My overall feelings about this team (May 2 edition)

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Urias has been disappointing so far.  Mateo and Odor are about what I thought they'd be.

Batting Nevin higher than them is really a nothingburger, IMO.  

It’s not a big deal, but I feel like it should be earned. All three of those guys have had a lot more success at the ML level than Nevin. And it’s not like Nevin is known for having a good bat. He was sub .700 OPS at Norfolk last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

It’s not a big deal, but I feel like it should be earned. All three of those guys have had a lot more success at the ML level than Nevin. And it’s not like Nevin is known for having a good bat. He was sub .700 OPS at Norfolk last year. 

Agreed, it should be earned for sure.  

18 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I dont think the batting order on this team after #4 means a whole lot. Let it roll with whoever has the hot hand. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Urias has been disappointing so far.  Mateo and Odor are about what I thought they'd be.

Batting Nevin higher than them is really a nothingburger, IMO.  

Urias has never hit in April. He hit so bad last year that they demoted him. He seems to hit when it heats up like Mountcastle.

Urias Career April OPS: .179/.230/.245/.475 in 113 PAs. He doesn't have a monthly OPS under .755 in any other month.

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Regarding close games, our differential last year was -297, or -1.83 per game. This year we are -23 through 23 games, or -1.00 per game. So we have been almost half as bad as we were last year.

The pitching has been terrific. May not be sustainable but I am hopeful we at least get a couple of keepers out of this group. That is a huge win that was not anticipated after the string of failures last year. 

Urias has been the biggest disappointment to me. I thought he had enough of a sample size and such a good approach that he would hit. Of course, the offense overall is really struggling. Santander is perhaps the only bright spot. 

Still, with Grayson, Adley, Hall, and one or two of Westburg/Gunnar/Mayo you could see this actually turning into a .500 team without too much help. It does feel like we are turning a corner. 

People keep leaving Stowers out.  I guess because of the Ks?  Seriously, I wonder if he doesn't come up and help out sooner than any of those guys, even if not the same ceiling.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot he got injured...sigh.

6 minutes ago, justD said:

People keep leaving Stowers out.  I guess because of the Ks?  Seriously, I wonder if he doesn't come up and help out sooner than any of those guys, even if not the same ceiling.

I don’t think Stowers is injured. 

I think he’s been left off because we have 3 good OF right now. The glaring holes are all in the IF. 

10 minutes ago, justD said:

Injured?  I don’t think he’s injured right now.  He played in every game since April 22.   He’s only got a .542 OPS in those 9 games though.  

By the way, his strikeout rate is very respectable so far, 15 in 71 PA.   Most of those (11) have come in the past 9 games.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Maybe because it's only 13 at bats over 4 games.

That was in response to someone claiming he had the hot hand. I’m not basing my opposition off 4 games. He’s never hit anywhere to justify hitting 5th in MLB. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Cedric Mullins has driven in all his rbi's at home. Actually has not driven in a run since April 16th. But actually  been better at the plate lately.He is also one of many Orioles who has not hit well with runners in scoring position. 

How many RBIs is a #1 hitter going to get when the 6-7-8-9 guys ahead of him are the drek we are putting out t here?