The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It all comes down to the money. He wants fair market value and he grew up here, he knows PA is cheap.

PGA is not cheap. He's handed out lots of big contracts before. And tons of other big contracts he has tried to hand out (Carlos Lee, Vlad, Konerko, etc). I'm not really sure where the cheap thing comes from in regards to player salary...

Anyone know what it would have taken (such as players to trade or future draft picks) at the time of the draft to move up and draft Tex?

thought.... even if we did that we may have done the same thing and traded him away at the deadline for prospects

If the team had Tex from the beginning, how much better would they have really been?

They still would have needed to find good pitching throughout the years.

I don't wanna be a wet blanket, but you can bet your paycheck that Boras has told each of these teams that they'll have the last shot at this.

If you think he's going to take Boston's best offer, give us a chance to beat it and NOT take it back to Boston... I'm afraid you're being naive.

I doubt this. That would be very bad business if true. If he told Baltimore they would have last chance, Baltimore beats it, and then the next thing they know Tex is going to Boston because he really gave Boston another shot, that would make Boras look very bad. I can't see Boras doing this IMO. I know he's an agent and it's his job to get the best deal, but pretty much lying to a team's face will burn that bridge and I don't think he wants that.

I think that if Boras has indeed told Baltimore they get the last crack, then that's coming from Tex himself.

If you were Manny, how would you feel being over-shadowed by the Tex sweepstakes? No way can a small market team even dream of putting an offer on the table for Manny.

Pay attention to what Cashman and the Yanks do in the next two days, it should be indicative of what is happening with Tex because they seem to be hot for Manny.

Tex goes small market and Manny gets the $55MM for two years?

I doubt this. That would be very bad business if true. If he told Baltimore they would have last chance, Baltimore beats it, and then the next thing they know Tex is going to Boston because he really gave Boston another shot, that would make Boras look very bad. I can't see Boras doing this IMO. I know he's an agent and it's his job to get the best deal, but pretty much lying to a team's face will burn that bridge and I don't think he wants that.

I think that if Boras has indeed told Baltimore they get the last crack, then that's coming from Tex himself.

Boras did not get his reputation because he always acted in good faith.

I think you're overly optimistic about this. I know you're Mr. Anti-ESPN and Mr. Anti-RedSoxAndEverythingYankees, but, come on, man, is there not even a shred of pessimism about this?

BTW, I don't share your (or anyone on this forum's) anti-ESPN nature. I think you guys are living in Gonzoland in thinking that ESPN has a secret agenda against the Orioles.

I don't think ESPN is anti-Orioles, but they are just too pro-yankees and pro-Red Sox. It is annoying. Everything revolves around those two teams.

He's in a situation where his bridges are made from steel (or whatever, some kind of un-burnable material :scratchchinhmm: ) due to his stable of clients.

I don't think ESPN is anti-Orioles, but they are just too pro-yankees and pro-Red Sox. It is annoying. Everything revolves around those two teams.

Large market teams that actually perform. As a media outlet, who wouldn't want to cater to their largest constituents? FWIW, this year when the Rays were tearing it up, they were getting quite the publicity. Win and win often and you'll get your spotlight. Otherwise you're only destined to get a few highlight reels here and there because the team isn't doing anything worthwhile to cater to the masses.

Good post by Roch:

Roch,

Do you think that yesterday's news centering around Baltimore being out of the running for MT could be a Boras press leak to get the club to pony up and wrap it up? I take it as a positive sign that the Orioles were singled out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was talking to someone last night who said it's never good to be the perceived frontrunner with a Boras client. That means you're not getting him. It would work to Orioles advantage for teams to think they're out of it. - Roch

It all comes down to the money. He wants fair market value and he grew up here, he knows PA is cheap.

7 years at north of $21 million per year is not cheap. 7 years at $15 million per year would have been a cheap, lowball offer. The Os did not go that route.

If you think about it, an official offer over $20 million per year is really quite an amazing commitment by the Os, especially when coupled with the fact that they went even further by publicly stating that the offer is "flexible."

7 years at north of $21 million per year is not cheap. 7 years at $15 million per year would have been a cheap, lowball offer. The Os did not go that route.

If you think about it, an official offer over $20 million per year is really quite an amazing commitment by the Os, especially when coupled with the fact that they went even further by publicly stating that the offer is "flexible."

It's not cheap, but in comparison to offers that are $20M - $50M more, the Orioles offer is irrelevant.

Archived