Moves I’d like to see this weekend

connja

By the way, as excited as I am to watch Adley play in the majors, I’m equally happy that I won’t have to read anymore tired jokes about how he’ll be brought up in 2023, or more hilarious, 2024, or even funnier than that, 2025.   There’s only so many variations of a joke I can stand.  

Of course, now people will just be telling these hilarious jokes about Grayson, or DL, or Gunnar, or whoever.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, as excited as I am to watch Adley play in the majors, I’m equally happy that I won’t have to read anymore tired jokes about how he’ll be brought up in 2023, or more hilarious, 2024, or even funnier than that, 2025.   There’s only so many variations of a joke I can stand.  

Of course, now people will just be telling these hilarious jokes about Grayson, or DL, or Gunnar, or whoever.  

I hear it will be 2026 before Kjerstad even gets into a game.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wtf?  They sent Vespi back down?  Heavens forbid you actually keep a kid up and let him be good and gain experience.  FFS this organization is maddening even on a day they do something great.

Pitching staffs today are seven keepers and seven platoons.   This is what competing is like.   Vespi's pitch data will accrue all summer and next year and if he pitches his way off the shuttle that'll be great, but no way are you competing your best with the Tampa Bay Rays tonight if he's on the 26-man roster.    Vespi and Gillaspie are passing the baton to rested Baumann.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wtf?  They sent Vespi back down?  Heavens forbid you actually keep a kid up and let him be good and gain experience.  FFS this organization is maddening even on a day they do something great.

All part of the New Cruelty. Even though I'm not in Baltimore, i fear the Gods will not save me. The sheer weight of expectations AR's call-up lends to this point and time, soon to be followed(?) by Rodriguez and Hall, gives me an eggs and basket feeling. The collective psyche of Oriole Fan is resting on this turn of events, and should these 3 baby birds not do well (wood knocking sound), I'll need new Bose noise cancelling earphones to drown out the angst from a subset of the posters on this board. Godspeed AR. (And bring Vespi back up, WTH)

On 5/19/2022 at 7:08 AM, Sports Guy said:

Of those, Adley, Stowers, Rom and GRod are the obvious adds.  Peek, Ortiz and Stallings are potentials.  Brnovich would have been but after this TJ surgery, I tend to doubt it.  Handley is possible if he starts to hit.

Starting this off as a big Stanford Fan and thus fan of Stowers, Daschbach, and Handley.  Biased in favor of Handley especially with time at Stanford and my son being a big follower of his. 

We were looking at the Individual Statistics on the Bowie page today and a few things got our attention...  Handley started the year 1-25 or 0.040 in his first 8 games over 2.5 weeks.  Now the last 30 days he is slashing .302/.380/.442 in 13G/43AB w/ 5 BB/5K.  The last 15 days he is slashing .370/.419/.556 in 8G/27AB w/ 3BB/2K.  Last 7 days slashing .462/.500/.769 in 4G/13AB w/ 2BB/1K  (He DH'd two games at end of last series).

36 games into the season.  Henderson and Westburg have played in 36 of 37 games and have batted in top 4 getting them 160 and 159 plate appearances.  Then Ortiz (33/140), Haskin (32/136) and Watson 33/130).  With Henderson, Westburg, and Haskins being picked in the top early rounds (picks 42, 30, and 39 respectively) their G/PA are easily justified.  Handley has the LEAST amount of Plate Appearances of the position players currently with Baysox at only 80.

Handley seems to be doing what he can after not getting any playing time in Spring Training as I believe he was the "Just in Case" player on the Major league roster all spring training and not getting any 'real' minor league games.  Now he is batting the bottom of the line up every other day but this past weekend.  

So he has started to hit but will he be given the time to continue to hit?

Meanwhile...  Adley has gotten his deserved call up to play with Chirinos (38) resulting in Bemboom (32)  being DFA'd while at AAA Cumberland (27) is Injured (hammy or ankle?) has had a couple 3 hit games to boost his average this year and has thrown out 4 of 16:  Nottingham (27)  had a good April after not making the MLB club but has cooled in May with a nice 3 hit performance last game bumping his numbers up 43 pts to 0.283 and throwing out 2 of 7.  Leaving 32 year old Beau Taylor a late Spring training addition batting 0.115 in 26 AAA ABs while spending most of his time on the Travel Squad.  He was 1-7 (.143) in April and so far 2-19 (.105) in May and has yet to throw out a runner. 

As the limited pick offs to first base and pitch clock continue to impact the stolen bases and caught stealing, Handley's defense seems to be where it should be.  My son said he hasn't had a chance to even throw down on 1/2 of the stolen bases against him.

Our lingering questions are will Handley get enough time to get the attention of other teams for the Minor League Rule 5 draft?  Will the Orioles move him to AAA at the end of the season (or sooner).  Will they trade him?  Angels seem like they could use the depth and potential without a standout catcher in their system like Rutschman.

Should be interesting and we will keep rooting for him.  I explain to my son that Minor League baseball is a grind and it takes a lot of internal fortitude to continue to chase the dream when things don't get challenging.

• Thanks 1

Akin starting in the DH. Hasn’t pitched since Tuesday.

Give Hyde some fresh BP arms from the 40 man. Not too many options with injuries. Vespi and Reyes. Only Kremer, Baumann, Lowther, and Vallimont, are the others on the 40 man. 

GR up for Tuesday. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

GR up for Tuesday. 

GR up for Tuesday on three days rest after throwing 88 pitches last night? Can't see that happening. I'd think Bradish would come back on Tuesday after going less than two innings before GR on Tuesday. Then GR could take his normal turn on Wednesday. But who knows with Elias in charge.

11 minutes ago, hutchead said:

GR up for Tuesday on three days rest after throwing 88 pitches last night? Can't see that happening. I'd think Bradish would come back on Tuesday after going less than two innings before GR on Tuesday. Then GR could take his normal turn on Wednesday. But who knows with Elias in charge.

I meant Weds.