The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Man. It got dead around here.

I think everyone is completely exhausted and I want to thank Scott Boras for that.

After looking at the media reports, I think this is what is going on:

If Baltimore pays what any one else pays, Tex first choice will be Baltimore (he can opt out in 4 years and still can sign with a contending team)

Boras is sending reports to the media that O's are not really in it and there offer is low (Trying to drive the price up).

Our Front Office is sending signals to our local guys saying that a Tex signing is not looking good (AM does not want to show desperation to Scott Boras)

Boras is using leverage and AM is trying to not overpay.

In the end, I think this takes a couple more days and Tex is an O.

That is definitely the optimistic view. I hope you are right but at this point it doesn't seem meant to be. I just hope this ends soon so we can finally rejoice or move our sights to pitching

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It occurred to me that while Boston's corporate profits are much larger than the Orioles, the Red Sox are much closer to maximizing further profits than are we. In other words, the Orioles have more room to increase their profits via increased advertising, MASN subscriptions and ticket sales.

Boston is locked into their bandbox of a park for understandable reasons, can only increase ticket profits by increasing prices, and can only with difficulty increase their advertising and subscription profits because they are already, to a degree, close to being maximized.

Looking at it another way, each new dollar the Orioles invest has the potential for a better return on investment as a proportion of total revenues. Boston only has so much more room to easily increase profits, while the Orioles can so simply by putting Tex on first base.

From a Tex perspective then, if Boston acquires him, he will impact their profits in a less dramatic fashion than the potential return for the Orioles. It would seem then from a purely financial perspective, Boston would have a lower limit on what they are willing to pay Tex, especially as they have what appear to be an exceptional prospect in Anderson waiting in the wings. They have more money to play with certainly, but less financial incentive.

So while Boston does not need Tex to increase profits, and the O's should see a measurable increase in their margins by signing him, it just makes sense that we would go at him with a greater fervor than Boston.

Unfortunately, it also occurred to me that Lerner's group are making the same cost/profit argument among themselves. It is utterly crazy, but we may indeed be competing with the Nats for Tex.

According to Peter Gammons via MASN Sports, Mark Teixeira will make a decision within 48 hours and the final two teams appear to be the Red Sox and Nationals

It occurred to me that while Boston's corporate profits are much larger than the Orioles, the Red Sox are much closer to maximizing further profits than are we. In other words, the Orioles have more room to increase their profits via increased advertising, MASN subscriptions and ticket sales.

Boston is locked into their bandbox of a park for understandable reasons, can only increase ticket profits by increasing prices, and can only with difficulty increase their advertising and subscription profits because they are already, to a degree, close to being maximized.

Looking at it another way, each new dollar the Orioles invest has the potential for a better return on investment as a proportion of total revenues. Boston only has so much more room to easily increase profits, while the Orioles can so simply by putting Tex on first base.

From a Tex perspective then, if Boston acquires him, he will impact their profits in a less dramatic fashion than the potential return for the Orioles. It would seem then from a purely financial perspective, Boston would have a lower limit on what they are willing to pay Tex, especially as they have what appear to be an exceptional prospect in Anderson waiting in the wings. They have more money to play with certainly, but less financial incentive.

So while Boston does not need Tex to increase profits, and the O's should see a measurable increase in their margins by signing him, it just makes sense that we would go at him with a greater fervor than Boston.

Unfortunately, it also occurred to me that Lerner's group are making the same cost/profit argument among themselves. It is utterly crazy, but we may indeed be competing with the Nats for Tex.

According to Peter Gammons via MASN Sports, Mark Teixeira will make a decision within 48 hours and the final two teams appear to be the Red Sox and Nationals

The Nationals over us? That sucks.

Really now, what kind of a ball player is this Texiera? What can he really do? The jury is still out on this if you ask me. Why we'd want to pay him anything is truly beyond me as I don't see the attraction. All this fuss over him to boot.

The Nationals over us? That sucks.

I'll say it again, according to Peter Gammons:

1. Our 1B is Mike Lowell

2. Our rotation is "dominant" with Daniel Cabrera, Erik Bedard and AJ Burnett

3. The deal between us and the Marlins is a "done deal" sending Hayden Penn and another player to the Marlins for Mike Lowell and AJ Burnett...

The list goes on.

Given the numerous reports we've heard in the past 48 hours, the only "report" thats accurate is nobody has a clue.

I don't think Gammons is doing anything but speculating here. Belkast did say earlier that ESPN would most likely run another story by tomorrow morning.

Archived