Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Gunnar seems to be slumping somewhat in Norfolk.  I wonder if the stat guys can figure out what is going on with him lately?  I think this is perhaps why Elias is holding off bringing him up.   He is not on a hot streak.   

I think that if a player is on a hot streak or not does not factor into Elias' decision making.

Was Hall on a hot streak when he got called up?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if a player is on a hot streak or not does not factor into Elias' decision making.

Good point.  I think bringing up Hall was a morale boosting exercise.   I remember Elias personally called him in July to remind him that he was still in our plans.  I think Hall might of been down on himself mentally after several rather bad starts.   

You are right Elias brings people up for his own reasons and when he wants.   Very hard to predict him.  Maybe in four or five years time the fans will know exactly how Elias will react.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t think it’s a hot streak vs cold. I do think they’re looking at quality of the at bat. The swing decisions, contact etc. And Gunnar has been striking out a lot. I wonder if he’s pressing knowing he’s close. 

(and Hall was a weird deal, almost like they were trying to make a point or motivate him. I wonder if he’s been resistant to some changes they want him to make) 

20 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I don’t think it’s a hot streak vs cold. I do think they’re looking at quality of the at bat. The swing decisions, contact etc. And Gunnar has been striking out a lot. I wonder if he’s pressing knowing he’s close. 

(and Hall was a weird deal, almost like they were trying to make a point or motivate him. I wonder if he’s been resistant to some changes they want him to make) 

Yeah. We tend to forget there's a very real human element to this and they aren't robots. I wouldn't be surprised if Gunnar was pressing trying to impress to be sure he got a call up. Dingers get me up faster, right?

Same with DL. Think he believed that string of starts in June? made him deserving of a call-up but he still wasn't doing what they asked of him and he got discouraged. That random start was a bone throw of encouragement and reassurance that they still believed in him and to convince him not to be discouraged of the ask to throw relief the rest of the year. 

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

One of Gunnar's least talked about tools is his speed.  Two infield hits tonight. (another 3 hit night) He absolutely flies.  I remember someone posting sprint speeds to 1b that were taken from the futures game and it had him top percentile of MLBers.   Has two stolen bases tonight as well.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well we can finally move his thread onto the majors board! 

It will be interesting to see who's playing time he takes? He's been playing a lot of 2B lately in Norfolk so i think Odor may finally be heading to the bench.

Hopefully, although against righties I could him getting starts at 3B over Urias and Odor continuing to start. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hopefully, although against righties I could him getting starts at 3B over Urias and Odor continuing to start. 

That made more sense when Nevin was the backup and Urias would have to move to second base. I think the Orioles are satisficed Henderson can turn the DP effectively at 2B and will play him there.

In the last two weeks, Henderson has played 3B only once, 2B six times, 1B three times and SS three times so it doesn't appear the plan is to play him on the left side much. I could see him playing 2B and 1B down the stretch especially if Mountcastle doesn't pick it up.

• Upvote 1