Tex signed?

Old Beta

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't said a peep throughout the last week or so of this whole Tex 'Mess'.... but as I sit here and read our insiders give us their info, then look on ESPN.com or FoxSports.com, the ONLY thing I keep thinking to myself is the quote from Squints, from the classic baseball movie, The Sandlot...

I've been coming here every summer of my adult life, and every summer there she is oiling and lotioning, lotioning and oiling... smiling. I can't take this no more!

Ken Rosenthal thinks the Yanks should jump in and blow everyone away!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8951920/Signing-Teixeira-would-help-Yanks-derail-BoSox

Hilarious stuff.

From the Yankees' perspective, I think they should too. They've been playing second fiddle to Boston for 5 years. Grabbing up Tex is as much about the Sox not getting him as it is the Yanks getting him.

Rosenthal's second point was, after blowing their load on CC, why hold back with Tex? It seems silly that the Yankees are suddenly worried about an inflated payroll.

I don't really care for Rosenthal, but in this case I don't think he's arguing anything outrageous. Hopefully later today we'll find out this is all moot. :D

I almost wonder if the Orioles are doing this on purpose considering the beating they've have taken in the national media.

I kind of get that feeling. Like they want everyone to believe we're completely out of it, so that it seems more "oh my god, they did it!"

I'm sure if we do get him, they'll just say we came in at the last second with a huge offer.

The attendance without Tex will be woeful. It's a little sickening just to think about it. Especially if we respond by getting a guy like Eric Hinske as some sort of god-awful consolation prize. That's almost like rubbing it in the fans' face.

This reminds me of the latest presidential election...(not getting political just making a point)...the republicans were convinced they were in the election and that the liberal media was just skewing the polls to show that Obama had a huge lead. Then election day came and the election turned out just like the polls said it would all along.

That situation was a little different. They couldn't say it's over b/c then their voters wouldn't turn out and they would start losing House and Senate races too. So there was a very good reason to publicly display optimism. However, I guess you could argue that by saying, through insiders, that we are in it and are going to make a "wow offer", Angelos is trying to save face and keep people coming to the park. I personally don't buy the national media's response, mostly b/c of how MacPhail plays things close to the vest.

7117 has recently sent me a PM at my request and frankly my doubt as to his validity remains. This does not mean he is bogus, but more simply that I'd prefer to eliminate talk of his qualifications as an insider.

In my judgment I believe it's in the best interest of this site to close this thread and I'll begin a new one. Please try to remember to stay on topic... as the silliness level has been off the charts. ;)

Archived