The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure how you can't envision some substantial effect on 1 and 2 from this. I think that's a given.

Further, if we're five years from the "prime" of Tillman, Arrieta and Wieters (and I think that's probably fair) then that means we will have paid a ton of money waiting for them (with Teix in tow).

Where do you stand on an opt-out, Frobby? I can't fathom how a contract to Teix with an opt-out before six years makes a lick of sense.

Like I said, we don't know the true story of the Orioles' economics. They spent $93 mm on payroll in 2007, $67 mm in 2008. Did they spend an additional $26 mm on the farm system, international scouting, etc.? Who knows, but I doubt it. According to Forbes, in 2007 the Orioles had revenue of $166 mm and player expenses of $103 mm (inclusive of benefits). Operating profit was $7.7 mm. From that, I deduce that the team spent ~$55 mm on non-payroll expenses. The year before, the O's had $158 mm in revenue, $86 mm in player expenses, and operating income of $17 mm. That suggests ~$55 mm in non-payroll expenses. That seems to suggest that the drop in payroll made no difference in the amount spent elsewhere. But in any event we don't have the true picture on either the revenue or the expense side, I suspect.

I don't think we're necesarily 5 years away from the "prime" of Wieters et al. Johnny Bench was league MVP at ages 22 and 24. Joe Mauer put up MVP-caliber years at ages 23 and 25. Mike Piazza was cranking from age 24 onwards. Zito, Mulder and Hudson were 23, 23 and 25 when they won 56 games in 2001. Prior, Zambrano and Woods were 22, 22 and 26 when they won 45 games for the Cubs in 2003. Tampa's rotation last year had 3 24-year olds, a 25-year old and a 26-year old. I think it is pretty realistic that our rotation can be good by 2011, if it is ever going to be good.

How I feel about an opt-out depends on the degree to which the contract is frontloaded/backloaded. If it's fairly backloaded, I don't have a problem with it, even after 4 years.

Seriously, you clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. Even after Manny disgraced himself by quitting on his teammates in order to force the team to trade him, there are still many fans here who love the guy.

Just to be clear, the original comment was that Boston "chews up and spits out," athletes. Manny was given a free pass by both the FO and the fan base. They overlooked his immature and selfish behavior and cheered his every move.

No offense but you couldn't be MORE wrong.

The Red Sox have great fans. I mean even the Orioles were putting 2.5 Million fans in the seats for most of their 11 consecutive losing seasons. While there is an argument to be made regarding the downfall of competitive baseball due to the spending of teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and White Sox there is another argument that those teams are good for the financial security of baseball.

I do think a salary cap would help small markets compete on a differant level, the MLBPA would never allow that to happen. It's not your fault as a Red Sox fan, I actually wish the Orioles would make some moves that were slightly more exciting than Trading Ramon Hernandez, signing Izturis, and picking up backup catchers. If the Orioles can not land Teixeira and failt to land a couple solid pitchers and/or a power hitter, then they have done very little this offseason.

We keep talking about signing guys like Roberts and Markakis to extentions, but with those guys we have finished like 85 games under .500 over the last 3 seasons. Who are we going to get to help us get better? The guys we have only guarantee us that we will continue to be 15-30 games under .500 every year.

How is that possible?

Which part?

In 1995 Tex was already an MLB prospect as a sophomore at Mt. St. Joe.

Why he preferred Don Mattingly? I have no idea. Probably something to do with his position and Eddie being run out of town when we were like 9.

He was on crummy teams for a while, so that could be partly to blame for any me-first attitude issues he displayed, especially as time wore on. These clubhouse attitude/personality issues tend to be cyclical in a virtuous/vicious kind of way.

Agreed. It didn't really come through but what I was trying to say is at least some came to the conclusion that it was more a Texas issue than a, um, Tex issue.

Don Mattingly, #23.

Cal Ripken was his second favorite player. Mattingly is with the Dodgers I believe, if he were a Red Sox infield coach we would be screwed. Oh by the way, Ironclad which Cal Ripken is part owner, has an exclusive deal with Don Mattingly. Teixeira would get to be part of their team if he were to sign a deal with Ironclad.

We're just being cautious, that's all. There have been ups and downs all day, but MacPhail's Sun article and Belkast's reassurances have kept the spirit semi-high. We are just getting exhausted from being on here 24/7. Oh, and the alcohol too....can't forget the alcohol!

I gotta go get a haircut. Be back in an hour!

In the meantime, I'll leave you with this...

The newsmen just reported that Santa Clause was spotted flying in from the North Pole!

Are you serious Clark? :laughlol:

Wait...back up. There was alcohol? No one told me there'd be alcohol. I have missed a lot.

Seriously, you clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. Even after Manny disgraced himself by quitting on his teammates in order to force the team to trade him, there are still many fans here who love the guy.

Just to be clear, the original comment was that Boston "chews up and spits out," athletes. Manny was given a free pass by both the FO and the fan base. They overlooked his immature and selfish behavior and cheered his every move.

No offense but you couldn't be MORE wrong.

Yeah, that was meant as a joke. I guess I should have put a :D

Archived