Kumar reappears

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

My guess is if he's healthy he doesn't make it until the O's second pick.

I agree with this, this draft in particular is so thin on pitching that if he's healthy and looking anything close to what he was, he's going first round, but probably out of top 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot will depend on how Kumar looks in his independent league action.  I haven't heard that he has pitched in any games.  If he has good results, I could see him going in the mid 1st round.  Poor results and he might be lucky to go as high as late 2nd round, imo.

I would rather the O's pick a top college starter w/ their second pick.  Someone who actually pitched this year or had an injury that is rehabbing well.

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I knew his first start was coming up soon and it looks like he just had it.

Kumar Rocker has promising first start for Tri-City ValleyCats (calltothepen.com)

He lasted for four innings, striking out six while allowing two runs on three hits. After holding Trois-Rivieres Aigles scoreless over the first three innings, he began to tire, allowing a two run homer to former Braves farmhand Carlos Martinez.

However, the outing could be considered an overall positive for Rocker. His fastball sat between 95 and 97 MPH, reaching as high as 99 MPH on the radar gun. His slider showed plenty of life and was in the mid to upper 80s. It was as strong an outing as could have been hoped for.

Kumar Rocker impressive in debut as ValleyCats win (timesunion.com)

Pitching in front of scouts from at least 20 big league teams, Rocker left the game behind 2-0 before the ValleyCats routed the Trois-Rivieres pitching staff.

"I thought he pitched great," Incaviglia said. "For a guy that hadn't pitched in a year, he had good command and I think he made one mistake. He threw a 3-2 slider (to Martinez). Everything else was really good.

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Well at least he showed he still has his velocity.  It's hard to get much info on how good he is from independent league action.  I assume the competition level is somewhat below rookie ball, but with older players. 

Are you saying striking out the Lew Ford's of the baseball world isn't the best indicator of MLB success? 🙂

Rocker was showing good velocity and that's probably the most important thing for now besides not being sore after he pitches.