So, who starts Friday?

terpoh

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Interesting that Strasburg started at home his first game against the Pirates. Harper started on the road in a late night Dodger game 

Would anyone actually say to themself,  Ah, Grayson is making his OPACY debut but it isn't his ML debut so I don't care about going?

If you're hyped about seeing him I don't see why it would make a difference.

Wouldn’t there be more excitement if the team actually played well during this stretch against the NYY and Sawx. We just beat Cole. AR is up. We’re healthy. Now let’s bring up GR.  It’s time.

Imagine announcing that and getting the team hyped for these next 7 tough games. 

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

GrayRod has nothing left to work on or prove at AAA, in my opinion.  He deserves a promotion on merit, and because of Watkins' injury there happens to be a space for him, in his rotation slot.   I don't think this should even be a close call for Elias.  

Until he learns to throw 100+ pitches when they pull him after 80 he won't be ready for the majors.

24 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't know that the bump in attendance was that significant but it was certainly a dog a pony show.  His family on the pregame show, standing ovation as he came out, Elias hugging his Mom after he gets his first hit. 

If I'm a pure marketing consultant, next homestand sales I feel are maximized if he shows well against the Red Sox.

Agree on the dog and pony aspect, and expect Grayson's family to get the same love Adley's did.   Here is where the pregame show being produced from Camden while the team is on the road could be problematic.   They can't have their goosebumps moment on the panel with Rob Long if their son is in Boston.

Maybe Kevin Brown or Scott Garceau could pull something together in a Fenway hallway.

Or....Roy Firestone, where are you?   There's this gig this weekend the Orioles might need a little help with.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn’t 80 the new 100?  Either way, I’d rather him be throwing 80 up here than 80 in AAA. 

Plus, the pitches are just data, and it's cosmically meaningless if Pat Valaika or Rafael Devers is batting third.

Grayson alas hasn't proven he can handle the Gwinnett lineup with its Valaika centerpiece.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Until he learns to throw 100+ pitches when they pull him after 80 he won't be ready for the majors.

Watkins has thrown between 57 and 81 pitches in his starts this year. Even if Grayson is limited he wouldn't be any worse than what we've got. 

Really, the only reasons for Elias to NOT promote him for this start are: super-2 and wanting him to debut at home. 

I'm not sure it's necessary for Grayson to debut at home. Sure, Rutschman debuted at home, but they didn't really market it all that well. They didn't announce it early to really allow for a great attendance bump. They played it up with some pomp and circumstance, but they can do that for his home debut the following homestand.