Pie for Christmas?

Jdan14

I agree. BUT, the trade isn't just for Hill. The O's don't really have that room for Pie; or, they can make room, but they have plenty of internal candidates for playing time. I prefer adding Hill to adding Pie. Hill can go straight into the rotation, with no conditions or pressure, and if he busts he busts and the O's finish 5th anyway. Pie blocks Reimold, kills any chance Montanez has of seeing enough playing time to get a real look, and is blocked by Jones at the position he'd be most valuable at.

I'd love to add Hill for cheap, as his value hinges on his price. I don't want to add Hill and Pie for Scott. I don't really want Pie at all.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. BUT, the trade isn't just for Hill. The O's don't really have that room for Pie; or, they can make room, but they have plenty of internal candidates for playing time. I prefer adding Hill to adding Pie. Hill can go straight into the rotation, with no conditions or pressure, and if he busts he busts and the O's finish 5th anyway. Pie blocks Reimold, kills any chance Montanez has of seeing enough playing time to get a real look, and is blocked by Jones at the position he'd be most valuable at.

I'd love to add Hill for cheap, as his value hinges on his price. I don't want to add Hill and Pie for Scott. I don't really want Pie at all.

Pie doesn;t block anyone any more than Scott does.

Pie is here...Reimold can also be here...as a DH.

Reimold can get some corner OF time as well...Sub for Markakis every once in a while...Pie still needs to hit lefties better, so Reimold plays vs tough lefties. Also, when they want to rest Jones, Pie goes to CF and Reimold can play LF.

Montanez is nothing more than a #4 OFer and saying you don't want to take a chance on a much better talent in Pie because of Lou is absurd.

Reimold can get some corner OF time as well...Sub for Markakis every once in a while...Pie still needs to hit lefties better, so Reimold plays vs tough lefties. Also, when they want to rest Jones, Pie goes to CF and Reimold can play LF.

Montanez is nothing more than a #4 OFer and saying you don't want to take a chance on a much better talent in Pie because of Lou is absurd.

But do you see my point? If you're going to trade Scott, why waste him on...another LF! And one whose nebulous upside is as a league average LF?

Completely agree. We need to stock pile young players and see who sticks. That is how you build a winner. I want to see Reimold, Jones and Markakis in the OF but is Reimold ready? Why not have 4 for 5 young out fielders, split time, go with the hot hand, see who is best. I don't see any harm in that.

No, I don't see your point.

It is always good to go for high upside players...I will never be against that.

The upside comes at a cost. Even assuming Scott isn't part of the future, he has a value on the trade market. We have to spend this value wisely because we only have so much of it. I don't think Pie is worth it, upside and risk all taken together. That's my entire argument. You can disagree if you want but I can't see how you can miss my point.

The upside comes at a cost. Even assuming Scott isn't part of the future, he has a value on the trade market. We have to spend this value wisely because we only have so much of it. I don't think Pie is worth it, upside and risk all taken together. That's my entire argument. You can disagree if you want but I can't see how you can miss my point.

Personally, i think you are grossly overrating Scott's trade value and thinking you will get a useful starter and 2 guys with such high upside is a steal for us.

It amazes me that anyone would disagree with that.

Personally, i think you are grossly overrating Scott's trade value and thinking you will get a useful starter and 2 guys with such high upside is a steal for us.

It amazes me that anyone would disagree with that.

What? Where did I say useful starter and 2 guys with such high upside?

I would rather trade Scott for players that might possibly play a meaningful role in the future. Hill goes in that category but his value is close to zero. Pie does not. A couple cost-controlled years of a league average LF is not worth Scott to me!

Middle infield, third base, pitching. Those are our needs. Center field, along with catcher, is the only position where we have a long-term solution in place.* Scott is one of our best and most expendable trade chips. I'd say Guthrie, Roberts, Huff, Scott, Sherrill are our five realistic trade options who could bring back a return that could influence the future of the franchise. I don't see Pie as a sufficient return. Sorry.

*Ignoring RF because an acquired RF could play LF without the huge increase in offensive expectations that goes with the CF to LF transition.

Way to much fantasy league mentality coursing through this thread.

IMO, the power, run-producing combo of Scott and Reimold far outweighs the defensive enhancements a weak-hitting Pie may provide.

You obviously know nothing about fantasy leagues because if you did, you would know that Scott would be the keeper.

And Reimold is still an Oriole in this scenario.

You obviously know nothing about fantasy leagues because if you did, you would know that Scott would be the keeper.

And Reimold is still an Oriole in this scenario.

SG.....why do you think it always has to be about you?

......who, by the way, I wasn't referencing.....:rolleyes:

SG.....why do you think it always has to be about you?

......who, by the way, I wasn't referencing.....:rolleyes:

What are you talking about? I didn't mention myself at all..I didn't make anything about me.

I was just pointing that saying this is fantasy league like is completely wrong.

What are you talking about? I didn't mention myself at all..I didn't make anything about me.

I was just pointing that saying this is fantasy league like is completely wrong.

YOU said I obviously know nothing about fantasy leagues....which is a totally incorrect assumption on your part.

And if you had managed to comprehend the totality of my post, I was actually agreeing with you in that Scott is the keeper.

Archived