The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Could Boras just be trying to get the Yankees more involved? I would think that if he got them involved in the bidding that things would really get moving in his direction - $$$$$.

As I said before, I just think this is the calm before the storm...

I still don't see the Yankees as a home for Teixeira.

However, with Boras client Manny Ramirez still on the market as well as Tex, I can imagine numerous scenarios in which Boras sees an incentive to operate a three (or four, or more) ring circus keeping multiple teams uncertain about their 2009 roster.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really...the key to everything Belkast said in his post was "nothing was said for me to change my stance".

That means that the info Belkast has gotten is still positive info but that Belkast is getting antsy and not able to figure out what the hold up is, so now he is getting a little more pessimistic...worried that things may be happening that he doesn't know about, so he wants to "tone down" his enthusiasm.

It makes perfect sense. I don't think it means we should be any more worried than we were...It is just something Belkast had to say to make himself feel better and no one should be upset by him wanting to do that.

Exactly, he is just realizing what we have all been starting to realize. If for the last few days it seemed like such a sure thing, why has nothing happened yet. Any rational person would then be led to believe that there is more going on than that one side of the story, even if it ends up being right. Hopefully that made sense.

I still think Tex will happen. However, I am not going to swear by it. Nothing has changed at all with what I have been told. Nothing!!!!! I am just remebering past lessons learned and feel like I need to stay even keeled.

Can you tell us how often you get updates? ie. are you still guardedly optimistic from info from two days ago, or are you being kept in the loop pretty regularly.

I'm not directing this torwards you, just some points you made.

Maybe signing Teixeira isn't what this team should be doing, but they have to do something. If they didn't plan on going ALL in on Tex, then they should have went to Boras, told them their best offer, and moved on. They have spent the entire offseason focusing on Tex, while doing basically nothing else.

Theu signed a stopgap SS, and traded Ramon. Both decent moves, but that's about all I can say about it.

Absolutely no progress has been made in a resolution to the Brob situation. Minimum progress made on a Markakis extension. Nothing has been done to address the starting pitching.

I think this was are biggest fear going into the offseason. Not having a clear direction. Either were going to build to win NOW, or keep the rebuilding going. As of right now, we are stuck in the middle. And this is the same formula that has equaled 11 straight losing seasons. And even with Tex, 12 was gonna be likely. Without him at all, its pretty much a guarantee.

Then you have the snowball effect. Roberts will leave, and Markakis will want out soon to follow. IF Wieters becomes what we hope, it will be Teixeira all over again. It will never end for this team.

I'm with Lex on this one. There's going to be a lot of empty seats at the yard, and I know I won't be filling any of them. If the O's don't care, then why should their fans. And yes, I'm at the breaking point with this team. And I'm getting this, because I've heard MacPhail isn't as well respected by people within the organization as we all think. I guess we'll see.

Do you think the signing of Teixeira is the only way to show the fans the team wants to win? Spend more money on international scouting, player development, and the draft. If you are not going to sign Mark, I understand. The bidding may get ridiculous at some point. You have to show the fans that you are making strides toward making it right. This team has clearly decided to rebuild, but you can rebuild around established peices. 8/85 for Markakis is a bargain and hs is not eligible to leave for another 3 seasons. If he will not extend then trade him for 2 rock star positional prospects. If you have to trade a part then gain 2 in return.

Wild Card would be the Nats only hope over the next decade.

Atlanta isn't going away, neither are the Mets, Florida has at least a five year head start on rebuilding. It will also take several years for the reigning WS Champion Phils to fade away from contention.

The Rays took a decade of top draft picks to climb out of their hole and they didn't have Bowden digging it deeper for them with his trades.

There are good reasons why major league baseball has failed in DC twice before.

I feel for Belkast...will be 100% disgusted with MLB (up from 90%) if a home town player can not make up his mind to go back home...if Tex does not sign with the Os, I cannot muster the enthusiasm to follow this sport...we need a cap...why should a greedy agent and union dictate where a player signs, which is usually in the large market...the only consolation is that we can all root for the have nots such as Tampa Bay, Minnesota, etc, and hate the haves...I am so sick of it all...and I am really sick of seeing Red Sox fans in our park!

Wild Card would be the Nats only hope over the next decade.

Atlanta isn't going away, neither are the Mets, Florida has at least a five year head start on rebuilding. It will also take several years for the reigning WS Champion Phils to fade away from contention.

The Rays took a decade of top draft picks to climb out of their hole and they didn't have Bowden digging it deeper for them with his trades.

There are good reasons why major league baseball has failed in DC twice before.

-Atlanta is definitely going away... They have no pitching, Chipper is getting old and their lineup looks worse than it's been since the 80's.

-Florida is rebuilding but that doesn't mean everything will turn out well. The Marlins do things well by cycling out guys who are over hyped and getting better prospects in return, but the thing about that strategy is that you never know when you strike gold with the right combination of young talent.

-The Mets are aging all over but at least they fixed their biggest hole in the bullpen. They'll probably be competitive for a few more years with this group but they will implode eventually and be forced to rebuild.

-The Phillies are the ones built to stay competitive for a bit if they can just get a little more pitching.

In other words... it's not that bleak for the Nats but it's still a long shot :P

Besides, you can't say they can "only play for the wild card" when Tampa shocked everyone and won the division EVERYONE said was off limits to every team not in Boston or New York.

-Atlanta is definitely going away... They have no pitching, Chipper is getting old and their lineup looks worse than it's been since the 80's.

-Florida is rebuilding but that doesn't mean everything will turn out well. The Marlins do things well by cycling out guys who are over hyped and getting better prospects in return, but the thing about that strategy is that you never know when you strike gold with the right combination of young talent.

-The Mets are aging all over but at least they fixed their biggest hole in the bullpen. They'll probably be competitive for a few more years with this group but they will implode eventually and be forced to rebuild.

-The Phillies are the ones built to stay competitive for a bit if they can just get a little more pitching.

In other words... it's not that bleak for the Nats but it's still a long shot :P

Besides, you can't say they can "only play for the wild card" when Tampa shocked everyone and won the division EVERYONE said was off limits to every team not in Boston or New York.

Atlanta is definitely not going away. Their farm system has two of the top prospects in all of baseball (Heyward and Hanson). Atlanta always has a good farm system and always has money.

So I am thinking Part VI of the thread will likely start tomorrow. Remember Part VI is The Return of the Jedi. Who do you think is going to be the Jedi and what kind of actions will he or she (if for some reason it happens to be someone like Ms. Teixeira or Sheila Dixon) take?

I feel for Belkast...will be 100% disgusted with MLB (up from 90%) if a home town player can not make up his mind to go back home...if Tex does not sign with the Os, I cannot muster the enthusiasm to follow this sport...we need a cap...why should a greedy agent and union dictate where a player signs, which is usually in the large market...the only consolation is that we can all root for the have nots such as Tampa Bay, Minnesota, etc, and hate the haves...I am so sick of it all...and I am really sick of seeing Red Sox fans in our park!

Ok, Ill bite... how would a salary cap have guaranteed Tex would end up in Baltimore? Who is to say the O's wouldnt have been buried in bad contracts they couldnt move when Tex came up for free agency?

Wouldnt that - in general - be conducive to less players playing at home? If a player really wants to play at home he can always take less money. If he goes for the money then we know what was more important to him than playing at home...

Baltimore is as good a baseball city and a big baseball market AND a big revenue team as any - its just been mismanaged for a loooong time.

Ok, Ill bite... how would a salary cap have guaranteed Tex would end up in Baltimore? Who is to say the O's wouldnt have been buried in bad contracts they couldnt move when Tex came up for free agency?

Wouldnt that - in general - be conducive to less players playing at home? If a player really wants to play at home he can always take less money. If he goes for the money then we know what was more important to him than playing at home...

Baltimore is as good a baseball city and a big baseball market AND a big revenue team as any - its just been mismanaged for a loooong time.

I really am not picking on you I am just using your quote as an example. I want Tex to come to baltimore as much as the next guy believe me. I have followed his entire career and have friends who played with him in HS. But who are we as Oriole fans to get on Tex for taking more money to play in Boston or Washington? I would feel a little betrayed if he signed with Washington because what do they have to offer? But if he is offered 10 million more to play in Boston then in Baltimore, I find it hard to believe the majority of the OH community wouldn't take that.

I really am not picking on you I am just using your quote as an example. I want Tex to come to baltimore as much as the next guy believe me. I have followed his entire career and have friends who played with him in HS. But who are we as Oriole fans to get on Tex for taking more money to play in Boston or Washington? I would feel a little betrayed if he signed with Washington because what do they have to offer? But if he is offered 10 million more to play in Boston then in Baltimore, I find it hard to believe the majority of the OH community wouldn't take that.

Uhh... that was my point as well. Did you mean to quote "Earl of Tomato?" :confused:

Do you think the signing of Teixeira is the only way to show the fans the team wants to win? Spend more money on international scouting, player development, and the draft. If you are not going to sign Mark, I understand. The bidding may get ridiculous at some point. You have to show the fans that you are making strides toward making it right. This team has clearly decided to rebuild, but you can rebuild around established peices. 8/85 for Markakis is a bargain and hs is not eligible to leave for another 3 seasons. If he will not extend then trade him for 2 rock star positional prospects. If you have to trade a part then gain 2 in return.

It's not just about the fans. It's also about the players themselves. They know of the interest in Tex. They know that he is a tough bet to sign to a rebuilding team. I just think they would be more comfortable in the direction of the team if Tex were to sign here. They obviously know the team does need pitching, but they can probably be realistic and look at the FA pitchers and realize that we have to deal with a few stopgaps until the prospects are ready.

Archived