Moves I’d like to see this weekend

connja

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Dean Kremer just threw an immaculate inning in his rehab outing. I know he hasn’t looked good in his brief MLB career, but maybe he surprises this year? 

Ok, probably not.

He’s like Aiken in that if he would just throw strikes and let his stuff play, he’d be successful. His FB has good movement. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What is the time period for this?

Off-season, pre-Rule V, post protecting newly eligibles. I updated it a bit, but I'm sure it's not perfect. 

Pretty Safe (23) - Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall, John Means, Bruce Zimmerman, Kyle Bradish, Tyler Wells, Keegan Akin, Felix Bautista, Jorge Lopez, Cionel Perez, Drew Rom, Mike Baumann, Dillon Tate, Adley Rutschman, Ryan Mountcastle, Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, Joseph Ortiz, Terrin Vavra, Cedric Mullins, Austin Hays, Anthony Santander, Kyle Stowers

Probable (5)  - Bryan Baker, Joey Krehbiel, Logan Gillaspie, Kyle Brnovich, Yusniel Diaz

Even odds (9) - Dean Kremer, Jordan Lyles, Nick Vespi, Marcos Diplan, Zac Lowther, Alex Wells, Jahmai Jones, Rylan Bannon, Ryan McKenna

Chance (6) - Travis Lakins, Beau Sulser, Spenser Watkins, Anthony Bemboom, Robinson Chirinos, Tyler Nevin

Unlikely (5) - Chris Ellis, Trey Mancini, Rougner Odor, Chris Owings, Denyi Reyes

Unprotected Notables - Zach Peek, Kevin Smith, Robert Neustrom, DJ Stewart, Kelvin Gutierrez, Richie Martin, Garrett Stallings, Logan Allen, Misael Deson, Brenan Hanifee, Adam Hall, Cameron Bishop, Easton Lucas, Adam Stauffer

Here is my list:

*mean needs to be added.

Starter: (11) Grayson, DL Hall, Bradish, Tyler Wells, Zimmerman, Means, Smith,  Stallings*, Rom*, Peek* Brnovich*

Relievers:  (11) Bautista,  Lopez, Perez, Tate, Krehbiel, Baker, Akin, Baumann, Vespi, Diplan, Gillaspie

Catchers: (1)Adley

Infielders: (6) Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo, Vavra, Nevin, Martin* (Gunnar, Westburg and Prieto don't need to be added) 

Outfielders:  (8) Mullins, Hays, Santander, Diaz, McKenna, Neustrom*, Stowers*, Adam Hall*  (Diaz is shaky depending on health)

That is 37.

Shed Long is possible

Who I don't have on the list at this point:   Mancini, Lyles, Ellis, Lakins, Lowther, Reyes, Sulser, Watkins, Bemboom, Chirinos, Odor, Owings, Jones, Wells, Bannon, Kremer   ( Have to see more from Reyes  but he is a possible add)

Everything is subject to change.

• Upvote 1

The Preakness is this Saturday. A lot of people will be in town for that but I don’t know if you can capitalize off that crowd because the race starts only 30 mins before the O’s game. If it were an hour or so it would be natural progression I think. However, I think it’s a hinderance to AR’s call up because the city/traffic will be a mess, plus his call up would be over shadowed. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Preakness is this Saturday. A lot of people will be in town for that but I don’t know if you can capitalize off that crowd because the race starts only 30 mins before the O’s game. If it were an hour or so it would be natural progression I think. However, I think it’s a hinderance to AR’s call up because the city/traffic will be a mess, plus his call up would be over shadowed. 

The preakness is in Park Heights.  I would say, very little impact to downtown traffic.  Nonetheless, Rich Strike isn't running.  Far less excitement. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I think we find out after the game today that Adley is up. 

We certainly should.  They play at 7:00 tonight, so if he’s in that lineup, he won’t be up this weekend.  I’m guessing they don’t bring him Up on a Saturday or Sunday.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think so too, but I’m prepared to be disappointed.   

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We certainly should.  They play at 7:00 tonight, so if he’s in that lineup, he won’t be up this weekend.  I’m guessing they don’t bring him Up on a Saturday or Sunday.

With the Orioles playing early today it just makes all the sense in the world. Game gets over around 3:30/4. Elias makes an announcement. Gives fans more time to buy tickets for tomorrow and weekend. People know before they go to bed tonight. 

That said who the heck knows. I’ve been saying May 20 for awhile and I’m going to stick with it.  

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is my list:

*mean needs to be added.

Starter: (11) Grayson, DL Hall, Bradish, Tyler Wells, Zimmerman, Means, Smith,  Stallings*, Rom*, Peek* Brnovich*

Relievers:  (12) Bautista,  Lopez, Perez, Tate, Krehbiel, Baker, Akin, Baumann, Vespi, Diplan, Gillaspie, Ryan Watson*

Catchers: (1)Adley

Infielders: (6) Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo, Vavra, Nevin, Martin* (Gunnar, Westburg and Prieto don't need to be added) 

Outfielders:  (8) Mullins, Hays, Santander, Diaz, McKenna, Neustrom*, Stowers*, Adam Hall*  (Diaz is shaky depending on health)

That is 38.

Shed Long is possible

Who I don't have on the list at this point:   Mancini, Lyles, Ellis, Lakins, Lowther, Reyes, Sulser, Watkins, Bemboom, Chirinos, Odor, Owings, Jones, Wells, Bannon, Kremer   ( Have to see more from Reyes  but he is a possible add)

Everything is subject to change.

It’s an interesting exercise. Pretending that’s the roster before Rule V, that leaves one spot for the draft, and another for a backup catcher. So essentially that roster would be full with no space for additions w/out DFAs. I notice Ryan Watson, but he doesn’t need protecting this off-season. I have hope for Kremer, but that’s not the point. The point is that when we add the newly eligibles and fill out the roster for 2023, we’re going to start feeling a squeeze and start exposing players we don’t want to, or make some trades like SG mentioned. Particularly if we’re adding names that don’t otherwise need protecting like Henderson, Westburg, Prieto, Uvila, etc. And there is no chance Elias doesn’t make more waiver pickups. 

42 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

The preakness is in Park Heights.  I would say, very little impact to downtown traffic.  Nonetheless, Rich Strike isn't running.  Far less excitement. 

No chance at a Triple Crown like you said is huge. I’ve been to Orioles games same day as Preakness. Seems like the attendance was always good and no traffic issues. 

• Upvote 1

Players that need to be on the 40 man before next rule 5 that aren't on right now:

• Adley
  • Stowers
  • Rizer
  • GRod
  • Brnovich
  • Handley
  • Daschbach
  • Welk
  • Z Watson
  • Fontana
  • Rom
  • Stallings
  • Peek
  • McLarty
  • Denoyer
  • Lucas
  • McSweeney
  • Burch
  • Ortiz

Of those, Adley, Stowers, Rom and GRod are the obvious adds.  Peek, Ortiz and Stallings are potentials.  Brnovich would have been but after this TJ surgery, I tend to doubt it.  Handley is possible if he starts to hit.

Free agents on current 40 man:

• Owings
  • Odor
  • Mancini (have a mutual option)
  • Chirinos
  • Lyles (have option)

Arb eligible:

• Santander- Arb 3 of 4
  • Means- Arb 2 of 3
  • Lopez: Arb 2 of 3
  • Benboom: Arb 1 of 3
  • Mullins: Arb 1 of 3
  • Hays: Arb 1 of 3
  • Tate: Arb 1 of 3
  • Mateo: Arb 1 of 3

Spotrac, who I don't love, is showing us owing Davis about 9.2M in 2023.  Cobb and ODay are 5.5M.  If that's true, we are looking at roughly 14.7M owed to players no longer here.  For the moment, let's assume that the Orioles don't trade any of the key arb guys but do not bring back Lyles or Mancini.  I would say for those arb eligible players (I am taking off Benboom), that will be about 25M in salaries, give or take.  So, that will push the payroll to about 40M.

Mancini would be 10M and Lyles would be 11.  

Of the current 40 man roster, of those names I have not mentioned, these are the most likely to go:

• Diplan
  • Ellis (on 60 day)
  • Lakins
  • Reyes
  • Sulser
  • Watkins
  • Bannon
  • Jones

All of them could be cut and it won't matter..in fact, a lot of them probably will be cut before the season ends.

Those on the 40 man who have a lot to do to keep that spot:

• Gillaspie
  • Kremer
  • Lowther
  • A Wells
  • Nevin
  • Diaz 

Players performing now but could easily be DFA'ed in a month:

• Perez
  • Kreihbel
  • Baker

So, I think we are still in position where a lot of 40 man spots could easily be available and there aren't a ton of MUST ADDS. The current situation isn't too bad but it won't be long before it becomes an issue.

• Upvote 2