situation, I think Roch hit it on the head when he said they need to make their offer public so the fans see they want hard after him. So that in the end if he does sign with Boston he's the one who has to deal with the Oriole fans not them!

I can't get mad at him if he goes to Boston. I can't get mad at him if he goes to NY.

And yes, that includes taking a lesser offer. If he does that, it means he wants to play for a winner.

And who can really honestly blame him?

Take off the orange glasses and flip the script. Say Tex had been born and raised in a Pittsburgh suburb and the Pirates were hot on his heels for him to come home. Then he goes and signs with the Sox or Yanks for a deal that might not pay him as much but will guarantee him playing meaningful games in September. Or say he goes to the Cubs, since they play in the Pirates division. That'd be more fitting.

Would you really be upset with him? Would you really say "What the hell was he thinking? How could he NOT go home to Pittsburgh when he had the chance to play for a winner?"

I'm not saying I'll won't be upset if he goes to the Sox or MFY's. I'm just saying from his viewpoint, I'll understand.

It'll mean that he values winning more than playing for a cellar dwelling team in his hometown.

Can you really fault him for that just because he didn't do what WE wanted him to do?

I can't get mad at him if he goes to Boston. I can't get mad at him if he goes to NY.

And yes, that includes taking a lesser offer. If he does that, it means he wants to play for a winner.

Take off the orange glasses and flip the script. Say Tex had been born and raised in a Pittsburgh suburb and the Pirates were hot on his heels for him to come home. Then he goes and signs with the Sox or Yanks for a deal that might not pay him as much but will guarantee him playing meaningful games in September. Or say he goes to the Cubs, since they play in the Pirates division. That'd be more fitting.

Would you really be upset with him? Would you really say "What the hell was he thinking? How could he NOT go home to Pittsburgh when he had the chance to play for a winner?"

I'm not saying I'll won't be upset if he goes to the Sox or MFY's. I'm just saying from his viewpoint, I'll understand.

It'll mean that he values winning more than playing for a cellar dwelling team in his hometown.

Can you really fault him for that just because he didn't do what WE wanted him to do?

Sure we can, we're fans. our loyalties lie with our team, not a particular player.

Take off the orange glasses and flip the script. Say Tex had been born and raised in a Pittsburgh suburb and the Pirates were hot on his heels for him to come home. Then he goes and signs with the Sox or Yanks for a deal that might not pay him as much but will guarantee him playing meaningful games in September.

Can't argue with this. As far as I see it though, you can then say, that his wanting to take less money to go with a winner, again confirms or validates the obvious, that some/most free agents that can really exercise a choice as to where they'll play, don't see us as a winner and/or that they don't see us as being close to being a winner.

At least I'm forthcoming about not being able to convince me. Refreshing around here, innit? ;)

Yes, can't fault you for having an opinion. For me, it's not so much about him specifically as much as what signing him would represent to the organization and baseball. Just as Olny basically says that it's rediculous for us to even be in this discussion. That's a rediculous comment to me. The owner of this franchise has a better grasp of what this organization can do and what it can't than Olny does. I suppose you could question the judgement of the owner, but his track record is far from being a "free spender" so I wouldn't think his idea of what to spend on Teix is rediculous. I want this franchise to get to a point where people like Olny and Gammons stop seeing us as more of a pest, than a serious baseball team. I'm not saying free spending on FA;s is a solution to that, but it is part of it.

Using the past expenditures on FA's as proof it isn't a good plan is silly. The only worth while FA we've signed this decade was Tejada and he certainly wasn't a failure from any point of view. The rest were questionable signings by an inept FO.

Listen, if we offer that much and he walks that is fine.

its on him. We didn't mistreat him, we didn't insult him, we didn't lowball him.

We didn't jerk him around with BS stadium tours and fancy crabcakes. We made our case and he chose to go another way. Fine, good for him. I will boo him mercilessly and he will miss out on the chance to play for his hometown team, something I sure he dreamed about growing up here.

But if he is going to walk away from that money, there is nothing you can do about it. I don't think it says anything about us as an organization or as a team. When he makes a choice its on him.

Have to agree here 100 percent. If the guy doesn't come here for that kind of money good riddance. It will say volumes about what kind of person he is. $20 million a year for ten years is not good enough to come home tells me he doesn't care about coming "home".

If he turns that kind of offer down, he'll just end up another hired gun with Boston and his legacy will be nothing more than another high priced player bought by the Red $ox so they can compete with the Yankee$.

Really, the only thing this will show is how broke baseball is economically and how the Orioles will never be able to compete year in and year out in the AL East.

Baseball should restructure into economic Divisions. It really is embarrassing what they are doing to a great, great sport.

Have to agree here 100 percent. If the guy doesn't come here for that kind of money good riddance. It will say volumes about what kind of person he is. $20 million a year for ten years is not good enough to come home tells me he doesn't care about coming "home".

If he turns that kind of offer down, he'll just end up another hired gun with Boston and his legacy will be nothing more than another high priced player bought by the Red $ox so they can compete with the Yankee$.

Really, the only thing this will show is how broke baseball is economically and how the Orioles will never be able to compete year in and year out in the AL East.

Baseball should restructure into economic Divisions. It really is embarrassing what they are doing to a great, great sport.

Slam. Dunk. Score.

I was thinking the same thing, Tony. However, out of fear of being labeled an alarmist, I decided not to bring it up.

Archived