The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

It occurred to me that while Boston's corporate profits are much larger than the Orioles, the Red Sox are much closer to maximizing further profits than are we. In other words, the Orioles have more room to increase their profits via increased advertising, MASN subscriptions and ticket sales.

Boston is locked into their bandbox of a park for understandable reasons, can only increase ticket profits by increasing prices, and can only with difficulty increase their advertising and subscription profits because they are already, to a degree, close to being maximized.

Looking at it another way, each new dollar the Orioles invest has the potential for a better return on investment as a proportion of total revenues. Boston only has so much more room to easily increase profits, while the Orioles can so simply by putting Tex on first base.

From a Tex perspective then, if Boston acquires him, he will impact their profits in a less dramatic fashion than the potential return for the Orioles. It would seem then from a purely financial perspective, Boston would have a lower limit on what they are willing to pay Tex, especially as they have what appear to be an exceptional prospect in Anderson waiting in the wings. They have more money to play with certainly, but less financial incentive.

So while Boston does not need Tex to increase profits, and the O's should see a measurable increase in their margins by signing him, it just makes sense that we would go at him with a greater fervor than Boston.

Unfortunately, it also occurred to me that Lerner's group are making the same cost/profit argument among themselves. It is utterly crazy, but we may indeed be competing with the Nats for Tex.

According to Peter Gammons via MASN Sports, Mark Teixeira will make a decision within 48 hours and the final two teams appear to be the Red Sox and Nationals

"next media update" per belkast?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You say WE can still finish in last place... and then you condescendingly say YOU FANS WILL KEEP COMING BACK.

Who are you and what kind of statement are you trying to make?

I am just saying that a lot of you will continue to support the team financially even if they cointinue to suck like a hoover.

I quit supporting them with my dollars and viewership last season. I have been a HUGE Orioles fan since the 1979 W.S. but decided that as long as an Angelos owns this team I can't support them.

It seems though that it will take more than getting worse every season for over 10 years, losing a game 30-3, and the release of the awesome Howie Clark to cause some of you to realize Angelos is not a winner. ;)

:D

Why is this thread coming to a halt. Do people have no hope Tex will sign with us, or do people just think there will be no resolution anytime soon?

I think people are sick of the subject and needed a breather or something.

Hey, I'm still here... :D

But there aren't 750 people lurking like there were last night. I get the impression that many felt this morning there would be an announcement or something, but all we got was Buster Olney saying how we were falling out of it.

Like has been mentioned, just wait for the next media update. If it's reasonably pro-Orioles, or even cautiously optimistic, this place will be buzzing again.

Or if someone pops in here and tells everyone that their uncle's brother's 2nd cousin saw Tex and Boras at Dave and Buster's housing wings and boozing with Markakis and Jamie Walker.

After looking at the media reports, I think this is what is going on:

(1) Boras is sending reports to the media that O's are not really in it and there offer is low (Trying to drive the price up).

(2) Our Front Office is sending signals to our local guys saying that a Tex signing is not looking good (AM does not want to show desperation to Scott Boras)

(3) Boras is using leverage and AM is trying to not overpay.

I think so to. Sometimes people act as if media reporters are all Woodward and Bernstein, but 99% aren't and never will be. And those two were Woodward and Bernstein only once in their careers.

O's are trying not to overpay, Boras goes through Olney to get the natives restless. What national guy has more credibility in Baltimore? Rosenthal? Hah!

Reporters are gossips and act as conduits all the time. They can justify their reports by saying they were told this by a reliable source. They're still spin tools.

Why? Proximity to the power and getting in on a little bit of the action.

So AM comes back by the end of the day and says we're flexible.

SB, AM, and PA could probably write the ultimate textbook on negotiating. These are titans at work, dealing with million dollar units.

For them, it's a deadly serious business, like boxing. We have a seat in the arena, but have to watch from behind a screen.

Belkast has the best advice. Relax.

I don't think Gammons is doing anything but speculating here. Belkast did say earlier that ESPN would most likely run another story by tomorrow morning.

Nah, this is patently false. There is NO way ESPN runs another story on this by tomorrow, or even tomorrow. I don't believe it for a second. No way, no how.

After reading that article it looks like it was from yesterday?
I don't know if the article or the update is from yesterday but it got me thinking about why the Nats want him in a financial sense rather than a baseball sense.

I don't believe for one second that Peter Gammons KNOWS that Teixeira is going to make a decision between now and tomorrow night.

Even in Roch's blog, it says that it's his opinion.

The biggest question in everyone's mind is simply whether or not we have budged from our initial offer of 7/$140. If we haven't, and Gammons' opinion is correct, then I am confident in saying that Teixeira isn't coming to Baltimore.

But, we have heard from sources here that we have in fact upped the initial offer.

So the bottom line is, nobody has the faintest idea about what's true and what's not and the only way we'll be positive is when we see this character standing at a podium with a jersey on. Hopefully it's sooner than later because this is really maddening for many, many, O's fans.

Belkast did in fact say that there would be negative reports coming out of the national media before resolution. We got that today. In a weird way, that encouraged me.

I don't believe for one second that Peter Gammons KNOWS that Teixeira is going to make a decision between now and tomorrow night.

The biggest question in everyone's mind is simply whether or not we have budged from our initial offer of 7/$140. If we haven't, and Gammons' opinion is correct, then I am confident in saying that Teixeira isn't coming to Baltimore.

But, we have heard from sources here that we have in fact upped the initial offer.

So the bottom line is, nobody has the faintest idea about what's true and what's not and the only way we'll be positive is when we see this character standing at a podium with a jersey on. Hopefully it's sooner than later because this is really maddening for many, many, O's fans.

Belkast did in fact say that there would be negative reports coming out of the national media before resolution. We got that today. In a weird way, that encouraged me.

One thing is for sure....It gets to the point where it is tough to ignore all the media reports saying we are out of it.

Am I the only one that really can't even fathom Tex being a Nat?

Like no disrespect, but what are they offering (outside of $)

One thing is for sure....It gets to the point where it is tough to ignore all the media reports saying we are out of it.

...unless your name is JTrea.

I will say, however, that this is vintage Boras. The man has a knack for creating all kinds of conflicting information and using it to his advantage.

Archived