The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

I just wanted to throw some food for thought out there. A guy I know who works in sports media in texas made the following comment regarding Tex:

I really don't know much about tex as a person. Does this conflict with most reports? The guy who said this has plenty of credibility when it comes to sports insider info (in TX) IMO.

I think it is fair to say he left Texas with that rep, but not a hint of it with the Braves. In fact I know at least one team based south of Atlanta was considering trading for him at the deadline last year and researched it the best they could and were not concerned. So who knows.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually have some empathy for Tex and the decision he must make, assuming he has some emotional ties to the O's. He certainly realizes how much hostility he will receive everytime he enters OPACY in a uniform other than the Orioles. I believe Boras is always looking for the largest contract and will be pushing that on Tex. The last conflict that Tex has to consider, if his contract too large, will he deter the O's from signing others and delaying a run for the playoffs. 8 to 10 years is a long contract, the largest he will ever sign. I don't think being a free agent is quite as "free" as it seems. Sabathia took the money, but I doubt it was the choice he really wanted. We will see how Tex will handle a similar situation.

Very good thought here, if he takes too much money to play for the O's, will Baltimore be able to bring Tex in any more top shelf help? I dont know what the O's books look like, but I know they aren't the yanks or boston and can't give away contracts as such. By spending big on Tex, they may play themselves out of other FA's due to lack of funds.

Yeah, but realistically 150 mil had almost no chance of getting him. And by "the wow offer" I'm referring to Belkast's famous post. Like I said, I thought it was a good first offer - to get things started, but in this situation, it's clearly not a wow, imo.

The problem for Tex is that a 7 year contract puts him in a situation that at 35 he will once again be on the market....if he has Manny numbers fine, but that is unlikely.

I think it is fair to say he left Texas with that rep, but not a hint of it with the Braves. In fact I know at least one team based south of Atlanta was considering trading for him at the deadline last year and researched it the best they could and were not concerned. So who knows.

He was on crummy teams for a while, so that could be partly to blame for any me-first attitude issues he displayed, especially as time wore on. These clubhouse attitude/personality issues tend to be cyclical in a virtuous/vicious kind of way.

Huh? Curt Schilling was one of the most popular Red Sox in the history of the franchise. Please explain how you think he is an example of that?

Weren't two sure fire Hall of Famers run out of Boston prior to their decline? I am referring to Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs!

I understand where Tex is coming from. A baseball career can be short. He has to make as much money as he can. if it's 3 or 4 million off over 8 years then I get see coming to the Orioles. If it's 5-10 million dollars will got to go where the money is. I've seen players take a little less for a chance to make the playoffs. He know that's not going to happen here.

Yeah I'm in the Albany area, and I'd agree with your assessment on Sinkoff. He's not the most knowledgeable guy on the radio.

He is not easy on the ear, and hence he is in Albany. Rambles, is all over the place. But, in Albany it's ok...just dumb Yankee fans and snobby BoSox and apparently no Mets fans.

Huh? Curt Schilling was one of the most popular Red Sox in the history of the franchise. Please explain how you think he is an example of that?

I know a ton of Sox fans who think he is a dbag and think he should keep his mouth shut. But they like him whem he's pitching for the team.

This place really looks like it's bracing for disappointment. Did I miss something, or is it just the pile-up of the national media and the ever-expanding passage of time?

We're just being cautious, that's all. There have been ups and downs all day, but MacPhail's Sun article and Belkast's reassurances have kept the spirit semi-high. We are just getting exhausted from being on here 24/7. Oh, and the alcohol too....can't forget the alcohol!

I gotta go get a haircut. Be back in an hour!

In the meantime, I'll leave you with this...

The newsmen just reported that Santa Clause was spotted flying in from the North Pole!

Are you serious Clark? :laughlol:

Archived