DCab Stays Close. Signs One Year With Nationals

Elon Os Fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arbitration and the realization that he's not a pitcher who wins games. I mean, he may pick up a win every now and then, but it's offset by the fact that for every game he wins, there are two games he completely takes us out of the game and wastes our bullpen.

But who are we replacing him with who does win games? Tim Redding? Braden Looper?

Because, (and I'm not looking at their stats, I'm too lazy right now) that those two aren't going to lead the league in walks.

They might not have the raw stuff that he has, but they're not putting batters on base at an unnecessary rate.

But ultimately, he is going to be a 5ish ERA pitcher with 200 IP...At least he has some upside...These guys don't.

I had hoped that AM wouldn't be lazy when it came to acquiring pitching...That is one of the reasons I was fine with DCab being cut...But if he is just going to sign someone who will ultimately serve the same role, I don't see the sense in letting him go.

But who are we replacing him with who does win games? Tim Redding? Braden Looper?

Either would be inexpensive and short term space fillers. I don't like either really though. But both will keep us in games because they have control. Throw out the potential "wow" factor with a guy like Cabrera, and you realize that a far inferior talent like Waters, Redding or Looper will put you in a better chance to win. And with Liz and Olson to be joined by many other young starters in the next two years, we need guys who can save our bullpen. Cabrera doesn't help give any reliability, and wow did his stuff tail off last year. That young arm now has a lot of mileage on it. And his delivery was high impact.

Cabrera's stuff did tail off, and I realize he probably wasn't going to amount to much in the long run, but we knew what we were getting with him, how he would do here in the AL East, and I still think he has some upside. I just think it's a neutral move to bring in someone like Redding or Looper. I hope we're still in on Uehara.

Cabrera's stuff did tail off, and I realize he probably wasn't going to amount to much in the long run, but we knew what we were getting with him, how he would do here in the AL East, and I still think he has some upside. I just think it's a neutral move to bring in someone like Redding or Looper. I hope we're still in on Uehara.

I agree. I'd like to see more potential than what we'll probably get. As for DC, I think it's also a "change of scenery" move that both sides will benefit from.

But ultimately, he is going to be a 5ish ERA pitcher with 200 IP...At least he has some upside...These guys don't.

I had hoped that AM wouldn't be lazy when it came to acquiring pitching...That is one of the reasons I was fine with DCab being cut...But if he is just going to sign someone who will ultimately serve the same role, I don't see the sense in letting him go.

Well Looper's career ERA is better than league average. Not by much, but it is. Granted, he hasn't pitched in the AL, or even the AL East. I'm curious if anyone has done studies based on how pitchers fare in other divisions before or after coming to ours.

I agree, Redding would be the worse of the two.

But at the end of the day, I think we could both agree that CaBBrera wasn't fitting into our long term plans. He hadn't improved during his time here (arguably, he got worse).

Its a simplistic and not very scientific way of looking at things, but there are franchises that we look to as "models" for us to follow to build our team. Among them, Tampa, Oakland, Sox...the usual suspects.

When it comes to player evaluation, one of the questions I ask is would CaBBrera be the type of guy the Sox would go after? Would Beane want him? What about Tampa?

And it's a resounding "No." But a crap organization like the Nats snatched him right up, which to me speaks volumes as to how he's perceived and the state of respective franchises.

Now you can argue that we might have gotten rid of him too soon, a year too early...and thats possibly valid.

Long term though, I think we can agree that we're better off with him not being here.

Brian Matusz, Jake Arrietta, Chris Tillman.

If any single one of them is up here and ready to go on opening day in his spot in the rotation, then I guess I'll say I'm satisfied with letting him go. I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that I'll probably end up watching Redding or Looper go out there and struggle every fifth day. To be honest with you my preference is to sign someone like Uehara.

Why would you let DCab go and then go out and try to sign Redding and Looper?

I agree Redding and Looper is not an upgrade but there comes a time when you have to cut ties. We do not know how much Daniels struggles have frustrated the FO, coaching staff and team. I have listened to Palmer and Dave Johnson and they seem to have given up hope. If that is the feeling throughout then they did the right thing. I just hope we at least look into Ben Sheets. He is plenty young enough to be part of the long range plan and just enough of a risk to be obtained at a reasonable rate . 3/35??

No guts no glory.

One guy that might be able to help Daniel is fellow Dominican & Nats Special Asst to the GM Jose Rijo.

Rijo was signed by the Yankees as a 15-year-old (one of the last before the rules chaged) and got rushed to the big leagues by 18. He had flashes of brilliance in four American League seasons that were largely overshadowed by control problems and immaturity. Once Rijo got to the NL though, he developed into as good a pitcher as you'll ever see until arm problems ruined his career.

Nats skipper Manny Acta hails from Daniel's hometown of San Pedro de Macoris. I like this move for him and believe he'll pitch well there. Hope they get him some runs.

Archived