Potential 1st over pick info: Druw Jones - HS

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hope it's a Vlad Sr/Vlad Jr situation where the father was plenty good but the son turns out better.  Or Griffey Sr./Jr. type deal.

I suppose if we take him with the #1 pick, he'll be ready for Baltimore by his age 30 season.  Looking forward to it!

Didn’t we draft Tim Raines Jr. and Pete Rose Jr.?  😛

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Elias has proved he’s a very good draft strategist.  Our farm system is ranked no. 1 by several sources, without the benefit of hardly any international players at the higher levels because of the situation Elias inherited there.  Our ranking is not an accident.   It’s the result of excellent work by Elias and his staff.

Elias proved in 2019 that he’ll take the consensus no. 1 guy if he agrees that’s the best guy.   So it’s ridiculous to speculate that he won’t take Jones if he thinks he’s the clear BPA.   I’m not saying that’s who he’ll take, but for you to say he won’t take Jones is unjustified.  

Maybe eventually we will see what he can do when he isn't picking in the top five.

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it?  He had extra pool available.

Not the same as  having your first pick at 25.

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it?  He had extra pool available.

Not the same as  having your first pick at 25.

I guess all of the players I mentioned must have been huge overslot, right?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's Druw Jones been doing so far that's separating him from the rest of the pack?

I really don’t know how a non-scout could answer that question.   My sense is that he has less swing and miss than Elijah Green and is the more instinctive outfielder.   And, he’s bigger and plays a more important defensive position than Termarr Johnson.  Johnson also is hurt because he plays against weaker competition so nobody is quite sure how he’d fare against a steady diet of elite pitching.   

Anyway, all that is what I’ve heard from various pundits.   Whether there are other views out there, I’m not sure. 

• Upvote 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• DocJJ, who tells all his patients.  “Let me give you the bad news first, please”! or ”It doesn’t look too good”.
    • He is a spry 75!   Not even old enough yet to run for President in the US. 
    • We really can’t afford to “wait a bit”. Those things (if they can even be done) need to happen now. For every day that passes, that’s one step closer for them to FA. And it decreases their interest in an extension.
    • Almost Jackson Holliday levels of futility 🤦‍♂️ What is with this organization and it's horrible drafting?!?   *sarcasm off
    • First off, nobody's talking about cutting Hays. The worst that'll happen is he gets sent down to AAA to work on things.  Second, guys in slumps do actually get DFA'd all the time if the slump lasts long enough.  The question is at what point does a slump become the new normal? Sucking eggs for 10 or 20 games is a slump. Hitting .209 / .270 / .332 over 95 games and 316 ABs wouldn't normally be considered a slump. Hays has been worse than Mateo over that period, and people here were rending garments over Jorge's pathetic offense last year. Since the third week of June last year Austin Hays has been worse offensively than Joey Rickard, Caleb Joseph, and even Austin Wynns were when they played for us. How long did their slumps last? 
    • Moises Chace, RHP, Orioles In Baltimore’s first international signing class under general manager Mike Elias and vice president of international scouting Koby Perez, the Orioles signed a group of intriguing pitchers. One of them was Chace, a 6-foot righthander from Venezuela who had reached 93 mph, paired it with a high-spin curveball and showed good pitchability for his age. Now a 20-year-old in High-A Aberdeen, Chace’s stuff has ticked up and he’s off to an excellent start with eight scoreless innings and a 15-2 K-BB mark.  He can run his fastball up to 96 mph with good carry, getting a lot of swing-and-miss on that pitch this season, along with a high-spin slider at 2,700-2,900 rpm. His most effective pitch has been a lively, tailing changeup with more than 10 mph of separation off his fastball that has piled up whiffs. In one at-bat against Nationals lefthanded-hitting outfielder Jared McKenzie, Chace fell behind 1-0 with a fastball, then threw three straight changeups with empty swings on each one. Chace struggled with his control last year—he walked 53 in 68 innings—but there’s a starter pitch mix here if he can continue throwing strikes the way he has in his first two starts.
    • 1.  I don't. 2.  We are talking about a team playing out the string.  Think of some of the reclamation projects we've seen I Baltimore. 3. No idea, I was thinking more of a guarantee he'd not be down long enough.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now