Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

Quite frankly, if he hits like a mother****er, frames pitches well, blocks balls in the dirt, calls a good game, builds a great rapport with his pitchers, I really don't care if he's subpar at nailing baserunners.

Maybe I'd feel different about that if this were the 80s, a different era where the running game was more prevalent.  And maybe (this is just a feeling, and I am too lazy to look this up) I get the feeling that the running game is coming back a little bit, certainly not to the Rickey/Raines/Coleman extent, but I think that stolen base attempts have picked up a bit.  

Anyway, if that's the one hole in his game, I'm not terribly upset about it.  

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Wieters but fleeter?

27.3 ft/sec sprint time, slightly above major league average at all positions but 10th among 73 catchers.   Chirinos on the other hand is 70th at 23.5.    Home to 1B Adley is third among catchers at 4.33.

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quite frankly, if he hits like a mother****er, frames pitches well, blocks balls in the dirt, calls a good game, builds a great rapport with his pitchers, I really don't care if he's subpar at nailing baserunners.

Maybe I'd feel different about that if this were the 80s, a different era where the running game was more prevalent.  And maybe (this is just a feeling, and I am too lazy to look this up) I get the feeling that the running game is coming back a little bit, certainly not to the Rickey/Raines/Coleman extent, but I think that stolen base attempts have picked up a bit.  

Anyway, if that's the one hole in his game, I'm not terribly upset about it.  

He’s started 32 games at C, so 15 steal attempts is not a lot.   And like any catcher, sometimes the pitcher makes it impossible to catch the runner.  Lyles did that a couple of times the other day.   Saying that, for the most part Adley’s throws have not been good.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s started 32 games at C, so 15 steal attempts is not a lot.   And like any catcher, sometimes the pitcher makes it impossible to catch the runner.  Lyles did that a couple of times the other day.   Saying that, for the most part Adley’s throws have not been good.  

No, they've been pretty awful.  But like I said, I ain't worried.

At some point it would be cool if he started hitting a bit for average though. I’m sure it will come but it’s a good data point for what may happen with the Norfolk gang when they come up - def not plug and play yo replace Mancini or Santander’s production…or Odor for that matter.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

He got fleeced twice tonight, would have needed a 9-iron on both called strike 3's. He has a fantastic approach and eye at the plate, impressive to watch.

He really does.  I'm wondering if a result of having such a great approach and a great eye will result in a lot of called strike threes moving forward.  

It's the Ted Williams (for you reading comprehension challenged folks, I am NOT comparing Adley to Ted Williams) where he'd get the benefit of the doubt from umpires when he took a close pitch.  The great hitters, as the anecdotes and legends go, get the benefit of the doubt from umpires as to whether or not a close pitch was a strike. 

If Adley asserts himself into a beast hitter, he might have that luxury one day.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He really does.  I'm wondering if a result of having such a great approach and a great eye will result in a lot of called strike threes moving forward.  

It's the Ted Williams (for you reading comprehension challenged folks, I am NOT comparing Adley to Ted Williams) where he'd get the benefit of the doubt from umpires when he took a close pitch.  The great hitters, as the anecdotes and legends go, get the benefit of the doubt from umpires as to whether or not a close pitch was a strike. 

If Adley asserts himself into a beast hitter, he might have that luxury one day.  

If I recall correctly, Nick used to have this problem too and finally won the umps' respect. Or am I confusing him with someone else?