Ramon Urias 2022

Pushmonkey

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from the small sample of hitting a couple balls well right away in his return, I'm a little encouraged by the signal of letting him come right back with no minor league rehab.

I'm hopeful there can still be a "good part" of his season.     At least for now he's part of the Best Nine I hope we get to see in the stretch run, for me even more so than Vavra until Vavra shows he can control the zone and hit like 2021 Urias.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Apart from the small sample of hitting a couple balls well right away in his return, I'm a little encouraged by the signal of letting him come right back with no minor league rehab.

I'm hopeful there can still be a "good part" of his season.     At least for now he's part of the Best Nine I hope we get to see in the stretch run, for me even more so than Vavra until Vavra shows he can control the zone and hit like 2021 Urias.

Good take. He should be our everyday 3B until Gunnar and Westburg arrive. 

Urias has gotten on base in every game since his return from injury. The O's have won each of those games.

He has been worth 3.5 WAR over his first 148 games as an Oriole.

Pencil this man in at 2B for the next few years. Gimme an infield of: Mountcastle, Urias, Henderson, and Westburg.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Urias has gotten on base in every game since his return from injury. The O's have won each of those games.

He has been worth 3.5 WAR over his first 148 games as an Oriole.

Pencil this man in at 2B for the next few years. Gimme an infield of: Mountcastle, Urias, Henderson, and Westburg.

Urias is under appreciated by some because he did not come from our system and was a waiver claim from St Louis. 

He's been pretty unlucky this season so his numbers don't look great overall, but his expected numbers are all above major league average.

urias.thumb.png.d0dc93e882c86e10842374507134e5d0.png

Defensively he's been just fine at 3B putting up a 2 OOA this season in just 130 attempts and that position appears to be the one he's best at.

While he could end up being traded at some point, right now I'm fine with him manning the hot corner on most nights with Arauz filling on on occasion. 

For the life of me though, I don't understand Nevin's role on this team with both Urias and Arauz on the team. 

Either way, if Henderson can handle SS, and right now I think he can but he'd be a downgrade from Mateo defensively, Westburg can slide over to 2B. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Ramon Urias 2022

More likely to go in a trade: Urias or Vavra? I could see either - in Vavra's case, a 2B-only guy with not a lot of power and a long injury history does not seem like a great fit. However, he's got great numbers this year and still holds some decent prospect clout. I could see him getting flipped in a "buy" package for SP. 

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

More likely to go in a trade: Urias or Vavra? I could see either - in Vavra's case, a 2B-only guy with not a lot of power and a long injury history does not seem like a great fit. However, he's got great numbers this year and still holds some decent prospect clout. I could see him getting flipped in a "buy" package for SP. 

Vavra is probably a better fit for trade because he may have more value. His problem is that he's a slightly below average defender at 2B and doesn't have enough experience in CF. I think the bat is going to play but he's got quite the injury history as well so that doesn't help him.

Urias doesn't have a ton of trade value and as a right-handed hitter, his power numbers are going to be less in the new Camden Yards. Saying that, a team could see his EVs and Hard hit% and take a chance. 

I don't think either headline a big trade, but could be part of a package that brings back a starter.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Vavra is probably a better fit for trade because he may have more value. His problem is that he's a slightly below average defender at 2B and doesn't have enough experience in CF. I think the bat is going to play but he's got quite the injury history as well so that doesn't help him.

Urias doesn't have a ton of trade value and as a right-handed hitter, his power numbers are going to be less in the new Camden Yards. Saying that, a team could see his EVs and Hard hit% and take a chance. 

I don't think either headline a big trade, but could be part of a package that brings back a starter.

Urias would be like the third piece in a trade.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Urias is under appreciated by some because he did not come from our system and was a waiver claim from St Louis. 

He's been pretty unlucky this season so his numbers don't look great overall, but his expected numbers are all above major league average.

urias.thumb.png.d0dc93e882c86e10842374507134e5d0.png

Defensively he's been just fine at 3B putting up a 2 OOA this season in just 130 attempts and that position appears to be the one he's best at.

While he could end up being traded at some point, right now I'm fine with him manning the hot corner on most nights with Arauz filling on on occasion. 

I’m glad to see you say this.  Urias is arguably the most underrated player on the team.  His offense has been a bit disappointing this year, but as you pointed out, he’s been very unlucky.  And in 148 major league games he’s been worth 3.5 rWAR.  fWAR doesn’t like him nearly as much (1.6), but either way he’s a pretty solid performer.   And his defense at 3B has been better than I’d expected.   

I think Urias will platoon with Vavra next year at 2B. I see a really strong bench that will feature speed, defense, and RH platoon compliments. Mateo, Urias/Vavra, McKenna, and backup C(Nottingham?). 

That’s a strong bench to start out the season with. We can keep guys fresh with options that won’t kill us defensively. If around trade deadline time next year we need so more punch, we’ll we can go get that. 

Bottomline… Urias, Mateo, and McKenna, are all apart of our winning plans for next year. 

• Upvote 1

Huge ballgame for him last night. Big HR plus two more hits and several big plays defensively. Looks more and more like his rough April was an aberration. Currently sitting at 98 OPS+ and 1.7 rWAR/1.0 fWAR. Makes it a bit harder to make the case for Vavra/Westburg this year. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't see the need for Nevin on the team now if Urias is going to play 3B. Nevin seems like a decent guy, but he's the very definition of an AAAA player. 

Nottingham makes more sense on the 26 man roster than Nevin at this point. Nottingham can PH and be a 3rd C. It allows us the DH AR and be able to PH for Chirnos if needed. 

Two dingers for Ramon last night.  He’s up to 106 OPS+, 2.1 rWAR on the season and 4.1 rWAR in his 154-game career.  All that, and he’s been somewhat unlucky too (.315 wOBA, .345 xwOBA).

His offense doesn’t surprise me to be honest - he was good last year (112 OPS+).   But I’ve been very surprised how good he’s been at 3B.   He barely played it before this year, but he’s very comfortable there and has made numerous outstanding plays.   

• Upvote 1