Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?

Frobby

Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/22 at 15:44

Yes it should be retired and yes PA is being a baby about it.

Was Murray anymore worthy of getting his jersey retired than Moose?

Now, if you want to simply say, Moose didn’t wear an Os hat when he went into the HOF and that’s your standard, so be it.  That said, they wouldn’t have retired it anyway.

Either way, Olney looks stupid here.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes it should be retired and yes PA is being a baby about it.

Was Murray anymore worthy of getting his jersey retired than Moose?

Now, if you want to simply say, Moose didn’t wear an Os hat when he went into the HOF and that’s your standard, so be it.  That said, they wouldn’t have retired it anyway.

Either way, Olney looks stupid here.

Murray played more seasons with the O's, had just one really great season outside of Baltimore, did not go to a division rival, and even came back to the O's for a last hurrah in '96. If you care about any of those things, yeah, he is more deserving. 

• Upvote 4

I could not care less about Mike Mussina's #35. Certainly not while it occupies the body of Adley Rutschman, are you kidding? Buster is such an obviously and embarrassingly biased/butt-hurt hack of a writer. I didn't even remember that #35 was Mussina's. It was a million years ago and it was a million MORE years that he was a Yankee. WHO CARES

Yes, I think arguably the greatest starting pitcher our team has ever had (second best at worst) should have his number retired.  

It's Angelos's fault that he left for not extending him when we had the chance and if he had stayed he would have finished the second half of career just playing for a bunch of losing teams, so can't really fault the decision. 

My guess is Mussina is contently coaching small town high school basketball and never reengages meaningfully with the game, but it occurs to me from time to time that I'd bet as an arising Yalie and college pitcher, young Mike Elias seriously loved him some Mike Mussina.

It likely needs new ownership, but some spring Mussina chit-chatting with Grayson as a guest instructor gets about a 4 out of 10 on the Eddie-Adley scale.

I don’t really care that moose left. It was the right decision.  Had the Os done what they should have, he would have stayed.  

I care about how he conducted himself for the organization and how good he was.  Like Murray, he didn’t play his whole career here but unlike Murray, he chose to not wear the cap into the HOF.  If that is the standard the Os choose to have, that’s fine.  Every team does it differently and it’s their choice on how they do it.

In terms of greatness though, he clearly should have it retired.  There is an argument that he has better here for his stretch of time than Palmer was for as similar stretch of time.  Moose also obviously pitched in a tougher era as well.

I don’t really care at the end of the day.  What is odd about all of this is how Buster is reacting.  He’s become Skip Bayless.

• Upvote 1

By the way, the Mariners have an interesting comparable situation. Randy Johnson's number was retired by the D-backs despite spending 10 seasons in SEA vs 6 in ARI. Ichiro then took his number, so if they retire Ichiro they will be permanently closing the door on Johnson so a lot of M's fans are calling for them to be double retired. If Rutschman goes on to a big career with the Orioles you could get a similar situation. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really care that moose left. It was the right decision.  Had the Os done what they should have, he would have stayed.  

I care about how he conducted himself for the organization and how good he was.  Like Murray, he didn’t play his whole career here but unlike Murray, he chose to not wear the cap into the HOF.  If that is the standard the Os choose to have, that’s fine.  Every team does it differently and it’s their choice on how they do it.

In terms of greatness though, he clearly should have it retired.  There is an argument that he has better here for his stretch of time than Palmer was for as similar stretch of time.  Moose also obviously pitched in a tougher era as well.

I don’t really care at the end of the day.  What is odd about all of this is how Buster is reacting.  He’s become Skip Bayless.

I know it’s become cool to say they never watch ESPN other than live sports but that is me 100%. The whole network is a dumpster fire. 

• Upvote 1

I'd like to change my vote to no.

Totally respect Mussina. Understand he wasn't all that likable. Completely blame Angelos for letting him go.

Still, number retirements are for all time, no doubters. As great as he was, being ~50% Yankee, no WS, no Cy Youngs with us, I'm thinking O's HoF is what I should support, not number retired.

• Upvote 1