Why does MLB want it to be NY/Bos against everyone else?

DocJJ

(Moderators- feel free to move to MLB forum if more appropriate)

The Yankees sign two pitchers for a quarter of a BILLION, (yes, Billion) dollars. Now the Sux might ink Texeira for megabucks.

Is it in the financial interests of baseball somehow to make it the Yankees/Red Sox versus everyone else? Does that somehow create revenue for Major League Baseball?

Or would MLB rather have a salary cap like all other major sports, but the MLB Player's Union is simply too powerful and strong?

It's just not that interesting to me to watch the Orioles vs the Major League All-Stars. I now go to Frederick Keys games. The only way Baseball will ever level the playing field is if people stop going to games and MLB loses money.... I won't hold my breath...

The other day I was talking to a few buddies who happen to be Sox/Yankee fans, since I live in CT. I was saying how its outrageous how both of the teams can pretty much obtain any FA they want since all they have to do is put in the top bid and no other team, for the most part, can match that bid.

Of course they both responded with well its not the team's fault that the owners spend the money they bring in and bring in the top FA. I tried telling them that it did not matter if another team wanted a FA or not because once those 2 teams are involved they can outbid all the other teams. Other teams do not have the ability to play those type of games and risking that much money but since the Yanks and Sox have the fan base and market they can play by their own rules.

Eventually this sort of practice is going to lead to a loss of fan base in the rural America areas. Its starting to get to a point where there should be a salary cap (ceiling and floor) to create a more competitive playing field.

This was a post I made in one of the Teixeira threads:

But that is the thing. It's not in baseball's best interest to institute a cap. Baseball is most popular and draws its biggest television ratings when the large market/large payroll teams are good. A salary cap would make it tougher for those large market teams (NYY, NYM, Bos, LA, Chi) to be successful year in and year out. What you end up with is more and more fans of the big market teams (everyone likes to root for a winner) and the small and mid-market teams are reduced to irrelevance unless they build the right way like Tampa did and jump up and surprise people.

Because they're in the largest media markets (along with Chicago and LA), and have the widest base of fans which means more money for them to draw from for advertisers and merchandise. Simple as that. MLB is a business. They want to make the most money. They don't care about competition.

Because they're in the largest media markets (along with Chicago and LA), and have the widest base of fans which means more money for them to draw from for advertisers and merchandise. Simple as that. MLB is a business. They want to make the most money. They don't care about competition.

Sadly, neither do a lot of fans. They're more interested in glitz and glamor and stars than an honest, hard-fought, well played, competitive game. Top level pro sports these days are designed for the highlight reel because most people don't take the time to appreciate the nuances of the game. I'm pretty much turned off the "elite" levels of just about any sport these days. It's more fun watching the kids play while they're still learning the game and have coaches making them work on their fundamentals.

Sadly, neither do a lot of fans. They're more interested in glitz and glamor and stars than an honest, hard-fought, well played, competitive game. Top level pro sports these days are designed for the highlight reel because most people don't take the time to appreciate the nuances of the game. I'm pretty much turned off the "elite" levels of just about any sport these days. It's more fun watching the kids play while they're still learning the game and have coaches making them work on their fundamentals.

What are you trying to say? You'd rather have Kevin Millar than Mark Teixera because he's more "gritty" and has to work harder because he's less athletic?

The Yankees truly exemplifies the worse in America. Throw money at a problem and don't worry about long term consequences. They will eventually hit a wall and suffer...eventually, the question is of course how many teams colapse or contract before a commissioner has the nerve to work on the problem, be it a salary cap or something else.

if the Yanks are successful in signing Tex and/or Manny, I believe the only solution is to ignore their appearance in all away games. It is really becoming a Washington Generals vs Harlem Globetrotters joke. Don't watch the Fox or ESPN game of the week when it features the Yanks.

Before anyone reminds me about the yanks not reaching the playoffs last year..well the first time in 13 years...and this is how they react..and remind me that the Rays won the division..the Rays will have to prove it more than one season (and not be the Rockies).

Oh, I have heard that they are having some trouble selling the $2500/game tickets in this economy.

The Yankees truly exemplifies the worse in America. Throw money at a problem and don't worry about long term consequences. They will eventually hit a wall and suffer...eventually, the question is of course how many teams colapse or contract before a commissioner has the nerve to work on the problem, be it a salary cap or something else.

if the Yanks are successful in signing Tex and/or Manny, I believe the only solution is to ignore their appearance in all away games. It is really becoming a Washington Generals vs Harlem Globetrotters joke. Don't watch the Fox or ESPN game of the week when it features the Yanks.

Before anyone reminds me about the yanks not reaching the playoffs last year..well the first time in 13 years...and this is how they react..and remind me that the Rays won the division..the Rays will have to prove it more than one season (and not be the Rockies).

Oh, I have heard that they are having some trouble selling the $2500/game tickets in this economy.

I strongly believe that with the way the economy is going, it won't be long before the Yankees start cracking under the pressure of that hefty payroll of theirs. BTW, rep to you.

Well I do not think a cap is the answer at this time. I think before you have a cap that does anything I think you have to develop a comprehensive revenue sharing plan. Some how baseball allowed the incredible variance in revenue to continue to grow to the point that it is bad for competetion in baseball.

The players have only had the upper hand for 30 years now. The previous 80 or so, the owners treated them like serfs.

There's an extremely fine line between MLB owner and Third World Dictator. It sometimes gets crossed, and the fans are the ones who usually suffer.

All the other major sports have a salary cap. IMO, there is no valid argument for not having a salary cap, thus creating a competitive balance. The big money teams can just run wild.

Much like College Football getting a playoff, I think eventually people will force the issue and MLB will have a cap.

Real revenue sharing is the solution.

I believe that many teams are happy when the Red Sox / Yankees break the bank for free agents. It means a bigger luxury tax payment to be doled out.

Real revenue sharing would fix the games ills and no cap would be necessary.

I agree with this to a point.

I see two solutions to this problem:

1. Keep the luxury tax in the division. They are paying it anyway and it would make it much easier to compete with the capital center of MLB. It's only fair that if we are going to be forced to remain in their division than we should receive a larger portion of the tax.

2. Expand the playoffs. What's the harm? Shorten the season and add a couple of playoff spots.

You're not going to be able to institute a cap now without a complete overhaul of the player's union.

I agree with this to a point.

I see two solutions to this problem:

1. Keep the luxury tax in the division. They are paying it anyway and it would make it much easier to compete with the capital center of MLB. It's only fair that if we are going to be forced to remain in their division than we should receive a larger portion of the tax.

2. Expand the playoffs. What's the harm? Shorten the season and add a couple of playoff spots.

You're not going to be able to institute a cap now without a complete overhaul of the player's union.

You'll never get the buy in from the majority of teams to keep luxury taxes in division. You'd also have to overhaul the playoff structure as you couldn't have teams like BAL/TAM/TOR being subsidized while teams like KC/DET/MINN are not and all be competeting for a WC slot.

I have no problem with teams like the sox/yanks spending more than everyone else as long as it's 10, 20 or 30% more and not 150-300% more than other teams. I don't like the cap system in the NBA. Football is ok although that is in a league that has real revenue sharing which I think is more responsible for every team having a shot than the cap is.

Archived