The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Teixeira is smart he will end these negotiations now. Not tomorrow. Now! If we have a 7 yr $150 million offer on the table and 8 yrs for $160 million is the top offer I would think the Orioles would add the extra year and the deal would be done. If I am PA and AM I would say the deal is off the table at noon tomorrow. Take it or leave it. I am quite frankly surprised the Orioles would go to $21.4 million per year. As I have said a number of times Teixeira is at best a $16 or $17 million dollar player. How Boras has been able to drive the price up above $20 million a year is puzzling to me.

I don't see how the Red Sox or Angels our major competition to sign him can offer him $20 million+ without disrupting their salary structure for the other players on their teams and how he will exist in the dugout and clubhouse with his extremely high salary. I just don't see how it can work and I think Boras is going to make Teixeira's life uncomfortable with any team he signs woth. Yes...he will have more money than he count and will smile all the way to the bank. Will he be happy with his new team? I say no....there are too many egos to deal with on a team and the other players are going to look at him wondering "what's the big deal here?" He's a very good player but he's not A-Rod. We've already covered his numbers in 08 compared to Huff's who made $8 million and theres not that much difference. PR is great but is it worth $5 million a year? I covered this a week or two ago and I think the increase in ticket sales and apparel with his name on it will cover the extra millions he will collect. How will his contract affect everyone else on the team? If I am an agent for the other players on the team I am loving the chance to negotiate with AM on a future contract. BROB and Markakis are probably praying he signs with us so they can up their salaries even more than they have already.

He either signs by noon tomorrow or I say I'm out. Dunn, Sheets, Looper, Garland or Perez and Zaun should be signed in 24 hrs after we pull out. We will be an above .500 team with these additions and the others we have already made. Life goes on with or without him. If he's going to sign he better do it soon because people are going to expect a lot more from him than he has delivered in the past which will be asking too much.

And my pessimism reaches an all time high.

I just don't see this getting done now guys. And I'm getting frustrated that this keeps dragging out. I wish it'd just be over.

Yeah, I have to agree. I know my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans, but I highly doubt we're still in this.

Oh well. Hopefully PA and AM will remember to roll out the red carpet when the Sux and Skanks come to town. That's the only time next season they're ever going to have a crowd at the yard. I'm certainly not going to waste any of my money on this garbage.

I always wondered if Nolan Reimold could make a transition to first. It would probably keep him off of the DL. If they were to try something like this with Scott (per Roch and later shot down, I know), I wonder if they would do something similar with an oft-injured power-hitting outfielder?

Alternatives to Teixeira... just thinking out loud of course.

Yeah, I have to agree. I know my opinion isn't worth a hill of beans, but I highly doubt we're still in this.

Oh well. Hopefully PA and AM will remember to roll out the red carpet when the Sux and Skanks come to town. That's the only time next season they're ever going to have a crowd at the yard. I'm certainly not going to waste any of my money on this garbage.

We are still in this, but the negotiations seem to be taking on a snail's pace of being completed, but seeing as this is Boras vs. MacPhail/Angelos I'm not surprised.

The one thing I noticed though is the O's lost out on Matt Treanor while engaged in Tex negotiations. Granted that's not a huge loss, but Tex is tying up the FO so they can't make other moves. They've got to wrap this up soon.

They could lose out on some other bigger targets like Kawakami if they don't...

At the end of yesterday, Bigbird was optimistic, Belkast said he may sign last night, and that other new insider said the same.

Tonight no one in the media is saying anything remotely positive, Bigbird isn't hearing anything good, and Belkast is being a little less clear and I think optimistic than usual.

I think the emotions of the board have really changed a lot since last night.

I see it differently.

I think given the situation when a new piece of news is presented thats positive... all of us want to take it a mile because it's such a big deal.

Lost in all of this is the simple concept that perhaps, just maybe, no progress was made in the past 24 hours?

Yep. I'll be there next week, Tuesday through Saturday.

Thanks, I'll tune him in. I often listen to the FAN on the drive up, they have a knack for talking about baseball at almost any time of the year.

have a safe trip up. I know we are expecting snow like every 3rd day, tuesday is forcast for snow

Stop being so negative!

There is nothing out there that should bring your hopes down. A report from Peter Gammons saying the Red Sox will end up with him means nothing, he is a Sux homer. I dont believe anything Olney says, and for that matter any other member of the national media.

AM has said that they will alter their original offer if necessary, so that is what I believe. I dont think their is any 10 year deal on the table for any team, and if 8-160 is the highest offer, I have no doubt in my mind the O's will match it. If the O's have the final say, they will beat the offers and Tex will come.

I still think he comes here... whether its 7-150 or 9-200... as long as #25 is in the lineup and playing first... its all good

Will...

Not...

Happen

Accept it and move on. Dropping $20 million per on one guy when the team has as many holes as this one (like, say, every pitcher not named Guthrie after ditching Cabrera without a replacement of even equal value, much less superior value) is insane. Birds have made the cursory waves in the news stories attached to this soap opera, and are ready at the fax machine with their "we made a very competitive bid, but we're ready to go forward with Kevin Millar, who's a great clubhouse guy" statements.

(I have made similar statements several times, and I'd like to say that if Teixeira DOES come to Baltimore - a move I've been against since the start - I'll be very surprised, and I'll gladly eat a heaping helping of crow on this board. Make sure there's plenty of dujon mustard around, though, because crow can get really gamey.)

We are still in this, but the negotiations seem to be taking on a snail's pace of being completed, but seeing as this is Boras vs. MacPhail/Angelos I'm not surprised.

The one thing I noticed though is the O's lost out on Matt Treanor while engaged in Tex negotiations. Granted that's not a huge loss, but Tex is tying up the FO so they can't make other moves. They've got to wrap this up soon.

They could lose out on some other bigger targets like Kawakami if they don't...

Interesting points, I hadn't thought of the Treanor signing to be a.... sign of that:) How does this rep system work anyway?

To be fair, Treanor's garbage. The only reason I threw his name out there is because of his wife. ;)

As for Tex... well, I'm glad you're still as enthusiastic. However, you have to admit, no one is mentioning us in the media, bigbird thinks we're being played like a fiddle and Belkast... well, perhaps I'm reading too far into things (and Belkast, feel free to correct me if I am) but he just doesn't seem as enthusiastic as he did a few days ago. *sigh*

To be fair, Treanor's garbage. The only reason I threw his name out there is because of his wife. ;)

As for Tex... well, I'm glad you're still as enthusiastic. However, you have to admit, no one is mentioning us in the media, bigbird thinks we're being played like a fiddle and Belkast... well, perhaps I'm reading too far into things (and Belkast, feel free to correct me if I am) but he just doesn't seem as enthusiastic as he did a few days ago. *sigh*

I agree. Stick a fork in us. We're done.

Archived