The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

It must be tough to want to come home but know you could go to the playoffs, maybe get a ring in 2009 if you go elsewhere. And if you come home you probably won't see the playoffs until at least 2011 and maybe never get a ring...

If Boras isn't putting out chatter, he has his offers in and his client is making the decision. Or... Boras is holding out because he thinks he can get more.

At the end of the day, Teixeira meant it when he said he wanted to be signed by Christmas, and Boras works for Teixeia, not the other way around. But it always seems like Boras is pulling all these strings and doing all kinds of things as if he's the one calling the shots. Just a good agent, Teixeira wouldn't have picked him if he wasn't a money player.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well AM said he'd be flexible with the offer, basically saying when given the chance to seal the deal, he may offer more depending on the competing contracts.

What I don't get is the thought in the media or by whatever sources that the O's are out of it because other teams have better offers out there. I don't think 8/160 is better than 7/150, and those are the numbers the media is reporting.

Age doesn't necessarily play as large of a roll as experience. I don't have the time to look up all the stats but I am sure none of those pitchers were in their first or second years pitching. A pitcher needs 1 or 2 years before they can get used to the adjustments and high quality hitters in the majors. You cannot expect Tillman and Matuz to be instantly good. Expect a year of 4+ ERA before anything starts to take shape.

Mulder was in his first full year, having pitched about 2/3 of the prior season in the majors. Same with Zito. Hudson was in his 2nd full season, having gone 11-2 in his first partial season and 20-6 in his first full year.

Prior was in his first full year, having had 19 starts the year before. Zambrano was in his first full year as a starter, having had a cup of coffee (7.2 IP) in 2001 and having split time between relief and starting in 2002. Wood was in his 5th year, but he had been good ever since he was a rookie (13-6, 3.40 ERA).

Shields was in his 2nd full year this year, having pitched a partial season in 2006. Sonnanstine was in his first full season. Kazmir was in his 4th full year but he's been pretty good since his first full season (10-9, 3.77 ERA as a 21-year old).

Obviously I'm not saying that Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta are sure to be above average pitchers in 2011. But I am saying that it's by no means outside the realm of possibility. It happens more often than you might think.

Mulder was in his first full year, having pitched about 2/3 of the prior season in the majors. Same with Zito. Hudson was in his 2nd full season, having gone 11-2 in his first partial season and 20-6 in his first full year.

Prior was in his first full year, having had 19 starts the year before. Zambrano was in his first full year as a starter, having had a cup of coffee (7.2 IP) in 2001 and having split time between relief and starting in 2002. Wood was in his 5th year, but he had been good ever since he was a rookie (13-6, 3.40 ERA).

Shields was in his 2nd full year this year, having pitched a partial season in 2006. Sonnanstine was in his first full season. Kazmir was in his 4th full year but he's been pretty good since his first full season (10-9, 3.77 ERA as a 21-year old).

Obviously I'm not saying that Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta are sure to be above average pitchers in 2011. But I am saying that it's by no means outside the realm of possibility. It happens more often than you might think.

Wow, I'm gone for 3 hours and the most exciting thing is Lex changed his avatar, woo!

Now I don't feel like looking up all the pitcher stats, but lots of pitchers have instant success in the bigs. Mussina and Juan Guzman immediately come to mind. Mussina lost out to Guzman for ROY, didn't he?

In his first season, Guthrie was successful. I remember Oswalt starting pretty well. These pitchers would have to be dominant (Matsuz, Tillman, etc). Just even average-to-good would be good.

What a boon it would be to have success like that from a couple of our young pitchers. Everything hinges on it really. Tex or not.

Well I stand correct. IMO, it takes any player time before they get to their full potential with some exceptions. Gutherie is 30 years old. He didn't just come into success. There was a reason the Orioles got their hands on him. I am just saying that 2011 might be when these pitchers make their debuts. I would not expect them to be good their first year. I think they will hit their groove by 2012 or 2013. I hope I am wrong and they all come into fruition with in a year or two.

What a boon it would be to have success like that from a couple of our young pitchers. Everything hinges on it really. Tex or not.

This is what I've repeatedly said. With or without Tex, our franchise will not compete until we have three home grown pitchers (including guys we traded for like Tillman) who are above average or better. The cost of really good free agent pitchers is just too high.

Tex is more a symbol as opposed to the final piece. Yes he's a great ballplayer and it will be great to have him in our lineup, but he's a symbol that the franchise is serious about returning to respectability. The young pitching is what will turn respectability into success.

Well I stand correct. IMO, it takes any player time before they get to their full potential with some exceptions. Gutherie is 30 years old. He didn't just come into success. There was a reason the Orioles got their hands on him. I am just saying that 2011 might be when these pitchers make their debuts. I would not expect them to be good their first year. I think they will hit their groove by 2012 or 2013. I hope I am wrong and they all come into fruition with in a year or two.

IMO, I think Matsuz and Arrieta will be in the rotation by the beginning of 2010. The reason I say this is because Matsuz is a highly regarded prospect and went through multiple college seasons without any major injuries that I know of. In saying that, I feel Matsuz is a very polished pitcher and the sky is the limit for him. Arrieta was also very good last year. I haven't looked in to him too much, but I know that being at AA last year helped him I believe. Also, being on the Olympic team probably set him back a little, but not much. Both of these guys have great stuff and will be very exciting to watch in 2010 if not earlier than that.

Although I did just read about BA talking about Matusz saying they would not be surprised if he reached the bigs in 09. That is really encouraging. I knew they said he was projected as a quick developer but I had no idea they meant that quickly.

This is what I've repeatedly said. With or without Tex, our franchise will not compete until we have three home grown pitchers (including guys we traded for like Tillman) who are above average or better. The cost of really good free agent pitchers is just too high.

And most importantly...Way too much of an injury risk a la Burnett, Colon, Mulder, Zito, etc etc.

Archived