The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

At this point, it seems like anything & everything has been reported. Personally, my stance hasn't changed much through the last few days. I will admit that I was a little pumped yesterday, but still managed to try to stay on sort of an even keel.

I'm encouraged that we've made it this far, because part of me wasn't convinced we'd really go after him in the first place. But it's obvious we want him. And it should be obvious to the O's that the fans REALLY want him. It's hard to dispute any of that, so I say we still have a fighting chance!

The only way this ends in disappointment from my perspective is if Teix signs with another team for 8/160. I could live with him getting 9/10 years & 200 million from someone else, because at some point rational thinking should enter the picture. We could really put that money to use in other ways. Then again, I guess switch hitting, gold glove, clean-up hitters don't grow on trees.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still optimistic. I just think the negotiations are probably at the point where one party is going to have to blink first. Angelos and AM will try to hold out as long as possible so they don't have to give Tex an extra year/million/opt-out, while Boras will continue shopping Tex to put the pressure on the O's.

The problem with this scenario is that the O's aren't done with their offseason plans yet, and some of the pitching moves are likely contingent upon whether or not Tex is signed (i.e.-Sheets, possibly Kawakami). To bring in a poker analogy, I just think that Boras has more chips than PGA and AM do, even though they're great players themselves.

We now have Tillman because of that strategy.

BB has always thought we won't get Tex, so I wouldn't expect anything different from him. Belkast is getting worn out just like the rest of us IMO. He can only put "I'm optimistic" so many times.

Remember this is Boras vs. MacPhail with no deadline. And these are the two most methodical people in the game.

Somebody is going to blink and give in, we just don't know when.

Just went to SOSH and they seem to be just as much in the dark as we. Remember when we negotiated with Boras for Wieters. People lower on the food chain then PA and AM were sure we weren't signing him. Then at the last minute we did. When we are negotiating wih Boras this has got to be the MO. I have confidence that the wow offer is in the offing, that Boras has an idea of what it is and that if no one else tops it we will get Tex. I doubt Boston wil go that high in years and if the Gnats do I doubt it will be enough to make Tex sign with them.:D

I have been going over all the information that I have received from my guy,

as well as media reports, as well as pm's with other insiders, as well as past information especially from last year. I think that I am going to change my stance. I am less optimistic in the whole Tex sweepstakes.

Don't get me wrong I want the guy. I think our organization needs the guy. I am constantly being told that we will get the guy. But after reviewing everything something is telling me that maybe this isn't a sure thing. Maybe I am being fed some wrong information. I don't know.

I have been extremely excited and optimistic about Tex. This is based on what I have heard but the more I think about it, I am getting excited because I am a fan that wants to see this happen.

The reality check is hitting me while I was reviewing everything. This is reality: I was burned before. I have sometimes not taking my own advice of taking things with a grain of salt when hearing things from my guy. Things change really fast in baseball. I think things get said privattely as well as to the media that is in fact a game in itself. I have strong suspension from the past that some of the information I was receiving was false. I do not know that to be the case with the information I have received about Tex. I do know based on my beliefs it could be.

So, with that said, I want to make perfectly clear to you all that I don't know how I am feeling about Tex right now. I want to be very optimistic still but there has also been lessons learned in the past. So lets just say I have guarded optimism now.

Sorry about the long post. I just felt that I neeeded to share what I was thinking and why I was thinking it. Nothing was said for me to change my stance. Previous lessons are just playing a factor. Hopefully my guy is right and Tex will be an Oriole but I will take his information with a grain of salt.

I really appreciate the honest post Belkast. Still love what you do around here, and while I'm pessimistic on the outcome... I'm still hoping for the best.

We now have Tillman because of that strategy.

That is true in trade negotiations. A team wants your player and they can not get that player on the open market without spending millions. In the case of AM, he is likely playing hardball with a guy who is getting equal if not better offers from other teams. I do not know how much longer this process will continue, but I would rather the guy just complete a deal by now.

as well as media reports, as well as pm's with other insiders, as well as past information especially from last year. I think that I am going to change my stance. I am less optimistic in the whole Tex sweepstakes.

Don't get me wrong I want the guy. I think our organization needs the guy. I am constantly being told that we will get the guy. But after reviewing everything something is telling me that maybe this isn't a sure thing. Maybe I am being fed some wrong information. I don't know.

I have been extremely excited and optimistic about Tex. This is based on what I have heard but the more I think about it, I am getting excited because I am a fan that wants to see this happen.

The reality check is hitting me while I was reviewing everything. This is reality: I was burned before. I have sometimes not taking my own advice of taking things with a grain of salt when hearing things from my guy. Things change really fast in baseball. I think things get said privattely as well as to the media that is in fact a game in itself. I have strong suspension from the past that some of the information I was receiving was false. I do not know that to be the case with the information I have received about Tex. I do know based on my beliefs it could be.

So, with that said, I want to make perfectly clear to you all that I don't know how I am feeling about Tex right now. I want to be very optimistic still but there has also been lessons learned in the past. So lets just say I have guarded optimism now.

Sorry about the long post. I just felt that I neeeded to share what I was thinking and why I was thinking it. Nothing was said for me to change my stance. Previous lessons are just playing a factor. Hopefully my guy is right and Tex will be an Oriole but I will take his information with a grain of salt.

Thats the nature of the beast man.

Just went to SOSH and they seem to be just as much in the dark as we. Remember when we negotiated with Boras for Wieters. People lower on the food chain then PA and AM were sure we weren't signing him. Then at the last minute we did. When we are negotiating wih Boras this has got to be the MO. I have confidence that the wow offer is in the offing, that Boras has an idea of what it is and that if no one else tops it we will get Tex. I doubt Boston wil go that high in years and if the Gnats do I doubt it will be enough to make Tex sign with them.:D

Good comparison. :)

Somebody has too...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The reality check is hitting me while I was reviewing everything. This is reality: I was burned before. I have sometimes not taking my own advice of taking things with a grain of salt when hearing things from my guy. Things change really fast in baseball. I think things get said privattely as well as to the media that is in fact a game in itself. I have strong suspision from the past that some of the information I was receiving was false. I do not know that to be the case with the information I have received about Tex. I do know based on my beliefs it could be.

As Moose Milligan always says, "dagger." :(

That being said, we always enjoy what you bring to the board and we appreciate every kernel of information you throw us. :)

Hopefully, this is all resolved soon.

Somebody has too...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1zsUIosoA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice job my friend. I posted this in the second Tex thread as well. Just wish I still felt that way!

The reality check is hitting me while I was reviewing everything. This is reality: I was burned before. I have sometimes not taking my own advice of taking things with a grain of salt when hearing things from my guy. Things change really fast in baseball. I think things get said privattely as well as to the media that is in fact a game in itself. I have strong suspision from the past that some of the information I was receiving was false. I do not know that to be the case with the information I have received about Tex. I do know based on my beliefs it could be.

Belkast knows what's up.

We are nearly done with a deal, and now, Boras is attempting to ratchet it upwards..

Crap! The BoSox or Yankees came in with a new deal!

...I still believe that we have the last dibs on Teix.

...ha jeez....

Archived