The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

I'm hopping at the end of all of this we hear McPhail say "It was like trying to squeeze water out of a rock" in regards to dealing with Boras and finally signing Tex.

I remember him using that line about trying to get a fifth player for Tejada.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through all of the rumors and what not, I keep going back to a couple of things. PA is on record as saying he wants Tex. And Tex has said he would like to play for the Orioles. Whether Belkast info is good or not. That gives me hope that we will sign him. Honestly, it sounds like the Orioles may feel like they have a 50-50 shot at landing him. Until he calls to say I accept your offer, no one knows where his mind is at.

Let's wait to see the deal he signs for, but if it's not really ridiculous, then I am going to take, at least a brief, Orioles vacation.

It's not that TRex is even that huge of a deal for me, because I don't think he'll be worth the money that he is signed for. It's mostly symbolic. If the front office can't go out and get their number 1 target, I don't feel like dealing with them. If the front office can't go out and secure a player that Orioles fan's have been hoping for since he was drafted, I don't feel like dealing with them. Sometimes, you just have to get things done.

"The Red Sox have "some" interest in Peavy, but as of a few days ago the teams had not entertained any substantive trade talks as Padres GM Kevin Towers knew that Boston was not on Peavy's wish list. But now that talks with Atlanta and the Cubs have broken down, Towers needs a new team to deal with and the 27-year-old Peavy, according to his agent, Barry Axelrod, probably would OK a deal to Boston. But if there's a Mark Teixeira splash, the Red Sox might not have the money to entertain it"......This is from Mlb trade rumors. Now, i know its just rumor and very very early discussions, but maybe the Sox are starting to have doubts about landing TEX, and are thinking about switching there focus to pitching.

Anyone know what it would have taken (such as players to trade or future draft picks) at the time of the draft to move up and draft Tex?

thought.... even if we did that we may have done the same thing and traded him away at the deadline for prospects

Through all of the rumors and what not, I keep going back to a couple of things. PA is on record as saying he wants Tex. And Tex has said he would like to play for the Orioles. Whether Belkast info is good or not. That gives me hope that we will sign him. Honestly, it sounds like the Orioles may feel like they have a 50-50 shot at landing him. Until he calls to say I accept your offer, no one knows where his mind is at.

Might have been just his attempt to make it look like the organization would be willing to play ball and go out there and get Teixeira, a no doubt money player.

Anyone know what it would have taken (such as players to trade or future draft picks) at the time of the draft to move up and draft Tex?

thought.... even if we did that we may have done the same thing and traded him away at the deadline for prospects

It would have taken a change of MLB rules.

You can't trade draft picks.

Come on O's.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbyvmfHG4g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbyvmfHG4g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've heard stories that the Rangers GM at the time was willing to NOT draft Tex if the O's traded them Ponson, but we refused... you can't trade draft picks in MLB

I've heard stories that the Rangers GM at the time was willing to NOT draft Tex if the O's traded them Ponson, but we refused... you can't trade draft picks in MLB

Let PA revisit that one. I can hear the screaming all the way up in Bolton Hill from his law offices.

"The Red Sox have "some" interest in Peavy, but as of a few days ago the teams had not entertained any substantive trade talks as Padres GM Kevin Towers knew that Boston was not on Peavy's wish list. But now that talks with Atlanta and the Cubs have broken down, Towers needs a new team to deal with and the 27-year-old Peavy, according to his agent, Barry Axelrod, probably would OK a deal to Boston. But if there's a Mark Teixeira splash, the Red Sox might not have the money to entertain it"......This is from Mlb trade rumors. Now, i know its just rumor and very very early discussions, but maybe the Sox are starting to have doubts about landing TEX, and are thinking about switching there focus to pitching.

The Sox are publically demonstrating to Boras that they are willing to move on to other matters. That could mean they've made their final offer or they are trying to force Boras to make a move, IMO.

However, Kevin Towers kind of raised Theo in the industry with those zebra sheets!

Archived