MacPhail: Savior or not?

TJ Wrangler

I understand that MacPhail has done good for the organization, which is why I specified that I was shocked to hear this. I still think we are better off, and I did point out that I wasn't sure if they were just on bad terms, or if this stuff is, in fact, at least partially true.

Hope you did not feel I was busting your chops because I was not. I was pretty much trying to support you.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough. I met you halfway and edited some of the worse language out.

I don't see the problem with it. If anything, it could serve as a nice wake up call to people who want to live in lala land and think everything is great under MacPhail. I thought it would be beneficial to hear some other opinions.

I dont think even the biggest homer would think "everything is great" right now considering we are still years away from contending.

As far as the kid being 19, doesn't matter. His source could be a family member or something, you never know.

Correct. My father is the one with the source. I just pass on what I hear from him, which comes directly from the source. Thank you for taking the time to not have a knee jerk reaction.

I've stated this multiple times, and yet people still feel the need to pick at it.

Take this for what its worth.

I was talking to my father earlier about the direction this organization is going, and I brought up that I thought we were better off under MacPhail, when I received some shocking news.

According to my guy, who has dealt with MacPhail directly this offseason, MacPhail is one of the biggest jerks he has ever dealt with. I was told that in terms of baseball knowledge, MacPhail is not exceptionally bright, and the reason he is so exceptionally slow is because he lacks the top end baseball knowledge to make swift and decisive moves. I was also told that it is more of the same with Angelos running the warehouse, and MacPhail is not as free as we would like to believe. I was told the reason we don't hear about Angelos so much is because MacPhail surrounds himself with people who won't leak to the press, and is quick to get rid of people who think about going to the press. On the Krivsky hiring, I was told that it was more of a cover his weaknesses type move to compensate for lack of knowledge. This guy has also dealt with Krivsky, and apparently he has more baseball sense than MacPhail. I was also told that a lot of MacPhail's respect around the league comes from his father, and that MacPhail has ridden his father's coattails well. Ultimately, Angelos does trust him, but I was told it was more along the lines of them being similar thinkers and that Angelos trusts him more to make moves that he would agree to. When I pointed out that MacPhail has a fairly successful track record, it was pointed out that every team that had him ultimately got rid of him for someone less known who did even better.

All that said, I gathered that MacPhail does surround himself with smarter baseball people, and I still believe we're better off with him than Flannigan and Duquette. Remember that my source is outside of the organization, so he and MacPhail could just be on bad terms, and I have no idea how the warehouse runs day in and day out. I'm hoping Bigbird could chime in, as his source is fairly critical of MacPhail too. I'd also be interested to see if any of our Cubs fans could support or refute this.

I realize this will not be the most popular news, but keep in mind that it is just one person's opinion after dealing with him for so long. Any thoughts?

Regardless of whether it's because PJA gives him more freedom or not, is there really any question that the O's organization is better off today than it was under the prior management teams? And most of this was accomplished without Krivsky.

Honestly, I'd be surprised that someone who is "well respected in his field" would talk like this about a colleague to his wife or best friend

You do know that people are allowed to have opinions of people outside their official on the job smile polite stance. I'm sure you've bashed someone to one of your close friends.

You do know that people are allowed to have opinions of people outside their official on the job smile polite stance. I'm sure you've bashed someone to one of your close friends.

Problem is, we dont know if your source is a rival GM, an agent, someone in the O's front office, or a doorman or limo driver. You say people are picking at you, but you're throwing out some major criticism here

Honestly, not like that. Especially if I thought it would get leaked to others (including THEIR potentially indiscreet family members).

It potentially puts you in a position of negotiating (or other) weakness down the line. Which isn't worth the momentary venting.

So, I'm curious -

Did the source use that sort of language / tone with your father and your father in turn with you? Or, were you and/or your father embellishing on the language / tone for effect?

You may not even know the original sources tone, but I'm just curious. I've increased the volume with stories that I found surprising in order to make them more jarring to the receiver. I think we all do that at times. Hyperbole is a tricky tool. You don't have to answer if you don't want to do so. Again, just curious

What I posted was a direct quote from my father, who I assumed to be passing on what the source said. The general feelings are that of the source, but I can't confirm what the source said to him. I just took my father's word as truth.

Ultimately, Angelos does trust him, but I was told it was more along the lines of them being similar thinkers and that Angelos trusts him more to make moves that he would agree to.

This is key. Angelos actually trusts a baseball person again. I don't care if MacPhail is a pain to deal with or isn't the brightest baseball mind out there.

For things to get done Angelos and the Baseball Ops need to be in constant communication, and it seems we finally have that, so decisions while slow to be made because of MacPhails metholodogical nature, can actually be made without having to wait for Peter Angelos to sign off. It was the waiting that killed us in the past.

This is key. Angelos actually trusts a baseball person again. I don't care if MacPhail is a pain to deal with or isn't the brightest baseball mind out there.

For things to get done Angelos and the Baseball Ops need to be in constant communication, and it seems we finally have that, so decisions while slow to be made because of MacPhails metholodogical nature, can actually be made without having to wait for Peter Angelos to sign off. It was the waiting that killed us in the past.

I agree, this is huge in my opinion.

Archived