DCab Stays Close. Signs One Year With Nationals

Elon Os Fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cabrera will get $2.6M to play for the Nationals in 2009.

The $2.6M is an indication that the O's had enough of Cabrera and walked away from him. I though earlier that the O's were afraid of what he would get in arbitration and released him for that fact. However, the $2.6M is well within the salary cut that the O's could have offered him before he was released. Futhermore, when Cabrera tested the market and found his value in that range you have to think his agent went back to the O's and offered to sign for that amount. However, the O's must have turned him down.

This a curious because now the O's are probably faced with paying more for pitchers who are older and have less upside like Redding and Looper. However what they would get with these signing is pitchers who might with average years from them perform better then Cabrera has been performing.

The $2.6M is an indication that the O's had enough of Cabrera and walked away from him. I though earlier that the O's were afraid of what he would get in arbitration and released him for that fact. However, the $2.6M is well within the salary cut that the O's could have offered him before he was released. Futhermore, when Cabrera tested the market and found his value in that range you have to think his agent went back to the O's and offered to sign for that amount. However, the O's must have turned him down.

This a curious because now the O's are probably faced with paying more for pitchers who are older and have less upside like Redding and Looper. However what they would get with these signing is pitchers who might with average years from them perform better then Cabrera has been performing.

I disagree with your logic. If the O's had offered DCab arbitration he would have ended up making $3.5 mm or so. Same is true for Redding. DCab is now signed for $2.6 mm, and I bet Redding can be had for about the same. So if the O's sign him the result is each team saves about $1 mm compared to what would have happened if they just offered their own guy arbitration.

Now, whether I'd rather have DCab than Redding is an interesting question. DCab's much younger and I suppose you have to say he has more upside. I think the O's just got tired of pitchers who can't throw strikes, hold runners or field their position, and who finished almost every season on a down note.

Cabrera has the upside to go out and dominate a team on any given night. He has the upside to pitch like a CY contender for stretches at a time.

The others do not.

If the numbers are ultimately going to be similar, why not go with the upside?

He does have that, no doubt. I just think the downside(s) outweigh the up. After all these years, he just can't seem to harness his talents for more than a couple starts.

Apparently it's about one million less than we would have paid him. Personally, I'd rather have paid him than bring in someone like Redding. But that's just me. At least Cabrera has some upside. With Redding, it's a poor man's Steve Trachsel. :eektf:

2006 - 9.55 K/9, 1.51 K/BB, 1.581 WHIP, .241 BAVG, .364 OBP, .359 SLG

2007 - 7.31 K/9, 1.54 K/BB, 1.542 WHIP, .265 BAVG, .363 OBP, .414 SLG

2008 - 4.75 K/9, 1.06 K/BB, 1.606 WHIP, .286 BAVG, .376 OBP, .450 SLG

With upsides like these, it is a wonder that the ballclub just let him walk away... :eek:

I disagree with your logic. If the O's had offered DCab arbitration he would have ended up making $3.5 mm or so. Same is true for Redding. DCab is now signed for $2.6 mm, and I bet Redding can be had for about the same. So if the O's sign him the result is each team saves about $1 mm compared to what would have happened if they just offered their own guy arbitration.

Now, whether I'd rather have DCab than Redding is an interesting question. DCab's much younger and I suppose you have to say he has more upside. I think the O's just got tired of pitchers who can't throw strikes, hold runners or field their position, and who finished almost every season on a down note.

Frobby, I have no idea what you are disagreeing with. I did not say anything about the O's taking Cabrera through the arbitration process. What I said was that Cabrera made 2.875M last year. They can cut his salary by 20%, so they could have offered him 2.6M. If he would no accept it and wanted to test the market (which apparently is what happen) then they could offer him 2.6M to return to the O's. I have a hard time thinking that his agent did not talk to the O's right before he signed with the Nationals unless the O's had made it clear they did want him at such a price. Therefore I conclude that the O's did not want him a 2.6m which is kind of wierd because I think Redding and Looper will both get more then that.

This all seems to be pretty close to what you a saying accept your first sentence which starts out disagreeing with me and I don't really understand what that is all about.

As far as the O's being tired on a guy that can't throw strikes, If the O's are going to go bottom feeding for veteran starters that is about what they are go to end up with. FA starters of any type that cost 2.6m will be flaw in some fashion.

Archived