Richie Martin could be promoted any day now

wildcard

Martin is on a streak.  In 9 games in May he is hitting 409/480/545/1025.    He is now hitting 282/351/447/798 for the season at AAA.    The O's need better production at 2B and Richie is making a point.   He wants to provide it.

Martin was 20th pick in the first round for the A's in 2015.   He was acquired in the 2018 Rule 5 draft by the O's.   He played all of 2019 in the majors with the O's but his was not ready for the jump from AA to the majors and did not hit well.

He broke one wrist in 2020, another in 2021 with both hamate bones being removed.  Then he ran with a wall playing the outfield and broke his wrist again.   Richie has no more hamate bone to break and he is healthy.

In 2018, the last time he was rated as a prospect,  he had a 60 arm, 60 field, 55 run rating.  His hitting was what needed improvement.  Well, now at 27 year old he is making a point that he can hit and wants a promotion.

He has 85 at bats so far.   Tyler Nevin was promoted after 66 at bats.   The O's have a need at 2B and Martin wants to fill it.  Martin is not on the 40 man roster but there is space.  Let's see what Elias thinks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Martin is RH in a RH heavy lineup. I don't see him taking Odor's spot. I would give Urias at least another 100 AB's before thinking about Martin replacing him. Maybe he takes Owings spot?

Adley is a switch hitter.   He will add to the offensive balance.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I disagree.   Martin can be good if given a chance.   I am not a Bannon fan.

He's been given chances.  He's 27 and he can't hit, and as SG pointed out, while the glove at SS is fine, it's not exceptional.  

Hey, maybe he's a late bloomer and something has clicked, but I'd much rather role with Urias at 2nd, Mateo at SS, and (insert player here) at 3B.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't get why people clamor for Martin.  He's not good.

You may be right. But you may be wrong.  I think Martin's defense will be pretty good. I don't expect him to hit much, but I sure don't know that he won't. Let's find out.

I'm not too concerned about taking ABs away from the IF guys we've got.  I thought a big part of the reason for not signing capable free agent infielders in the off-season, and not focusing on winning this year, was to expand the list of those in the system who will can be given an opportunity that they probably wouldn't get on a good team.