The worst possible outcome

bigbird

I would think it'd be ours, simply because there's a chance, albeit slim, that Tex could get hurt over the course of the 6/150 contract. 10/200 is a much safer bet, IMO.

You don't think Tex has a very good chance to get a 4/50 or+ contract in 6 years? He's already set if he gets $150M. I ask this b/c I honestly think this is what it will come down to.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When did Tex ever say that he wants to play the Orioles back on his map? That he wants to make them relevant again?

I think he's a hometown boy who loved the Orioles growing up. Money is certainly going to be an issue, but we're talking about winning teams with a lot of money, versus a losing team with not so much. If the Orioles throw 9-$180 at Tex, and the Red Sox throw 6-$150 and he takes it, where is Tex wrong?

I think in that situation he will most certainly sign with the O's. If not for the other factors already mentioned just the fact that Boras is his agent and the players union would probably not appreciate him signing for $30MM less...

It means he played the "home" card to a tee. Get the Nationals to offer a 8/170 deal and then get the Orioles to offer a 9/180 deal only to sign with Boston for 8/175. This is all I needed to happen. If the Orioles made some low ball offer the fan base would be upset that PGA let the hometown boy get away. But if we go out and offer a deal that is as good or better than everyone else, it is Teixeira who walks away from us. I would be ok with that but I would lose all respect for Teixeira the man for using us to get a bigger deal from the Red Sox.

There have been multiple reports citing that Boras is trying to get the Red Sox to bid against themselves. That is where the Orioles and Nationals offers come into play. I have said this from the start, if Teixeira really wanted to be an Oriole then he would have signed by now. I do not see a team beating a 9/180 offer by one year and $45 Million. Action speak louder than words and here was Teixeira list of priorities as defined by Boras.

1.) Proximity to his home.

2.) Winning organization.

3.) Money (Which we assume is #1 in reality).

Here is my beef. If #3 is consistant across all of the teams than that goes out the window. You can argue that Boston is close to home too, but Baltimore is 25 minutes away. Boras knew what he was doing when he made those comments.

Another thing that bothers me is the whole Red Sox drafting Teixeira fiasco. They offered a $1.5 Million bonus to a high school kid. They put out the word that he was unsignable (Teams do this all of the time) and then he falls in the draft until the 9th round where is selected by who else? The Boston Red Sox. They figured it was a way to gain leverage with Teixeira. Teixeira had an option to go to school and wait for his money. He did and got a $9.8 Million signing bonus by the Rangers.

Sometimes things workout, sometimes they do not. Teixeira could have blew his knee and got nothing but a free education. According to Teixeira this expereince was as eye opener for how the game of baseball operates. Money first, me first. That is a real shame as Teixeira will always be called by his last name here instead of being called by his first name like Cal, Brooks, or Eddie. They were real good player who thought it was a honor to wear an Orioles uniform. I guess wearing the jersey of the team you grew up idolizing is not as important as wearing the jersey of the team that offered you the best chance to make things about you.

If money is similar and winning is important, then Tex has every right (and I will *NOT* hate on him for doing so) to go to the team that will satisfy his lust for winning. I absolutely would love to have him here, but for some people (and let's not forget Tex is 28, and will be 29 at the beginning of this season), they want to start winning. Brian Roberts does. Will you blame him for going to a winning team and not resigning with the Orioles?

I first of all want to say that I think anyone who thinks Tex will go somewhere for less money is being naive about the situation and haven't paid attention to how Boras works.

Now, that being said, if Tex becomes the first Boras client to do this and we have put the most on the table and he goes to Boston anyway, then I will agree with Tony that Tex wasn't really genuine about coming here.

Yes, I get the idea that we have been pathetic and that winning is always what you want but if Tex truly wants to be here, then he should take it upon himself to say, I am going to put this team back on the map. This is my favorite team and it is my hometown team...i want to make them relevant again.

If he isn't willing to do that, then we are probably better off if he goes somewhere else anyway.

Couldn't agree more.

When did Tex ever say that he wants to play the Orioles back on his map? That he wants to make them relevant again?

He never said that. SG is saying that if Tex wants to be here, thats what he should be saying.

I think in that situation he will most certainly sign with the O's. If not for the other factors already mentioned just the fact that Boras is his agent and the players union would probably not appreciate him signing for $30MM less...

But that contract is $5M more per year. Don't you think the MLBPA would rather see him sign for $25M per than $20M per?

If money is similar and winning is important, then Tex has every right (and I will *NOT* hate on him for doing so) to go to the team that will satisfy his lust for winning. I absolutely would love to have him here, but for some people (and let's not forget Tex is 28, and will be 29 at the beginning of this season), they want to start winning. Brian Roberts does. Will you blame him for going to a winning team and not resigning with the Orioles?

I am not cursing him for going to a winning team, but he could have gone to Boston without bringing the Orioles and Nationals in the picture as a means to up his price tag. It is a great move by Boras to get his client more money, but Boras works for Teixeira and to be honest I expected more out of him.

I understand that. Otherwise, I have no problem with Boras doing what he does best: getting money out of ball clubs. If Tex wants to be here and he can get more money by bidding against the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and Nationals, then go for it. Respect to him. If he doesn't want to be here because of our losing reputation or some other things, then I still can't fault him for testing the waters and getting more money.

The worst possible outcome? It's not Mark Teixeira signing with the Red Sox or Yankees.

The worst possible outcome is that Teixeira signs with the Orioles for a long term, expensive deal and the Orioles don't contend, attendance and revenues don't go up, and Teixeira's performance declines significantly a few years into his contract.

In this scenario, the Orioles are stuck with a long term, albatross contract they can't really afford. There would be only a few teams even willing discuss a trade for Teixeira. The front office is hamstrung and is forced to pick up a large amount of his contract in a trade, like with ARod. We can't extend players like Markakis and Weiters because of the money wasted on Teixeira.

If this scenario plays out, the Orioles will be set back a lot longer than not signing Teixeira at all. This is not a scenario that should be overlooked, by the Orioles' fans or the Orioles' front office.

I understand that. Otherwise, I have no problem with Boras doing what he does best: getting money out of ball clubs. If Tex wants to be here and he can get more money by bidding against the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and Nationals, then go for it. Respect to him. If he doesn't want to be here because of our losing reputation or some other things, then I still can't fault him for testing the waters and getting more money.

If he knows he doesn't want to be here on in Washington he should let those teams know so they can move on to fill their gaps with players who may want to take our money. It is getting to the point where if the O's signed Dunn I wouldn't be upset... at all. Much better value for 35-40% of the price.

The worst possible outcome? It's not Mark Teixeira signing with the Red Sox or Yankees.

The worst possible outcome is that Teixeira signs with the Orioles for a long term, expensive deal and the Orioles don't contend, attendance and revenues don't go up, and Teixeira's performance declines significantly a few years into his contract.

In this scenario, the Orioles are stuck with a long term, albatross contract they can't really afford. There would be only a few teams even willing discuss a trade for Teixeira. The front office is hamstrung and is forced to pick up a large amount of his contract in a trade, like with ARod. We can't extend players like Markakis and Weiters because of the money wasted on Teixeira.

If this scenario plays out, the Orioles will be set back a lot longer than not signing Teixeira at all. This is not a scenario that should be overlooked, by the Orioles' fans or the Orioles' front office.

Depends what their payroll is going to be. If the Orioles added $60 Million of payroll in 2009 (Teixeira, Sheets, Uehera, Penny) wouldn't you come out to see them based on good faith?

If he knows he doesn't want to be here on in Washington he should let those teams know so they can move on to fill their gaps with players who may want to take our money. It is getting to the point where if the O's signed Dunn I wouldn't be upset... at all. Much better value for 35-40% of the price.

I'd argue that if those teams (including the Orioles) don't have contingency plans or aren't already doing work to fix their already gaping holes, then they're terribly run teams. You can put all your eggs in one basket and if that falls apart, go...aww crap. I don't think MacPhail is doing that, as our problems aren't entirely (yet) hitting. Our biggest (and have been for some time) problems have been pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching. We only have 1 guy in our rotation worth a damn right now and that's Guthrie. We can sign Tex to a $50 million a year contract for 500 years, and it wouldn't matter unless he hits 4 grand slams a day with our current rotation.

Have to agree here 100 percent. If the guy doesn't come here for that kind of money good riddance. It will say volumes about what kind of person he is. $20 million a year for ten years is not good enough to come home tells me he doesn't care about coming "home".

If he turns that kind of offer down, he'll just end up another hired gun with Boston and his legacy will be nothing more than another high priced player bought by the Red $ox so they can compete with the Yankee$.

Really, the only thing this will show is how broke baseball is economically and how the Orioles will never be able to compete year in and year out in the AL East.

Baseball should restructure into economic Divisions. It really is embarrassing what they are doing to a great, great sport.

This is as irresponsible as Firestone's Saturday night breathlessness. And one more example of the sort of fanatacism that will have no affect on reasonable front office minds. When did Teixeira flat out say he wants to play in Baltimore? If he chooses Boston or NY why should he be denigrated for wanting to win? Absurd. Hector Angelos for hoarding money or criticize counterintuitive organization-building (in AM I do trust) but be fair to free agents who want to win, $$$ or no $$$.

Lemon out.

I'd argue that if those teams (including the Orioles) don't have contingency plans or aren't already doing work to fix their already gaping holes, then they're terribly run teams. You can put all your eggs in one basket and if that falls apart, go...aww crap. I don't think MacPhail is doing that, as our problems aren't entirely (yet) hitting. Our biggest (and have been for some time) problems have been pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching. We only have 1 guy in our rotation worth a damn right now and that's Guthrie. We can sign Tex to a $50 million a year contract for 500 years, and it wouldn't matter unless he hits 4 grand slams a day with our current rotation.

The flip side is that it gets leaked that we are talking to Dunn and Teixeira see's the Orioles trying to make just another business transaction. He decides to take the Red Sox offer as the Orioles were not serious enough about him to wait for his decision. We all keep talking about "current" rotation. The Orioles are not going to be contenders in 2009, talk to me about the 2011 rotation. Let's see how Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Olson, Liz, Bergenson, Hernandez, Penn, and Patton turn out. There is 3 solid starters in there I promise you. I am ok giving Ben Sheet a 3/45 deal and I am ok giving Uehera a 3/18 deal. Outside of that I really do not want any of the remaining free agent pitchers. Not for the asking price of guys like Lowe.

Archived