Cesar Prieto 2022

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just because Gunnar is 20 years old doesn’t mean he can’t be better than the rest of the league and be promoted.  The age biases on stuff like this make no sense to me. 

Very small sample but others have pointed out he does have a major developmental issue which is his splits vs LHP. I would not be opposed to moving him up but I don't think it is simply age bias.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would moving Gunnar to AAA right now be rushing him?  Seems to me that he is doing very well against AA competition and challenging him in AAA wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

He's had 114 at bats at Double A. 

I have no problem moving him up in a few weeks if his hot streak continues, but I'd like to see a larger sample size.  There is no reason to rush him at this point.  He's not going to see Baltimore in 2022 regardless of how he performs. 

Prieto meanwhile is at an age and an experience level where a promotion or even double-promotion is warranted. 

22 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He's had 114 at bats at Double A. 

I have no problem moving him up in a few weeks if his hot streak continues, but I'd like to see a larger sample size.  There is no reason to rush him at this point.  He's not going to see Baltimore in 2022 regardless of how he performs. 

Prieto meanwhile is at an age and an experience level where a promotion or even double-promotion is warranted. 

So 114 at bats isn’t enough but 150 at bats would be?

Look, I get the point but there is no magic formula of age or number of at bats or anything like that in which is should be determined when a player moves up.  There are guys who are stars in the majors at age 20. I don’t think Gunnar sees Baltimore in 2022 either but that doesn’t mean that’s the right move.

Over his last ten games, which includes a 12 day IL break for a hamstring injury, Prieto is slashing .432/.523/.946/1.469 with 5 HRs in 5 BBs, 4 K's over his last 44 PAs.

I'd say he's due a promotion. Honestly, I'd be ok with moving Ortiz back down to A-ball unil he can get things going. Either way, at his age, it's time for AA.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I kind of like the idea of skipping him to AAA.   

I agree, unfortunately it will never happen.  Elias is rigid in his formula of players needing a certain number of at bats or innings pitched at each level before they can be promoted.  The rigidness is annoying.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So 114 at bats isn’t enough but 150 at bats would be?

Look, I get the point but there is no magic formula of age or number of at bats or anything like that in which is should be determined when a player moves up.  There are guys who are stars in the majors at age 20. I don’t think Gunnar sees Baltimore in 2022 either but that doesn’t mean that’s the right move.

I don't have a set number of at bats in mind.  But it's probably not 114.  

Is there a number that is too small for you?  Very few high school position prospects are making their MLB debut at age 20.  And the ones who are probably aren't coming off a year where they were struggling for long periods of time in A ball. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you were one of the posters who was calling for Westburg's promotion to Triple A very early in the season?  Look where he's at now.  There is no magical formula but there is such thing as too small a sample size. 

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't have a set number of at bats in mind.  But it's probably not 114.  

Is there a number that is too small for you?  Very few high school position prospects are making their MLB debut at age 20.  And the ones who are probably aren't coming off a year where they were struggling for long periods of time in A ball. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you were one of the posters who was calling for Westburg's promotion to Triple A very early in the season?  Look where he's at now.  There is no magical formula but there is such thing as too small a sample size. 

I would still be fine if they promoted Westburg. Not saying they should but if they announced it today, I wouldn’t be upset about it.  I think people are extremely overboard with how they feel these guys should be handled.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would still be fine if they promoted Westburg. Not saying they should but if they announced it today, I wouldn’t be upset about it.  I think people are extremely overboard with how they feel these guys should be handled.

I'm not sure what your standard is exactly.  It seems like if prospect A has 50 good at bats, he should be promoted a level.  Regardless of anything else. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm not sure what your standard is exactly.  It seems like if prospect A has 50 good at bats, he should be promoted a level.  Regardless of anything else. 

Not really.  It depends on a lot of things but amount of at bats and age aren’t really it.  How do they look?  Do they belong?  Are they overmatched? Are they doing everything well?  

I don’t care if Henderson is still in AA but it’s also justified that he gets moved up.  Remember, this is a kid who turned heads with his maturity in ST LAST YEAR.  

I don’t look at him and say, well he’s 20 years old so he must have more time in AA.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not really.  It depends on a lot of things but amount of at bats and age aren’t really it.  How do they look?  Do they belong?  Are they overmatched? Are they doing everything well?  

I don’t care if Henderson is still in AA but it’s also justified that he gets moved up.  Remember, this is a kid who turned heads with his maturity in ST LAST YEAR.  

I don’t look at him and say, well he’s 20 years old so he must have more time in AA.

I'm not doing that either.  But age is a factor among other things. I also take into account the sample and his performance last year. 

I put a little more stock into things I can measure rather than spring training reports that someone is turning heads.