The Orioles - nine games at a time

mobico

I am not trying to upstage Frobby here. I just thought that another way to view the team in snapshots would be nine games at a time. This has the advantages of neatly fitting into 162 games - exactly 18 times. I think that it will be interesting to see how this compares and contrasts to Frobby's ten games at a time. I don't know how to post a chart, but here goes for a first attempt (maybe someone can help with the formatting?):

GAMES | RECORD | RS | RA | TOTAL RECORD           

1-9     |    3-6 (.333)  |    21  |   30   |     3-6 (.333)    

COMMENT

The widely panned pitching staff lost staff ace John Means for at least a big chunk of the year, and yet still held opponents to 3.33 runs a game. The offense, however, managed a meager 2.33. This disappointing start to the season ended on a high note as the Birds took 2 of 3 from the Yankees.

• Upvote 1

Interesting.  Back in the late 60’s/70’s I used to divide the season into 18 game segments.   The first 18 games were pretty random; after that, teams tended to fall into their patterns.  If you want to look at 9 instead of 10,  I can get behind it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.  Back in the late 60’s/70’s I used to divide the season into 18 game segments.   The first 18 games were pretty random; after that, teams tended to fall into their patterns.  If you want to look at 9 instead of 10,  I can get behind it.  

This is such a wonderful response to the OP.  Gracious and supportive, traits not much exhibited on the internet while still being able to convey that you’ve been there and done that.  Bravo!

”Back in the late 60’s/70’s”,  a bit of a random contextual description that caused me to screech the brakes and think……..

Young Frobby going down to the 5 & 10 to buy a black and white composition book, not for schoolwork but for what would become a lifelong passion, baseball and its statistics.  “Back in the late 60’s/70’s”, before OH, before internet, when “color” tv was still a thing not everyone had!  When you read John Steadman, Dick Heller and Shirley Povich for baseball coverage.   When “F. Robby” was actually playing!  A lot of folks tell stories of the transistor radio under the blankets listening to the game.  Fewer mention, or admit to, countless hours of pouring over box scores in the paper and putting pencil to paper, developing keen printing skills, making lists, proposing lineups, devising trades.  My brain is flooding with such memories and I could go on but it’s the internet in 2022 and long form writing is not really a thing.  Anyway great post.

• Upvote 2

My wife of 60 years this year still teases me about the fact that all the letters I wrote her during our summer break years of college referenced what the Orioles were doing. She knew what she was getting into!  Chuck Thompson was, Uncle Chuck. I'd listen to every game I could and score most. The best times were Saturdays or Sunday's - fishing or chicken necking/catching crabs and listening to games. 66 was magical. 67, not so much. But then, The Years of Earl began! Thanks for the memories!

Frobby - I also thank you for your kind and corteous response. Thanks for the trips down memory lane!

I used to enjoy figuring theoretical batting averages in my head, if only x player would get y hits over the next z number of at-bats. Or, what rate he would need to hit homers at to reach x number for the year.

• 3 weeks later...

Well if you are going to start a thread like this, you have to keep it up to date!

3-6

3-6

4-5

27 games is exactly 1/6 of the season.   So, 10-17 projects to 60-102.    We won the second game of the DH so slightly ahead of that pace now. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...