Minor league promotions/movement 2022

interloper

What we know. He's a big bonus kid who had great exit velocities in high school. He didn't hit last year in the FCL. He looks out of shape but apparently has a strong arm. He was held back to start this season.

That doesn't inspire confidence, but there's a ton we don't know too, so to say it's concerning is correct. To say the story isn't written yet is also correct. 

We also know that Tony doesn't just look at box scores and come up with opinions. If someone gave him reason to think highly of Willems, he would probably be giving more benefit of the doubt. My assumption is nobody's come to Tony and said that this kid is very good. Just an assumption though.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

lol... Nah, I remember my fails as well. Luis Jimenez, Radhmas Liz, Chance Sisco (though I did jump off his badwagon faster than others) were all guys I saw personally and ranked top ten at some point. I would say Billy Rowell, but honestly once I saw him live a bit, I dropped him before most others and by Frederick, I was convinced he was not a prospect.

I mean, it's not like I argued that Jeff Fiorentino was a prospect after Syd ridiculously jumped him from High-A to the big leagues. ;)

Funny you mention Liz.   I believe our debate was over the fact that you ranked Liz higher than Fiorentino on your top 30 list, I think after the 2005 season when Fio made his premature debut.  As it ended up, Liz pitched 133 innings at a career ERA of 6.94 for -1.8 rWAR, while Fiorentino had 173 PA at a career OPS of .666, for 0.7 rWAR.   Not exactly the Battle of the Titans!

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bumping this because I feel like promotions must be imminent. 

They MUST be! 

Travel costs between Bowie and Norfolk (and Aberdeen and Bowie) are too expensive.  Management is waiting until gas prices come down.

35 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Have there really been no promotions in May so far?

Technically, Rico Garcia was promoted from Bowie to Norfolk. However, he's 28 and was most likely in AA because he hasn't pitched since 2019 (AA and AAA that year). 

In terms of actual prospect movement, no, I don't believe we've seen one yet. Unless you count Creed Willems getting added to Delmarva. 

ML-wise, Vespi and Bradish count as true promotions. I don't really count Nevin, who debuted last year and is mostly here because he's more versatile than Gutierrez. I don't count Bannon because he was here as an injury replacement and quickly optioned. I expect that will also be the case for Gillaspie once pitcher limits are enforced again on May 29, but that's a wait and see for me. 

10 hours ago, Aglets said:

Have there really been no promotions in May so far?

Gillaspie was promoted to Norfolk, then to Baltimore after three appearances.  
McLarty was promoted from Aberdeen to Bowie.   
There might be others.   Those are two I noticed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Annoyingly, due to the 13 inning game, Gillaspie and Vespi were optioned for Mountcastle and Baumann. They'll be back soon, especially Vespi.

Can't wait until both are back up.  Loved watching them pitch last night.

Promotions incoming today with the minor league offday. This tweet is either referencing Prieto to AA or Henderson to AAA, but hopefully both! I agree with others in another thread that Martin will replace Owings and help create room for Henderson. Martin is playing lights out at AAA and clearly deserves to be on the ML squad as the bench SS. 

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

Promotions incoming today with the minor league offday. This tweet is either referencing Prieto to AA or Henderson to AAA, but hopefully both! I agree with others in another thread that Martin will replace Owings and help create room for Henderson. Martin is playing lights out at AAA and clearly deserves to be on the ML squad as the bench SS. 

Prieto had an off day on Sunday. Maybe an extra day to travel and then rest up for his debut at the next level. I have tickets for Bowie on Friday. Selfishly I hope to get a look at Prieto along with Westburg and Henderson but hopefully will get at least two of the three!

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

If it’s Prieto, you almost have to promote someone in Bowie to Norfolk. The Bowie IF is already at capacity. 

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It's official.  Prieto is joining Bowie.

Since Henderson is staying in Bowie for now, I guess Henderson, Westburg, Ortiz and Prieto will be rotating between 2B, SS, 3B and DH? Will we see any of them play OF or 1B?