Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I enjoy watching this guy play.  He's fast, looks good at SS, seems to have a quick bat.   Maybe he's only a placeholder but he's a placeholder with talent.   I'm interested to see what he can do with a full season in the field and at bat.    Baseball reference has him with a .5 WAR at this point even with weak offensive numbers to this point.    

Strongly agree. Loved the pickup. Fun to watch and 5 steals so far! 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not sure he is a place holder.  Its depends on what he can do with the bat.  He has great range and a plus arm.  I still think he will make his share of errors though.   He may be better than Gunnar, Westburg or Ortiz defensively at SS.

Thats kind of what I've felt too that Mateo probably has better range than all 3 Bowie SS's, and they are going to have to really impress to unseat him. The bat is another story, though we're in position to find that out. 

I like the speed and defense Mateo brings.  His speed on the basepaths is disruptive and forces the opposition to speed up.   

Mateo, Gutierrez, and Urias are all going to get a fair chance to prove they should belong on this team as the youth movement begins. It's poop or get off the pot time now - no excuses.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I like the speed and defense Mateo brings.  His speed on the basepaths is disruptive and forces the opposition to speed up.   

Mateo, Gutierrez, and Urias are all going to get a fair chance to prove they should belong on this team as the youth movement begins. It's poop or get off the pot time now - no excuses.

Of those three I think Mateo has the best chance. 

48 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I'm not sure Mateo has the range that some of you think he does, the advanced stats don't make that argument anyways (in SSS). Ortiz btw is almost certainly the best defender of the 4...but he's the weakest with the bat

I would think Mateo has better range and better arm.  Ortiz has better hands and better glove.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm not saying the bolded is impossible. But what are the odds of that happening for the rest of this season, even if he were to be called up tomorrow? I'm not sure how much value Moutcastle would have (even if he continues to have a very good season) to a team who is rebuilding/reseting/tanking/whatever you want to call it. Mountcastle would seem to have more value to a team who is trying to win and needs offensive production at 1B/DH. And if they are already trying to win, what pitching are they willing to depart with. The only team I can think of that may fit this mold is SEA. IMO that's way too much to give up for a relief pitcher, considering that we only need a good middle reliever. We don't need Emmanuel Clase for the rest of this season. It looks like Kimbrel will do. And then next year Felix will be coming back.
    • I think Elias' MO is always going to be to squeeze the max potential value out of every asset. If Kjerstad isn't playing well enough to wrest away more than 10 ABs/week from the other players on the roster, then I don't think he stays up. Especially when he'd be tying up a bench spot with a player who can really only play one position in the field. He's going to have to earn a bigger time share to justify his spot. 
    • Well, he either shows something or he doesn't. I don't think he's going anywhere until he shows something. 
    • Means starting tonight for Norfolk. Hopefully he puts some length in his start tonight. Probably his next to last minor league start if they do bring him back up. 
    • I'm not saying that id not possible, but it is certainly not probable. Given the talent gap between Carter and Norby. Again, IMO the greater odds/gain is that Norby is a useful piece in a trade than him becoming the next Evan Carter.
    • That sequence showed why Mateo is on the team. There are much worse things than having him in the 9 spot here and there versus LHP. And when he’s not, he can pinch run and do the exact same thing. It’s why when push comes to shove, and it will soon, it’s Urias’ head on the chopping block and not Jorge’s.    We all know this, but it’s nice to see it demonstrated on the field here and there as a reminder.  
    • We could really use Cease too. The WS had a lineup the other day and I believe everyone or at least 8 guys had a sub 200 BA.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now