30% of the season over; How are the O's doing?

wildcard

Nice summary.   I’m not putting too much stock in the easier strength of schedule coming up.   I’ve just seen too many times in the past where the team has stumbled over a supposedly easy stretch of games, or thrived when the schedule was difficult.   

Overall, I think the team will hit as well or better than it has to date.   They were ice cold for most of April with some players hitting into extremely bad luck, then they had a stretch of about a week in May when three of their better hitters were all out at the same time.  The O’s were 14th in the AL in OPS for April (.604 vs. league average .669), but 9th in May (.681 vs. .695).   I feel like May is a more accurate barometer.   I also expect Adley to hit once he gets his land legs.   So, mark it down that I think the offense will be pretty close to league average.   

Pitching will decide where the team goes from here.   In April our starters were 11th in ERA (3.76 vs. 3.59 league average); in May, a distant 14th (5.55 vs. 3.90).   The bullpen has held thngs together so far; 8th in April (3.46 vs. 3.35), 4th in May (2.98 vs. 3.92).   But I worry that the bullpen won’t hold up if the starters continue their May trend and the pen is forced to cover too many innings.   I’m praying Rodriguez will be what we hope and be a reliable source of 5-7 innings once he’s called up.  

Overall, as I said elsewhere, I think this team could win 55 games or 70.   Pitching will determine which it is.  

• Upvote 2

@wildcard nice write up. Really well done. 

Why not sell off Mancini, Santander, Lyles, Odor, and López. Tate too if he has value.

Some of those are better than others, but I would specifically sell high on the bullpen arms. We need RF open for Stowers, and DH open for AR. I wouldn’t say it would be a firesale but it would be selling our most expensive players for younger/cheaper options. 

Overall, we’re playing better than I expected, especially with the bats being cold. I expect the offense to bounce back if healthy. I don’t think trading the players mentioned hurts next year’s chances either. Especially if we could get some pitching depth. 

We were 7-14 in April and are now 14-15 in May. Several of the loses this month coming during games that featured very weak lineups due to injury (Tigers series). With the addition of AR and Stowers probably next up, we just seem better positioned to deal with injuries on the offense.  Add in Grayson and potentially Hall I have to think May is a much better reflection of this team than April.  

4 hours ago, scottbbfm said:

We were 7-14 in April and are now 14-15 in May. Several of the loses this month coming during games that featured very weak lineups due to injury (Tigers series). With the addition of AR and Stowers probably next up, we just seem better positioned to deal with injuries on the offense.  Add in Grayson and potentially Hall I have to think May is a much better reflection of this team than April.  

I think the combination of the two months is the best reflection of the team.  

June is Grayson's month and I feel a good month can get Hall here around 4th of July.

I expect the White Sox to go on a run and make it seven challengers for the six berths; the Angels and Twins feel the flimsiest of the current playoff spot holders.

I hope in the second half to see the As Is $30mm Orioles play like the 8th best team in the league, and entering the offseason not feel like outplaying the 2023 Angels/Twins is any sort of ridiculousness even if payroll grows by $15mm, not $50mm.

Re-balance that schedule and unleash the entire AL East on the rest of baseball.   

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

June is Grayson's month and I feel a good month can get Hall here around 4th of July.

I expect the White Sox to go on a run and make it seven challengers for the six berths; the Angels and Twins feel the flimsiest of the current playoff spot holders.

I hope in the second half to see the As Is $30mm Orioles play like the 8th best team in the league, and entering the offseason not feel like outplaying the 2023 Angels/Twins is any sort of ridiculousness even if payroll grows by $15mm, not $50mm.

Re-balance that schedule and unleash the entire AL East on the rest of baseball.   

I don’t trust the Angels. I think the Twins can hang. Solid lineup. Underachiever last year. 

I think NYY, TB, TOR, MINN, CWS and HOU are the playoff teams. I still think Boston will hang around. Long term that 3rd WC will keep more teams engaged deeper into season. 

14-15 in May.  With a game to go.  Not a lot of off days.  I am impressed really.  No, this isn't a good team, though there are glimmers of hope.  It is the makings of a decent foundation.  Defensively the O's seem better defensively by orders of magnitude. The pen, as Wildcard shows above has been spectacular.  These two things are new for the Orioles.  

The offense should improve, but it will require the starting pitching to improve to hold a near .500 pace.  I am cautiously optimistic, but if we are still 26th in the Majors at the all star break, the bull pen will have a hard time staying top 5 in the Majors.

And as always, it will be the pitching that determines which side of 60+ wins the O's get.  I hoped for 67 and they are on a pace this AM for 68.

Regardless, if we can trade anyone for young playable talent, esp pitching...we have to do it.