Rosenthal: O's pushing hard for Looper, Redding

section36

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following threads like this for awhile, here's my two cents, some of it's been heard before, so apologies in advance for that. With regards to Looper and Redding, they seem to have put up respectable numbers, but take the divisions they pitched in into account. Looper would be coming from the NL Central and Redding the NL East. Both divisions are respectable but this past year were less competitive than the A.L. East. So, it is likely that they'll have a tougher time putting up the same numbers they each had in '08. Having said that, here's my wish list for the '08 rotation:

1.)Guthrie

2.)Sheets

3.)Livan Hernandez

4.)Kawakami

5.)Looper

It's hard to gauge how well a Japanese starter will fare in the Majors, so I'd go with one at best, and stack him further down the line. Looper would do the least damage at the #5 slot if he flops, but Sheets and Hernandez would be much more reliable. By the way, no one seems to have mention Hernandez before, but he's exactly what we need, a veteran workhorse who'll log all of his innings and doesn't have a high price tag. He's the first guy we should go after IMO

Sheets and Kawakami should be the target...And if you are afraid to sign them, I would trade for a guy with one year left(like Marquis) or present 1 year offers to several guys...the first 2 to accept get the job.

Giving any of these guys more than 1 year is terrible.

I agree with you, when you're looking at Redding and Looper, you're admitting that 2009 is a lost year and you're looking forward to 2010. Go after Sheets and try to make the deal with the Cubs (Marquis, Pie, Hill for Scott). Best case scenario you get the inside track on extending Sheets, you get an innings eater in Marquis for 1 year, you get the potential and defense of Pie, and you get a shot at a future #2 or #3 starter. Worst case scenario, You get a great part-time starter for a few years, you get a 1-year innings eater, you get an OF that can't make it, and you get a young lefty head case. Obviously, you will probably fall somewhere in the middle of those two cases. Meanwhile you have given up a platoon OF who has no real long-term future with the O's. Whether you keep Scott or trade him, 2009 will be a long losing season, so you might as well take the risk.

I agree with you, when you're looking at Redding and Looper, you're admitting that 2009 is a lost year and you're looking forward to 2010. Go after Sheets and try to make the deal with the Cubs (Marquis, Pie, Hill for Scott). Best case scenario you get the inside track on extending Sheets, you get an innings eater in Marquis for 1 year, you get the potential and defense of Pie, and you get a shot at a future #2 or #3 starter. Worst case scenario, You get a great part-time starter for a few years, you get a 1-year innings eater, you get an OF that can't make it, and you get a young lefty head case. Obviously, you will probably fall somewhere in the middle of those two cases. Meanwhile you have given up a platoon OF who has no real long-term future with the O's. Whether you keep Scott or trade him, 2009 will be a long losing season, so you might as well take the risk.

Yep...Can't disagree with anything you say here.

No they are not.

Looper is at least above league average, something we havent had since Bedard and Guthrie.

I'm almost positive he would be below league average pitching in the AL East.

If we sign these guys for one year, then whatever. However, anything more than one year is stupid and irresponsible.

I've been following threads like this for awhile, here's my two cents, some of it's been heard before, so apologies in advance for that. With regards to Looper and Redding, they seem to have put up respectable numbers, but take the divisions they pitched in into account. Looper would be coming from the NL Central and Redding the NL East. Both divisions are respectable but this past year were less competitive than the A.L. East. So, it is likely that they'll have a tougher time putting up the same numbers they each had in '08. Having said that, here's my wish list for the '08 rotation:

1.)Guthrie

2.)Sheets

3.)Livan Hernandez

4.)Kawakami

5.)Looper

It's hard to gauge how well a Japanese starter will fare in the Majors, so I'd go with one at best, and stack him further down the line. Looper would do the least damage at the #5 slot if he flops, but Sheets and Hernandez would be much more reliable. By the way, no one seems to have mention Hernandez before, but he's exactly what we need, a veteran workhorse who'll log all of his innings and doesn't have a high price tag. He's the first guy we should go after IMO

Livan Hernandez is terrible. If we can get him on a Mil deal and stick him in AAA for insurance, then go ahead, but he should have no part of our OD rotation.

Archived