Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

This board gets so pessimistic after a couple losses!

Speaking strictly for myself, I look at a loss last night where they looked completely flat and wonder if this is where the wheels start to fall off.  

We can debate on what counts as a small sample size.  I mean, the Nats back in 2019 went on a tear, won the WS and have sucked ever since.  Granted, they've lost some key players from that team.  

But I think most of us can agree that this team has played above it's talent level for almost the entire season.  The bullpen, for the most part, has been great but is that sustainable?  Look at guys like Kremer and Voth, are they for real?  It's fair to wonder if it can carry over to next year, but I think it's also fair to wonder if it can carry through all 162 games.  

It's not being pessimistic, although I think some of the oldtimers here would call me a pessimist...but, IMO, it's well within reason to wonder if, after a couple losses, if the wheels are coming off.  

And like I said earlier, even if the wheels DO come off in September, it's been a fantastic season.

EDIT:  It's been a fantastic season as long as we can finish ahead of Boston.  **** the Red Sox.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Speaking strictly for myself, I look at a loss last night where they looked completely flat and wonder if this is where the wheels start to fall off.  

We can debate on what counts as a small sample size.  I mean, the Nats back in 2019 went on a tear, won the WS and have sucked ever since.  Granted, they've lost some key players from that team.  

But I think most of us can agree that this team has played above it's talent level for almost the entire season.  The bullpen, for the most part, has been great but is that sustainable?  Look at guys like Kremer and Voth, are they for real?  It's fair to wonder if it can carry over to next year, but I think it's also fair to wonder if it can carry through all 162 games.  

It's not being pessimistic, although I think some of the oldtimers here would call me a pessimist...but, IMO, it's well within reason to wonder if, after a couple losses, if the wheels are coming off.  

And like I said earlier, even if the wheels DO come off in September, it's been a fantastic season.

EDIT:  It's been a fantastic season as long as we can finish ahead of Boston.  **** the Red Sox.

I agree with most of this. I just think declarations about its highly unlikely, etc are silly for anyone who has been watching this team all year to make. How can anyone be watching this team since April and think they’re out of anything?  Every two losses in a row doesn’t mean the wheels are coming off  it means we’re rooting for a baseball team that plays 162 games.  It’s outrageous to suggest they shouldn’t or won’t lose a few in a row multiple times throughout the season.

As for Odor  plenty of contending teams have a black hole in their lineup.  Cleveland has been playing Myles Straw and his .500 ish OPS a lot.  And they have a similar record to us.  There are examples on pretty much every team.  The idea that we can’t win with Odor getting regular starts is just straight up wrong and at this point tiresome.  Do I want us to replace him?  Yes.  Is it malpractice not to?  Absolutely not.

I fully agree it’s been an awesome season no matter what happens from here. The fact I or anyone else even cares as the NFL season approaches is a win in and of itself at this point (even for non NFL fans, usually by this time it’s been extremely ugly since 2017).

anyway time to see what Gunnar’s got. Let’s go!

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I agree with most of this. I just think declarations about its highly unlikely, etc are silly for anyone who has been watching this team all year to make. How can anyone be watching this team since April and think they’re out of anything?  Every two losses in a row doesn’t mean the wheels are coming off  it means we’re rooting for a baseball team that plays 162 games.  It’s outrageous to suggest they shouldn’t or won’t lose a few in a row multiple times throughout the season.

As for Odor  plenty of contending teams have a black hole in their lineup.  Cleveland has been playing Myles Straw and his .500 ish OPS a lot.  And they have a similar record to us.  There are examples on pretty much every team.  The idea that we can’t win with Odor getting regular starts is just straight up wrong and at this point tiresome.  Do I want us to replace him?  Yes.  Is it malpractice not to?  Absolutely not.

I fully agree it’s been an awesome season no matter what happens from here. The fact I or anyone else even cares as the NFL season approaches is a win in and of itself at this point (even for non NFL fans, usually by this time it’s been extremely ugly since 2017).

anyway time to see what Gunnar’s got. Let’s go!

Straw is also a very good defensive player. Odor is not.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Yep, teams have black holes, but Mountcastle and Hays are quickly becoming black holes, too.  Not to the extent that Odor is, but they're becoming liabilities right before our very eyes.  I'm not about to go around and look at all the contending teams and compare and contrast who's better and worse than Odor/Mountcastle/Hays but all I know is that these three are automatic outs right now.  Odor has been an automatic out all year, Mountcastle and Hays have been terrible for extended periods of time.  

On top of that, I don't have to tell you (or anyone else on here) that we'd be a lot better off if we were in Cleveland's division.  That's not a complaint, btw, but I would say it's somewhat easier for Cleveland to trot Myles Straw out there than it is for us to trot Odor out there.  

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, teams have black holes, but Mountcastle and Hays are quickly becoming black holes, too.  Not to the extent that Odor is, but they're becoming liabilities right before our very eyes.  I'm not about to go around and look at all the contending teams and compare and contrast who's better and worse than Odor/Mountcastle/Hays but all I know is that these three are automatic outs right now.  Odor has been an automatic out all year, Mountcastle and Hays have been terrible for extended periods of time.  

On top of that, I don't have to tell you (or anyone else on here) that we'd be a lot better off if we were in Cleveland's division.  That's not a complaint, btw, but I would say it's somewhat easier for Cleveland to trot Myles Straw out there than it is for us to trot Odor out there.  

Certainly agree re the divisions. We have a very similar record to CLE but we’re three games out of playoffs and they are not only in, but in as a division winner as of now (still WC round bound but in). Not much we can do about that. 

• Upvote 1