Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

This is where you hope that Hyde and Elias keep plugging him in at SS and don’t mess with a guy who’s looking solid. There isn’t anyone else in the roster right now who should be playing SS instead. 

4 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

How about Mark Belanger?

Belanger is recent memory for you, eh?

You keep playing everyday at SS for now but he isn't a guy who should be preventing you from finding someone better.

A lot of you are very excited about him but we are still talking about a guy with a 660 OPS and a 93 wRC+.  His OAA is 1 and UZR and UZR/150 has him slightly below average.  He obviously isn't hurting you with the glove and he has a rocket for an arm but he isn't going to be contending for a GG anytime soon either.

Would really like to see him playing 3-5 times a week and moving around the diamond.  I think if you had a better everyday SS and you had him in that role, that elevates the team much more.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You keep playing everyday at SS for now but he isn't a guy who should be preventing you from finding someone better.

A lot of you are very excited about him but we are still talking about a guy with a 660 OPS and a 93 wRC+.  His OAA is 1 and UZR and UZR/150 has him slightly below average.  He obviously isn't hurting you with the glove and he has a rocket for an arm but he isn't going to be contending for a GG anytime soon either.

Would really like to see him playing 3-5 times a week and moving around the diamond.  I think if you had a better everyday SS and you had him in that role, that elevates the team much more.

You mean a better SS option like JJ Hardy and his .690 OPS in 7 seasons with us?  Just appreciate what Mateo is. A 26 yo with a lot of talent that is still harnessing all that, but is still consistent enough to be your everyday SS. 

Mateo is looking like our long term answer at SS. Gunnar 3B. Hopefully one of our other slew of IF prospects can be the 2B.  Westburg, Urias, Vavra, Hernaiz, Ortiz, Norby, and Jones. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

You mean a better SS option like JJ Hardy and his .690 OPS in 7 seasons with us?  Just appreciate what Mateo is. A 26 yo with a lot of talent that is still harnessing all that, but is still consistent enough to be your everyday SS. 

Mateo is looking like our long term answer at SS. Gunnar 3B. Hopefully one of our other slew of IF prospects can be the 2B.  Westburg, Urias, Vavra, Hernaiz, Ortiz, Norby, and Jones. 

No he's not. He  is looking like a guy that with our current situation deserves the chance to show what he can do.  That is far different than he looks like our long term answer at one of the biggest positions on the diamond.

And Hardy was a well above average defensive SS, so you kind of need to include that.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No he's not. He  is looking like a guy that with our current situation deserves the chance to show what he can do.  That is far different than he looks like our long term answer at one of the biggest positions on the diamond.

And Hardy was a well above average defensive SS, so you kind of need to include that.

I’m seeing a player in Mateo that is getting better and better every game. Hardy was an elite defender, but still had a .690 OPS with us. Mateo isn’t the same kind of player, but is looking like he could be the same 3-4 WAR SS Hardy was. You can win with that. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m seeing a player in Mateo that is getting better and better every game. Hardy was an elite defender, but still had a .690 OPS with us. Mateo isn’t the same kind of player, but is looking like he could be the same 3-4 WAR SS Hardy was. You can win with that. 

I like what I see from Mateo, too, but we're still looking at a small sample size of games so far. 

I think he should be plugged in at SS for the rest of the season for sure but I also agree that if Gunnar turns out to be an elite prospect, Mateo isn't a long term answer.  If anything, he's not who you move Gunnar to 3rd base for.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like what I see from Mateo, too, but we're still looking at a small sample size of games so far. 

I think he should be plugged in at SS for the rest of the season for sure but I also agree that if Gunnar turns out to be an elite prospect, Mateo isn't a long term answer.  If anything, he's not who you move Gunnar to 3rd base for.  

I agree but disagree with you at the same time. It’s more of a team building concept. If Gunnar plays SS then we have a big hole at 3rd. It’s way early but I like Mateo. Remember he has a top prospect pedigree and has all the tools as well. 

Nothing is set in stone. See Urias. The difference is that Mateo was a toolsy top prospect and SD had a loaded IF. 

I think we’re seeing breakout seasons from Hays and Mateo. 

SG, you are fighting a losing battle here.   Because Mateo does something most every game to show he is a starting SS.

Mateo or Gunnar at SS.  What terrible problem.   Gunnar at SS and Mateo at 2B or Gunnar at 3B and Mateo at SS.   Give me those problems everyday all day long.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree but disagree with you at the same time. It’s more of a team building concept. If Gunnar plays SS then we have a big hole at 3rd. It’s way early but I like Mateo. Remember he has a top prospect pedigree and has all the tools as well. 

Nothing is set in stone. See Urias. The difference is that Mateo was a toolsy top prospect and SD had a loaded IF. 

I think we’re seeing breakout seasons from Hays and Mateo. 

You can't say nothing is set in stone and point to Urias while holding up Mateo.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can't say nothing is set in stone and point to Urias while holding up Mateo.  

Believe me that’s why I pointed out Urias voluntarily. What separates Urias and Mateo is that Mateo’s bat isn’t the sole reason for his WAR. Better defender. More of a SS. Better baserunner. Mateo is going to have his struggles, but he doesn’t have to keep up an anomaly of an OPS like Urias did. 

Mateo stealing bases helps his bat. I think that is going to lead to him seeing more hittable pitches and strikes. Teams aren’t going to want to give him a free pass on a walk. 

Rightfully excited about him.  But sure, I don't imagine him locking down SS for the next 7 years.  I'd love to be in a position where he is playing 5 nights a week in 3 spots.  SG is right.  

And he didn't say Mateo should be moved off of SS.  He said he should get the time to see if he continues to develop.  And I think most of us would agree that he should stay.  IF Mateo cannot be pushed off of SS so be it.  He has an athleticism that would make him a great super utility guy playing 5 days a week at 3 spots.

If the talent level increases to that point....it would be a great thing.  In the meantime I am enjoying every day of this guy and hope he continues to grow.  Arguably my favorite current Oriole.

• Upvote 2

If Mateo stays as SS then there needs to be major upgrades at other more secure positions.  Mateo is solid and contributing but he’s not a difference maker.  We can’t just be league average at most positions to be a contender.  If we want to be a legit contender then we need to raise the bar.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Believe me that’s why I pointed out Urias voluntarily. What separates Urias and Mateo is that Mateo’s bat isn’t the sole reason for his WAR. Better defender. More of a SS. Better baserunner. Mateo is going to have his struggles, but he doesn’t have to keep up an anomaly of an OPS like Urias did. 

Mateo stealing bases helps his bat. I think that is going to lead to him seeing more hittable pitches and strikes. Teams aren’t going to want to give him a free pass on a walk. 

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree a little bit.  Yeah, he's more of an SS but I don't know if he's an elite glove yet.  

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

SG, you are fighting a losing battle here.   Because Mateo does something most every game to show he is a starting SS.

Mateo or Gunnar at SS.  What terrible problem.   Gunnar at SS and Mateo at 2B or Gunnar at 3B and Mateo at SS.   Give me those problems everyday all day long.

How long have you been here? 

SG is undefeated, just ask him.  He never loses.  Ever.  

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yea, no Im not.  I am fine with him starting at SS for now.  And sure, if he ends up a 3+ WAR player and the defense is good, you can keep him there.

But I don't believe that's who he is and while I know you like to EXTREMELY overrate SSS, I am not going to ignore what he has done in his pro career because of a few ok games.

And btw, I find it hilarious that people are just not mentioning Westburg.  He is 100% in the mix and both him and Gunnar should be in play at SS and other IF positions.