Can anyone hit the #$%&! dang ball.....?

DocJJ

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s too early to tell on the walks, I agree. 

But on the flip side, I don’t think you could point to any 10 game stretch over the past 4 years where they lead the league in walks. So that’s a positive. 

Ain’t that right @wildcard?

That would be a tough fact to dig out.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That would be a tough fact to dig out.  

I did look through the 2018-21 game logs to see if I saw any ten game stretches with as many walks as this last stretch.  The answer is no.  The highest I saw was 41.   

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, nate22 said:

What's particularly embarrassing is the A's have 7 regulars on the Covid IL. 

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2022/4/18/23031182/oakland-as-roster-covid-injured-list-nick-allen-debut

The Norfolk Tides might have the best batting lineup in the organization right now and that’s without Rutschman playing. 

At the very least they can’t be that much worse than the O’s current lineup. 

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Somebody needs to go.  People I thought would hit are struggling and the O's have about 4 guys who can't hit ML pitching.  Maybe bring up Vavra, Jones or Stowers.  The O's need someone who can hit.

Nevin is also on fire right now.  Maybe play the hot hand?  Pretty sure he's on the 40 man at the moment so no roster gymnastics required.  McKenna can be moved back down pretty easily.

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

In 8 of 11 games, the O's scored 2 runs or less.  It's hard to win many games that way. 

Leave it to the O's to find a way to lose games over a stretch of time when the team is pitching to a sub-three ERA.

Although I will say that weak hitting is easier to fix than weak pitching...  but I don't expect the entire season to look like this.  I don't think any of us do.

It's pretty frustrating, because if you look at the advanced batting stats the Orioles are actually top 1/3 in exit velocity, barrel %, and hard hit %. They're just hitting into some really bad luck. At some point that has to change, one hopes. 

Aside from the flacid bats at the plate, we are not doing anything to try to manufacture a run.  We have had situations with Mullins or Mateo at first and have not attempted a steal of second - both are very capable of doing this.  No hit and runs,  no bunt attempts with guys on base.  Nothing at all to put pressure on the defense and speed the game up.  It is very bizarre.  How can the entire team be in an 11- game slump and still not try to manufacture a run.  We need to put the pitcher/ defense in its collective heels.  They are all way too comfortable. 

42 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Aside from the flacid bats at the plate, we are not doing anything to try to manufacture a run.  We have had situations with Mullins or Mateo at first and have not attempted a steal of second - both are very capable of doing this.  No hit and runs,  no bunt attempts with guys on base.  Nothing at all to put pressure on the defense and speed the game up.  It is very bizarre.  How can the entire team be in an 11- game slump and still not try to manufacture a run.  We need to put the pitcher/ defense in its collective heels.  They are all way too comfortable. 

The O's have been thrown out on a lot of close plays at the plate.  I know they had 2 in one game.  Most of those outs required a perfect throw and a perfect throw happened every time.