Monday, May 16: Norfolk Tides take on Yankees at Camden Yards

SteveA

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The 4-9 hitters in the Orioles lineup have the following OPSs:

And the two healthy players on the bench have OPSs of .480 and .481.

That is truly amazing.   Maybe you see something like that a week into the season on a team off to a horrible start, but I have to wonder if it has ever happened with a team 30+ games into the season (paging @DrungoHazewood for some Cleveland Spider history?).

That would be a pretty involved search, trying to find OPSes through May 16th or 30+ games into the season.  Not sure you can do that with Stathead, I'd have to do a bunch of exporting to Excel.  Also, Retrosheet/bb-ref doesn't have box scores and splits going back to the 1800s yet.

The 1910 White Sox finished the year with eight players who had an OPS under .550 in at least 200 PAs. The 1886 Orioles had seven, and they only had nine players get 200 PAs.

The '99 Spiders ended with just one regular with an OPS under .550.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Morgan423 said:

Wow. 

We work really hard to not score in situations that have a historic 85% scoring rate. 🤦‍♂️

Never doubt the Orioles ability to not score runs with runners in scoiring position.

I hate to be so blunt, but at the end of the day, there's a reason why this team has lost histroic amounts of games with the same "core" of veteran players. They lost in the minors and they lose in the majors.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That would be a pretty involved search, trying to find OPSes through May 16th or 30+ games into the season.  Not sure you can do that with Stathead, I'd have to do a bunch of exporting to Excel.  Also, Retrosheet/bb-ref doesn't have box scores and splits going back to the 1800s yet.

The 1910 White Sox finished the year with eight players who had an OPS under .550 in at least 200 PAs. The 1886 Orioles had seven, and they only had nine players get 200 PAs.

The '99 Spiders ended with just one regular with an OPS under .550.

The fact that you’re comparing this lineup against dead ball era teams say all you need to know about the Orioles hitters tonight.