Justin Armbruester 2022

UMDTerrapins

Was nice to get a look at Armbruester tonight. He threw from the stretch full time. He throws pretty hard (93-96), but without much movement. He throws his FB pretty frequently, but I kinda like his changeup. He had no feel for his curve until the 5th inning, and then when he finally found it, he went really heavy with it, particularly as a get-me-over first pitch. He gave up a HR in the 6th to a hitter who was sitting on that curve. He's got size and good control. Unless he shows more with his breaking stuff I see a reliever. Looks like a guy whose fastball/change combination will work at lower levels but be hit harder as he climbs. Love the 4/33 BB/K ratio. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

16/0 K/BB in first 13 AA innings...not bad!!   Yesterday both he and Harvey attained 10 Eastern League IP.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=5&stats=pit&qual=10&type=1&team=all&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Other than Daniel Espino striking out everyone until Gunnar's second look at him, Harvey's micro stint looks about as well as anyone has pitched in the league this year.

Justin's more viable long-term debut "just" 15th out of 227, and in-team K-BB% sees it about the same as Denoyer and Vallimont's nice performances so far.

Justin 10.21.1998 $100k bonus, Denoyer 2.17.1998 (UFA), Vallimont 3.18.1997 $300k bonus (5th round and 2 picks after Robert Neustrom who got same $300k) are the Ages/Pedigrees of some of this year's best Out of Nowhere feel good stories so far.

Come 2025 I'm curious to see how high the mad science of Pitcher Rest pushes middle distance pitchers' share of the 1425 IP pie chart up.   It looks like Orioles Player Development is orienting towards that kind of world.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We certainly have a lot of guys who throw 4 innings well.  

Exactly what I've been thinking.    That's why I said, one or two might be starters but most look like potential multi inning relievers.

• Tony-OH changed the title to Justin Armbruester 2022
  • 1 month later...

Dusty Baker’s son Darren had an 11-pitch AB in the 4th (only one ball thrown) that I thought might prevent him from coming back out in the fifth, but he’d only thrown 10 pitches in the first and 11 in the second.

5IP 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 6K

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:02 PM, justD said:

Dusty Baker’s son Darren had an 11-pitch AB in the 4th (only one ball thrown) that I thought might prevent him from coming back out in the fifth, but he’d only thrown 10 pitches in the first and 11 in the second.

5IP 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 6K

I just had a freak out then reality check.  It seems like just yesterday that my kid was playing Little League baseball out here in California and our team was hosting a regional LL All Star tournament on our field.  Darren Baker was playing on one of those teams.  In fact,  he hit a game- winning homerun in the bottom of the last inning to beat our team and advance. I thought there was no way he is old enough to be playing professionally now.  Time flies. 

• Like 1