Rougned Odor 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He has a slash line of 197/256/390/646.  His OAA is -5.

You can argue he’s actually been worse than expected.  

He seems to be well liked by the players.  That’s about the best thing that can be said about him.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's replacement level and he should have already been dropped to make room for the future.

I am well aware of his performance numbers and I said he is not good enough to keep.  He is literally a place holder.  But as placeholders go, I am ok with what he has delivered.  Just as I will be pleased when he is finally replaced.   Someone has to show up and play to win without looking over their shoulder until their position is taken.  That isn't very easy but it is better than no chance to win with people who are getting a chance but simply are not good enough.  You won't miss him when he is gone and neither will the Orioles. But I believe Elias and Hyde would say he has been a pretty strong addition for this turnaround season.  But when his replacement is ready he will be gone. And I concede that if either of you were in control, his replacement would have been brought up already.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I am well aware of his performance numbers and I said he is not good enough to keep.  He is literally a place holder.  But as placeholders go, I am ok with what he has delivered.  Just as I will be pleased when he is finally replaced.   Someone has to show up and play to win without looking over their shoulder until their position is taken.  That isn't very easy but it is better than no chance to win with people who are getting a chance but simply are not good enough.  You won't miss him when he is gone and neither will the Orioles. But I believe Elias and Hyde would say he has been a pretty strong addition for this turnaround season.  But when his replacement is ready he will be gone. And I concede that if either of you were in control, his replacement would have been brought up already.

Well if I were in charge, he never would have been brought in to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Odor has at least been consistent and provided stability. I think this signing has worked out. Even if a team does offer us a Cashner type return, I’d still like to hang onto him and finish the year strong, or at least until Elias is ready to turn over 2B to Vavra or Westburg. Urias has to prove he’s healthy. Those core injuries tend to linger in MLB. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Odor has at least been consistent and provided stability. I think this signing has worked out. Even if a team does offer us a Cashner type return, I’d still like to hang onto him and finish the year strong, or at least until Elias is ready to turn over 2B to Vavra or Westburg. Urias has to prove he’s healthy. Those core injuries tend to linger in MLB. 

Consistency and stability?  He has been terrible.  I guess if that is what you are looking for, he has been consistent at that!

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Consistency and stability?  He has been terrible.  I guess if that is what you are looking for, he has been consistent at that!

I guess we all have our players we just don’t like. You’re entitled to your tastes. Urias has had a worst case scenario season so far. We haven’t had any better options. Odor has played good defense at 2B, and it seems(I’m not in the clubhouse) that he’s provided a positive vet presence. 

I’d much rather the O’s have Odor than be locked into the contracts that were given to Correa, Simien, and Seager. 

It’s really hard to complain about a waiver claim, a milb contract, or signing someone to a league minimum contract. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I guess we all have our players we just don’t like. You’re entitled to your tastes. Urias has had a worst case scenario season so far. We haven’t had any better options. Odor has played good defense at 2B, and it seems(I’m not in the clubhouse) that he’s provided a positive vet presence. 

I’d much rather the O’s have Odor than be locked into the contracts that were given to Correa, Simien, and Seager. 

It’s really hard to complain about a waiver claim, a milb contract, or signing someone to a league minimum contract. 

He hasn't been terrible but I think we have multiple guys in the minors that would outperform him and they should be given the chance.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He hasn't been terrible but I think we have multiple guys in the minors that would outperform him and they should be given the chance.

Odor has stabilized 2B the same way Chirnos held down C until AR got here. We’re actually paying Chirnos more money. I can’t find fault in Odor because he’s been our best, most realistic, 2B option all so far this season. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Odor has stabilized 2B the same way Chirnos held down C until AR got here. We’re actually paying Chirnos more money. I can’t find fault in Odor because he’s been our best, most realistic, 2B option all so far this season. 

You don't think they have anyone in the minors that could exceed his performance?

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Except he hasn’t provided good defense and what his makes is irrelevant at this point.

You need production and he is getting a lot of playing time and giving us very little to no production.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No he hasn’t.

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Baseball lives can be so funny.    End of next year, Gunnar will need 5 WAR to be where Rougned was at the end of his Age 22 season.

All 2.5 of those good seasons were in the track record when the Rangers guaranteed him his ~$50mm before 2017 Opening Day.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/rangers-close-to-extension-with-rougned-odor.html

Skimming that story, I hadn't thought about Jason Kipnis in awhile.

I remember Odor was considered a good comp for Schoop at the time.  There was talk of whether we should offer Schoop a comparable deal.   Schoop has been by far the better player, but he’s never earned more than $8.5 mm in a season.  

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think they have anyone in the minors that could exceed his performance?

He is basically a replacement level offensive player.  

The answer of course is yes.  But he is not here because they think he is better than someone else.  He is literally here until they think someone else is ready to be successful.  He will be gone soon enough.

I am much more interested in obtaining value from traded assets in the coming weeks than when Odor is gone.  One of those things could impact the future.  The other is largely irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

He is basically a replacement level offensive player.  

The answer of course is yes.  But he is not here because they think he is better than someone else.  He is literally here until they think someone else is ready to be successful.  He will be gone soon enough.

I am much more interested in obtaining value from traded assets in the coming weeks than when Odor is gone.  One of those things could impact the future.  The other is largely irrelevant.

I don't believe that.

Do you think that is the only criteria in play?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He has a cool beard, and he seems to swing really hard. Plus he gave me a reason to send the GIF of him punching Bautista to my brother-in-law.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't believe that.

Do you think that is the only criteria in play?

We’ll have a better basis to discuss this when the season is over and we know how players have performed over a longer period of time and whether they got called up or not.