Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He's been on the team for 95 games, and there are 27 left to play.   At that pace, he'd finish at 5.4 rWAR.  I wonder how many of the six rookie catchers mentioned above did that?  Piazza certainly did (7.0).  

And Piazza played in 149 games en route to 7.0 versus Rutschman has had 4.2 over 95…

Therefore, if my math is correct, if Rutschman had been up the full season and could’ve sustained this over the 149 games…he’d have finished with 6.58.

Not quite there, but still incredible.

19 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

And Piazza played in 149 games en route to 7.0 versus Rutschman has had 4.2 over 95…

Therefore, if my math is correct, if Rutschman had been up the full season and could’ve sustained this over the 149 games…he’d have finished with 6.58.

Not quite there, but still incredible.

You could even look at it differently than that.  The 95 games is the number the team has played in since Adley joined them, not the number Adley has played.  So if you just project Adley out to 162 games played for the team, he'd be at 7.16, while playing in 148 of the team's 162 games.  

Of course, Piazza didn't have the luxury of playing DH.   Of his 149 games, 141 were starts at catcher.   The others were games where he came in as a pinch-hitter and/or defensive sub.

Still, it's fun to think that Adley could be in 7 WAR territory next year if he stays healthy and plays as well as he has this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thread title should be changed to "Adley is the Show."

People say Henderson is more talented, I suppose its because he's a middle infielder.  That's fine, I still think Adley's better so far.

To me, Henderson looks more like a more complete overall player.

But what Adley is good at, he’s really good at and that may be enough to where he’s the better player.

Glad we have both.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I mean I agree that Henderson probably has all 5 tools.  At least more of a 5 tool skill set than what Adley has.

Well, I think there's an interesting way to look at that.

Certainly Gunnar is faster than Adley, but I'd be willing to wager that Adley was faster than the avg catcher than Gunnar is faster than the avg SS.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thread title should be changed to "Adley is the Show."

People say Henderson is more talented, I suppose its because he's a middle infielder.  That's fine, I still think Adley's better so far.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To me, Henderson looks more like a more complete overall player.

But what Adley is good at, he’s really good at and that may be enough to where he’s the better player.

Glad we have both.

It's really apples and oranges.   First of all, we've had 95 games to watch Adley, and a week to look at Gunnar.  I need to see a lot more of Gunnar to really make an evaluation.  But right now, I'd say Gunnar has more offensive upside.   He's three years younger and is just scratching the surface of how good he can  be.

We've had debates before about whether C or SS is the more important defensive position.  They're both pretty damned important.  But, having watched him for 95 games, I think Adley's defensive impact is pretty huge and I don't think Gunnar can match it.  

Anyway, it's kind of like having Johnny Bench and Cal Ripken on your team.  Which one is better is almost irrelevant.   It's a hell of a foundation on which to build a team.

• Upvote 2

Starting to get his name into some fun league-wide Top Tens.    Couple of interesting AL Bats fish between him and Julio if he can catch the top rookie.

WAR Position Players
1. Judge  NYY 8.4
2. Gimenez  CLE 5.7
3. Bogaerts  BOS 5.4
4. Ramirez  CLE 5.1
5. Alvarez  HOU 5.0
6. Rodriguez  SEA 4.8
7. Tucker  HOU 4.6
8. Trout  LAA 4.6
9. Rutschman  BAL 4.2
10. Altuve  HOU 4.2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

That is an insane stat

It’s one of those random things sportswriters come up with.  I didn’t know “first 89 games” was a significant interval.  I didn’t know 40 XBH and 50 BB were memorable milestones.   

That said, there’s no question Rutschman has been impressive.