Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, joelala said:

He’ll be taking Nevin’s spot on the team as soon as we can secure his rookie eligibility for next season. 

This is likely correct.  Urias to second and Henderson to third.  Roatate various guys through first and DH for rest etc. 

Edited by baltfan

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

This is likely correct.  Urias to second and Henderson to third.  Roatate various guys through first and DH for rest etc. 

Certainly seems that way. I was sharing with a buddy last night that inserting Henderson into last nights lineup really makes it interesting. Really hoping it happens next week.

The funny thing is, is that you would think 3B would be the quicker way to get him up here, not 1B.   He's not going to be brought up to be a caddy for Mountcastle.    Urias to 2B and Henderson to 3B seems to make sense.   Henderson to 1B and Mountcastle to ???? is a little tougher to comprehend.    Unless, that want Henderson at 3B 3-4 times a week and want him at 1B 1-2 times a week.   I guess that makes sense.

Edited by RZNJ

On 8/17/2022 at 4:14 AM, Sports Guy said:

Acuna’s deal isn’t a barometer for anyone.  He made a mistake with that deal.  He was also younger when he signed it.  Adley would want more.  It’s definitely going to have to be higher, like you said at the end here.

Adley is going to finish in the top 2 of ROY voting at this rate, so he has 2 more years before arb1 kicks in.

2023: 750K (or whatever the exact new minimum is)

2024: 750k

2025: 5M

2026: 12M

2027: 22M

Rough numbers and, of course, he needs to stay good..so basically, he should see something in the area of 40 million through his arb seasons.  Could be a little more or a little less depending on other factors but this should be a rough ballpark.

It then comes down to how many FA years you can get him to sign off on. With the way FA is headed and with his ability level, he’s looking at 35+M a year in free agency.

So, let’s just call it 8/150 as what he will make.  You hope if you do this type of deal that you get a discount and maybe you can get him for between 120-135M.

I don't think he signs for less than around 180 or in that ballpark on an 8 year deal.  I think your arb numbers and overall numbers are wildly low.  Buster Posey signed for 8/159 10 years ago before his arb1 year.  Even removing 2 of his seasons for prearb numbers you're at around 8/120 in an era where FA wins cost about 40% less than they do today.  Adjusting that price for today's market, that puts him at around 8/180, and I expect that to be the absolute floor.  I think 200ish is more likely. 

Mountcastle has really struggled, might be a way to get him days off. 

That said, Gunnar has been striking out more at Triple-A. He'd certainly be an improvement on Odor, but he's also not a finished product in the same vein as Stowers or Adley 

I don't think we can really know exactly what they're gonna do with the big league infield down the stretch, but regardless, him auditioning at 1B/2B seem to be very strong indications that Gunnar is getting the call soon.

There's obviously no reason to project him long-term as a utility guy or on the right side of the infield, so these have to be tryouts to get his bat in the lineup in the short-term without disturbing Urias or Mateo.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't think we can really know exactly what they're gonna do with the big league infield down the stretch, but regardless, him auditioning at 1B/2B seem to be very strong indications that Gunnar is getting the call soon.

There's obviously no reason to project him long-term as a utility guy or on the right side of the infield, so these have to be tryouts to get his bat in the lineup in the short-term without disturbing Urias or Mateo.

While I don't think it will do him any harm it does seem a bit odd to be picking now to move him around.

If he gets called up I'd rather he concentrate on one position, at least for the immediate future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I don't think it will do him any harm it does seem a bit odd to be picking now to move him around.

If he gets called up I'd rather he concentrate on one position, at least for the immediate future.

I do worry about prospects being handled delicately, and I didn't like how callously they handled the DL Hall situation. But until they actually make Gunnar play 2B in Baltimore, I don't really mind them messing around with that in Norfolk just to see what happens.

Their starting point is probably that they would rather take Odor/Mountcastle out of the lineup than Mateo/Urias. The way I would accomplish that isn't to put Gunnar at 1B/2B, but rather put Urias or other utility guys there. Put Gunnar in a position to succeed.