The worst possible outcome

bigbird

Have to agree here 100 percent. If the guy doesn't come here for that kind of money good riddance. It will say volumes about what kind of person he is. $20 million a year for ten years is not good enough to come home tells me he doesn't care about coming "home".

If he turns that kind of offer down, he'll just end up another hired gun with Boston and his legacy will be nothing more than another high priced player bought by the Red $ox so they can compete with the Yankee$.

Really, the only thing this will show is how broke baseball is economically and how the Orioles will never be able to compete year in and year out in the AL East.

Baseball should restructure into economic Divisions. It really is embarrassing what they are doing to a great, great sport.

Or maybe he actually cares about winning and not the money......

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to agree here 100 percent. If the guy doesn't come here for that kind of money good riddance. It will say volumes about what kind of person he is. $20 million a year for ten years is not good enough to come home tells me he doesn't care about coming "home".

If he turns that kind of offer down, he'll just end up another hired gun with Boston and his legacy will be nothing more than another high priced player bought by the Red $ox so they can compete with the Yankee$.

Really, the only thing this will show is how broke baseball is economically and how the Orioles will never be able to compete year in and year out in the AL East.

Baseball should restructure into economic Divisions. It really is embarrassing what they are doing to a great, great sport.

I disagree. If he goes somewhere else for less money like the Red Sox or the Yankees, it says nothing bad about his overall character. If anything it says that he wants to win. And who can really fault that at all? Brian Roberts wants to win as well, what if the Orioles offer him an extension that is pretty damn good and he walks?

Listen, hometown loyalties only go so far. If the Orioles offer him a 10 year/$200 million contract and he turns it down for some 6-7 year contract with a winning team, can you really fault the guy? That means he values winning more than money. If he goes with the 10 year/$200 million contract, does that mean he values money more than winning?

The Orioles aren't going to make any noise in 2009 with or without Tex. I'd certainly love him on the team, but let's sit back and think about it instead of being knee jerk. This isn't directly responding to you Tony (although it is a bit), btw.

:agree:

Well stated.

Says more about baseball, as you point out. Yet, in the end, it does also say something about where the Orioles fit/compete in baseball as it is currently structured. It also says something about how players like Tex look at us w/r winning a ring.

I can't get mad at him if he goes to Boston. I can't get mad at him if he goes to NY.

And yes, that includes taking a lesser offer. If he does that, it means he wants to play for a winner.

And who can really honestly blame him?

Take off the orange glasses and flip the script. Say Tex had been born and raised in a Pittsburgh suburb and the Pirates were hot on his heels for him to come home. Then he goes and signs with the Sox or Yanks for a deal that might not pay him as much but will guarantee him playing meaningful games in September. Or say he goes to the Cubs, since they play in the Pirates division. That'd be more fitting.

Would you really be upset with him? Would you really say "What the hell was he thinking? How could he NOT go home to Pittsburgh when he had the chance to play for a winner?"

I'm not saying I'll won't be upset if he goes to the Sox or MFY's. I'm just saying from his viewpoint, I'll understand.

It'll mean that he values winning more than playing for a cellar dwelling team in his hometown.

Can you really fault him for that just because he didn't do what WE wanted him to do?

Sorry, but that's just a sad commentary. The idea is that he would be part of making a winner in Baltimore. I think your entire comments are just a sad sad state of what some fans of this team have come to.

You've decided that we will never be winners and that you can understand how players don't ever want to play here. Sad really.

Sorry, but I actually believe the Orioles can contend if they can get some premium players to go with the pitching they are developing.

Also, I'm a fan of the Orioles. Any player, especially one that's from the area that would take less money to play in Boston or New York would be instantly despised by me. For you to say you would "understand" is pretty pitiful in my estimation.

Guest Sailor Jerry

Why restructure into economic divisions? How about if teams stop making stupid decisions they can win.

I mean, it hasn't stopped teams like Tampa Bay (29th in payroll this past season) and Florida from reaching the World Series within the last five years, while teams like Minnesota, Oakland, and Milwaukee make the playoffs and contend for their division.

Slam. Dunk. Score.

I was thinking the same thing, Tony. However, out of fear of being labeled an alarmist, I decided not to bring it up.

No worries. It's just sad to see so many Orioles fan who say they actually don't think Teixeira can win here. they are defeatists, and it's starting to appear even some of our hardcore fans are breaking.

I guess I can understand people thinking this way, but it's just a very sad commentary that so many fans feel that way.

Sorry, but that's just a sad commentary. The idea is that he would be part of making a winner in Baltimore. I think your entire comments are just a sad sad state of what some fans of this team have come to.

You've decided that we will never be winners and that you can understand how players don't ever want to play here. Sad really.

Sorry, but I actually believe the Orioles can contend if they can get some premium players to go with the pitching they are developing.

Also, I'm a fan of the Orioles. Any player, especially one that's from the area that would take less money to play in Boston or New York would be instantly despised by me. For you to say you would "understand" is pretty pitiful in my estimation.

Well this isn't an entirely fair post. Anyone can see that the Red Sox are much closer to contending than the O's.

If it's true that Tex values winning over money and playing for his hometown team, you can't really fault him for going to Boston.

Saying that he can win in Baltimore in the future is pure specualtion -- I'm sure Tejada thought the same way. Boston has a proven brand of success over the last few years -- and it makes me sick, but it's the truth.

No worries. It's just sad to see so many Orioles fan who say they actually don't think Teixeira can win here. they are defeatists, and it's starting to appear even some of our hardcore fans are breaking.

I guess I can understand people thinking this way, but it's just a very sad commentary that so many fans feel that way.

Tex can win here, but not without additional improvements, changes, and some much enhanced player development from within. Problem as I see it, is that Tex may not see that he can win here.

So far we've seen the Yankees take on pitchers who both had hometown loyalties before signing with the Yankees. CC wanted to either go to the West Coast or stay in Milwaukee. He balked at the initial offering of $140MM that he was offered. Cashman sold him at the very last minute with an extra $20MM.

Burnett wanted to play in Baltimore and that was his plan. The Yankees went all in and suddenly the 4/60 deal turned into 5/80. And now Burnett is in New York.

It doesn't seem to me like hometown has much to do with baseball negotiations.

Why restructure into economic divisions? How about if teams stop making stupid decisions they can win.

I mean, it hasn't stopped teams like Tampa Bay (29th in payroll this past season) and Florida from reaching the World Series within the last five years, while teams like Minnesota, Oakland, and Milwaukee make the playoffs and contend for their division.

One reason would be that I might just help keep the ticket prices down to point where individuals and families could afford to go to games without taking out a home equity line.

I'd like to point something out.

If Tex does sign for the most money either way, as I believe he will, then let's be consistent.

If he signs with Boston, people here will say he only cares about the money and has no heart because he signed with a hometown rival.

If he signs with Baltimore, the national media will say he only cares about the money and has no heart because he signed with a perennial loser.

Perhaps we should set the moral judgments down for at least a moment here, because the reality, in my opinion, is that he'll sign for the most money regardless of who of it's offered from. I don't want to crucify the man for letting that guide his decision and then end up praising him because my team was the one offering the biggest contract.

Sorry, but Tampa caught lightening in the bottle where the Yankees got old and had to pay for bad contracts and the Red Sox had some injuries and weren't able to put it all together. The other teams don't play in the AL East and any team can get hot in the playoffs and beat any other team. The Yankees just went out and got the top two pitchers on the market, they are back. the Red Sox will probably sign Teixeira. We will probably end up resigning Kevin Millar.

I'll bet the Rays come back to earth in a hurry in 2009 and when the Red Sox and Yankees are signing Kazmir, Price, and Longoria when they become free agents, we'll see how Tampa recovers.

I'll bet the Rays come back to earth in a hurry in 2009 and when the Red Sox and Yankees are signing Kazmir, Price, and Longoria when they become free agents, we'll see how Tampa recovers.

Absolutely agreed. I think the Rays will be a 3rd place team this year.

Archived