Could the new Camden Canyon in left field affect the #1 selection

Let's face it, it's a lot harder for right handed hitters to hit home runs than left-handed hitters in Camden Yards now with Elias's Baltimore Monster wall deep in left. CF Druw Jones is highly considered the best prospect but hits right-handed, but the best high ceiling left-handed hitter seems to be SS Jackson Holliday. I can't see Elias taking Termarr Johnson even though he may be the best polished hitter overall, but Elias like those big EVs.

Could Elias take Holliday, save a little cash, but get a guy who better fits into the stadium? 

All three of his 1st round picks bat from the left side (one SH).   He does seem to have an affinity for that side.   Of course, you've got Lee and Berry in college who both SH, Holliday (SH), and Termarr.    Jones and Green are the only straight RH batters that are rated in the top 6-7.

My opinion is, Jones will be a plus-plus defensive CF and a good not great bat, regardless of where the wall is.   I don’t think the wall will influence Elias’ decision much if at all.  I think the value Elias puts on Jones’ defensive capabilities will decide whether he goes 1-1.   Not that his hitting isn’t important, but great defense in CF puts a floor on Jones that’s quite high.   

• Upvote 1

It could.

Jones/Green’s speed plays in the Canyon too.  Covering OF ground and taking the extra base on the base path.

I’m still cautious of helium behind Holliday’s late rise.  Passing on the high upside HS SS is always tough though.

21 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think the flip side is that having a stud CF plays well in a cavernous OF. Having two guys who could credibly play CF is even better.

I just want to point out that CF in OPACY is not “cavernous.”   It’s dimensions are same as before, and if anything, still a little cozy. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I just want to point out that CF in OPACY is not “cavernous.”   It’s dimensions are same as before, and if anything, still a little cozy. 

I was moreso referring to what we now have in LF. Provides greater opportunity to play two CF-capable OF, similar to what Red Sox do with their CF and RF.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, Frobby said:

My opinion is, Jones will be a plus-plus defensive CF and a good not great bat, regardless of where the wall is.   I don’t think the wall will influence Elias’ decision much if at all.  I think the value Elias puts on Jones’ defensive capabilities will decide whether he goes 1-1.   Not that his hitting isn’t important, but great defense in CF puts a floor on Jones that’s quite high.   

Sounds like Jason Heyward. 

I hope ballpark dimensions don't change the plan of selecting BPA. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't sure where you stood.  For some reason a lot of folks look at Heyward like he's a bust.

Certainly not a bust, but he did hit some kind of wall offensively after signing with Chicago 

I think the question I have to ask myself is should Elias adjust his draft plans to his stadium or the ones the players will generally play more baseball in?

I think that answer has to be yes. These players all have statistical inputs and it's possible that the projected outputs change significantly for an offensive profile like Jones in the new Camden Yards. We'd be foolish to ignore that just because Jones would be the clear #1 choice for a lot of other teams, right?