Rylan Bannon 2022

Frobby

Rylan Bannon is a guy I’d just about given up for dead after his .177/.297/.370 slash line last year.   Almost all his production (10 of his 16 homers) came in one ten game hot spell; otherwise he was awful all year.   

He’s come back in 2022 like a different guy.   So far, in 14 games he’s hit .353/.441/.510.    

I don’t think you can draw too much for 14 games.   It could just be a hot streak like he had last year (less homer-driven though).   But, it’s encouraging to see that he’s off to a good start and put himself back on the prospect radar.  

• Upvote 1

.951 OPS playing in Norfolk, that is impressive even if it is only 14 games. I dont know if the Orioles see him as someone they'd want to try at 3B or not but he's going to give them a decision to make.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bannon made his 3rd error at 3B in 10 games this year.  He is not ready for a promotion.  Too many errors at 3B and not enough range at 2B IMO.

I don't put much stock into things like 3 errors in 10 games but I suspect his 3B defense is a average at best and probably below.  I doubt his offense is good enough at the ML level but it goes under the heading "We have nothing to lose by giving him a look".

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bannon made his 3rd error at 3B in 10 games this year.  He is not ready for a promotion.  Too many errors at 3B and not enough range at 2B IMO.

It's a well known fact that you can't work on your defense once you get to the majors.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I want to see these guys at AAA get at least 100 at bats before they are called up.(Barring injuries at the MLB level).   If this is their first chance at AAA then 200 at bats.

Except for Adley.

Adley needs 300 at bats.

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Adley needs 300 at bats.

We need a pool on how many different ways you can say the same joke before it gets old.  I'm going with 3 but we're at least 100 past that.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Got the call to the show.  He’s got a little pop.  Wish him well.  Always fun to see someone’s debut. 

He's only on the taxi squad, did not actually get called up. 

• 2 months later...

Good luck to him.  Heading back to the Dodgers organization.  He had a .754 OPS across 78 games at Norfolk this year.

No hard feelings........seems like he was just getting surpassed by other prospects here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I do if Santander and Stowers are on the roster next year.  I'd be fine with Adley at 1B, Stowers in RF and Santander as DH against tough right-handers, especially if Mountcastle is still on the team.
    • Yes, this is a different kind of trading year for Elias so we really are in uncharted territory.  You don't trade established players for minor league talent this year, you are now trading either minor league talent for established major league players or dealing established players in positions of depth for established young players in positions of need like, SP and Left-handed hitting 1B.  
    • Now he won't do it just to pi** you off! 😁
    • No its not. Having Adley only catch 100 games is awful and signing a back up C for 20+M a year for several years makes no sense. And let's not overrate the Adley bat quite yet.  He barely hit 250, had poor EVs and hard hit % and he struggled mightily from the right side. His bat may end up being special but if you take him out from behind the plate, that bat isn't nearly as impactful.
    • I think they are going to give him every chance to start in ST and then back in AAA even if for another half season if need be. The MLB pen should be constructed to not need him as a reliever, unless there are a slew of injuries. 
    • So your theory is Elias used a 40-man roster spot to protect a 33-year old Crash Davis type to mentor a potential backup catch at AAA? Honestly, considering the insanity of this move, I can buy it over anything else. It's still makes zero sense since there is no history of Bemboom being some kind of defensive savant and the organization traded for Cam Gallagher who has a much better defensive record at the major league level with plus pitch framing abilities.  This has to be some kind of once in baseball history kind of thing. Has any team, after their season was over, ever put a 33-year old catcher on the 40-man roster with a career major league OPS under .500 in the history of the game?  Heck, Bemboom was a minor league signing last offseason and is a year older, and coming off another injury riddled poor offensive season at both the major and AAA level.  My running theory is that Elias' contract is really coming up and he wants to either leave or he wants some big money and until he gets that contract extension he's going to start loading up the 40-man with 30-year old-plus bad AAA players. I'm kidding of course, but this theory makes as much sense as any theory someone can come up with for this move.
  • Popular Contributors