MLB Network

Orioles West

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever...in 3 days you guys will be whining about how they everything they show is Sox/Yanks related.

;)

It won't take three days with this crowd...more like 3 seconds. I'm surprised no one has complained that the studio is #3 in honor of Babe Ruth. ;)

Dammit! It should be #5 and there should be a statue of Brooks out front wearing jersey that says BALTIMORE on it.

Sheesh. Stupid MLB network.

I know, MLB Network Sucks! Now they're showing Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series. They should totally be showing the Orioles combined no hitter against the A's in '91. This network is the worst! They clearly hate the Orioles.

I'm liking what I've watched so far. I'm glad Harold Reynolds is on the network, I've always liked his input.

A pretty good first day. I would have liked a little more info on Hot Stove, versus showing off some of the Stage 42 bells and whistles. No real info from their 'insiders' as of yet. I would say I got more info off OH recently than anything on that first show. That said, it seems like it has some potential.

Costas covering the classic stuff added some instant credibility for me. And seeing Harold back in the game was cool. I know he had done some online things for MLB.TV as well, but still nice to see him in studio.

-Don

A pretty good first day. I would have liked a little more info on Hot Stove, versus showing off some of the Stage 42 bells and whistles. No real info from their 'insiders' as of yet. I would say I got more info off OH recently than anything on that first show. That said, it seems like it has some potential.

Costas covering the classic stuff added some instant credibility for me. And seeing Harold back in the game was cool. I know he had done some online things for MLB.TV as well, but still nice to see him in studio.

-Don

I feel like that first day was mainly just to "show everyone around". It was the debut. I feel like they'll start more "baseball" in the upcoming days.

... and you lived in korea? That's great! Where were you? I was living in the northern part of Seoul.

I spent 17 months in South Korea, while my family remained back in Colorado. I was in Taegu for 4 months, on the battalion staff there, while I was looking for a company command. When the pending commander of a company in Pyontaek came out on the ration control violation list -- I still don't know if he was guilty or not -- I got the company command that he was supposed to take. Within my company were signal sites at Camp Humphreys, Camp Ames, Osan Air Base, and Kunsan Air Base. In addition, I had mountaintop sites near Camp Ames, Kunsan Air Base, and midway between Pyontaek and Taejon. There was also a small communications element supporting an Air Force detachment at a ROK Air Force base near Mangilsan. The US Air Force detachment was scheduled to leave about the time I completed my command and returned home.

There is a web page describing my battalion headquarters. Much of the information is still accurate, even after over 20 years. The mission of my company has changed somewhat; the article says it now has 3 microwave sites along the DMZ; when I was there, the demarcation between our battalion and the 41st Signal Battalion was South of Seoul. The 41st Signal Battalion composition and mission appears about the same; no indication on their website why they wouldn't have been responsible for unattended sites along the DMZ.

My company was also a little larger then -- the 71 US soldiers was once about 90 and the Korean civilian contingent has shrunk from around 100 to only 39. KATUSAs and the DA civilian remains about the same.

... One common issue re: signal loss due to rain and cloud cover is that lazy installers don't get the mast exactly plumb, which in turn makes it virtually impossible to align the dish properly. So, you get "good-enough" signal when the sky is clear, but it doesn't take much to ruin it. It happened to me, until I fixed it myself.

At age 62 and being pretty heavy, I'm not quite up to climbing around on my garage roof to check. It's a pretty short mount, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to get plumb. Since I'm probably switching over to Comcast on January 30th, it's probably not worth worrying about.

Another thing which bothers me are the interminable software downloads. They take 15-30 minutes and can occur at any time of the day or night, during which reception is blocked. Sometimes, the download fixes a problem I've noticed, but mostly it's just a nuisance or makes cosmetic improvements. Of course, the majority of the downloads seemed to be in the wee hours of the morning when I should have been asleep anyhow, but it's the principle of the thing.

Archived